NFL chat thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the difference was the QBs. One thing I don't understand is why the Bears went for a FG trailing by 7 that late in the game. Three points still means you have to score a TD next time. They should have gone for it, even if it was 4th and long. At minimum, you put the Pats deep in their territory, instead of setting up for a nice return near the 30.

Regardless though, it was the QBs who made the difference and while I do believe that the Bears are the class of the Conference and the League, I have serious doubts about whether Rex Grossman can take them all the way. Too many poorly thrown balls too often.

Pats turnovers and a couple of questionable calls (including an obvious non-call) kept the score close. Pats should have scored more and it was a frustrating game to watch if you are a Patriot fan. Damn receivers couldn't hold on to the damned ball. Even Corey Dillon fumbled at the end. You have to credit the great Bear defence as well, but that one sequence where Watson fumbled (again!) and Roche Caldwell picking it up and running with it only to fumble himself was really frustrating. Caldwell could have fallen on the ball.

At least we got the win that we deserved. Pats were better today.

Pats turnovers and a couple of questionable calls (including an obvious non-call) kept the score close. Pats should have scored more and it was a frustrating game to watch if you are a Patriot fan. Damn receivers couldn't hold on to the damned ball. Even Corey Dillon fumbled at the end. You have to credit the great Bear defence as well, but that one sequence where Watson fumbled (again!) and Roche Caldwell picking it up and running with it only to fumble himself was really frustrating. Caldwell could have fallen on the ball.

Deserved because of how poorly the Bears played, yes. But I disagree about how "questionable" the calls were. 99.9% of the difference today was the play of the QBs. The Pats weren't better; Brady was.

I thought that the Eagles defense was supposed to be good, that it "carried the team" as Rush Limbaugh said. Through three quarters so far, they've stunk.

On the other hand, Jeff Garcia has looked pretty good, not like a 36 year old who hasn't played much for a couple of years. Right now he is 14 for 17 with 1 TD and 0 INTs.

edit for Canadian spelling!

Edited by GA Russell

Pats-Bears game is a real war so far.

Lots of turnovers, injuries...really physical.

These are two good teams playing to win.

As a Bears fan, I'm naturally biased, but I have to disagree nonetheless: this was a TERRIBLE game. Nine turnovers??? That's pathetic. I agree: bring in Griese. Grossman's starting to look like Bledsoe out there. And who decided to call for a long pass on first down with less than two minutes to go? Geez, make some short passes and get outta bounds! How simple is that? Nope, the Bears deserved to lose today. Just sickening!

Pats-Bears game is a real war so far.

Lots of turnovers, injuries...really physical.

These are two good teams playing to win.

As a Bears fan, I'm naturally biased, but I have to disagree nonetheless: this was a TERRIBLE game. Nine turnovers??? That's pathetic. I agree: bring in Griese. Grossman's starting to look like Bledsoe out there. And who decided to call for a long pass on first down with less than two minutes to go? Geez, make some short passes and get outta bounds! How simple is that? Nope, the Bears deserved to lose today. Just sickening!

This is ignoring the Bears' offensive plan, which is run, run, throw a bomb up there and allow the receivers to make plays. This is the very strategy which allowed them to blow out teams 45-0. Today's game is no different than what they've been trying all season. It's just that it can go horribly wrong as well, as we saw in the AZ game and the Miami loss.

Pats were prepared for this. Both of our starting safeties were out for this game. But it was game planning which allowed us to make those plays on defence.

Sure, go ahead and trot out Griese. Bears will have to come up with a different offensive game plan, but they will no longer be blowing some teams out 45-0.

Deserved because of how poorly the Bears played, yes. But I disagree about how "questionable" the calls were. 99.9% of the difference today was the play of the QBs. The Pats weren't better; Brady was.

Without the bogus pass interference call on Artrell Hawkins, the Bears wouldn't have scored on that play. Chad Jackson was obviously interfered with when the Bear db shielded his face mask, and this would likely have ended in another Patriot score. Officiating was terribly inconsistent. Turnovers and play calling kept this game close.

I'll always support Tom Brady's value on the team. No one can deny it. We also have to understand that he's got very little support from his wideouts. Right now, our #1 receiver was San Diego's #4 last year (Reche Caldwell)

But the whole team wanted this game more than the Chicago players did. In the end, that's what makes the difference.

Brady had some bad plays too. He threw a high ball on the last interception. He's a winner though, and he's always there at the end giving us a chance to win the ballgame.

We've got a great quarterback; and right now we've got some "green" receivers.

Also, give some credit to the Patriot defence. I thought our defensive backfield was a bit shaky with all the injuries, but the Bears were in a similar situation.

DE Richard Seymour had four tackles, one sack, one pass defended, one fumble recovery and a blocked field goal. We've got a damned fine defence too! :g

Our offensive line did a great job. No sacks allowed from the league's best defence.

With the Patriots, it is always a team win (or a team loss.) Brady is a future Hall of Famer--we know that, but the Pats' success is always about TEAM.

Also, what is up with the Giants? That was one helluva meltdown in the fourth quarter against the lowly Titans. Vince Young showed why us Longhorns fans were so sad to see him go last year.

Man, if anyone'd told me the Cows would be in first after the Thanksgiving holiday, I'd still be laughing. Next week's contest between these two teams oughta be VERRRRRRRY interesting!

Now, if the Cows had lost, they'd be calling for Vanderjunk's head on a platter. I'm still not sure they won't be, anyway. Missing two field goals like that is unacceptable, and even his PA attempts almost went too far right.

I agree, he's definitely not earned his big paycheck this season. He was a slacker in the preseason, and hasn't shown the accuracy that he's been known for during the regular season either. Plus his short kickoffs have hurt, giving opponents the ball regularly at around the 30 yrd line. I don't think they'll cut him tomorrow, since the Cowboys have a game on Thursday, but it might not be surprising if he's gone after that.

Surprise of surprises, 8 days later the Cowboys have cut Vanderjagt, and signed Martin Gramatica.