Lee Morgan's The Cooker

Durium

I liked his Just One Of Those Things version with Pepper Adams playing an imporant part.

That was some of the earliest Lee Morgan I ever heard. On the 70s blue label LP 'Lee Morgan Memorial Album' (a fabulous introduction to his Blue Notes, in itself).

'The Cooker' retains its freshness, to this day..

As I wrote in my web log I also have City Lights, recorded a month before The Cooker.

Keep swinging

durium

I think that Lee's music from this period is just fine, but I've never found it to be particularly distinctive from the rest of the hard bop coming out of Blue Note at the time. He was a very expressive trumpeter, especially given his age. But to me, he sounds like just that, a very good trumpeter, and there is nothing wrong with that. But with his sixties stuff, he became a voice, and to me, there is just no comparision between the two eras.

I feel the similarly about a few other artists who came of age during the Blue Note hard bop days. There is nothing wrong with their early stuff at all....its very good music. I just don't find myself reaching for "The Cooker" like I do "The Gigolo", "Tom Cat" or "Cornbread".

I think that Lee's music from this period is just fine, but I've never found it to be particularly distinctive from the rest of the hard bop coming out of Blue Note at the time. He was a very expressive trumpeter, especially given his age. But to me, he sounds like just that, a very good trumpeter, and there is nothing wrong with that. But with his sixties stuff, he became a voice, and to me, there is just no comparision between the two eras.

I feel the similarly about a few other artists who came of age during the Blue Note hard bop days. There is nothing wrong with their early stuff at all....its very good music. I just don't find myself reaching for "The Cooker" like I do "The Gigolo", "Tom Cat" or "Cornbread".

Agreed (especially 'The Gigolo'), and his last albums ('Live at the Lighthouse' and 'Lee Morgan') are equally magnificent and even more distinctive. He's one Blue Note artist (John Patton and Larry Young are two others) who seems to have been able to totally reinvent himself post-hardbop without a hint of sellout. Very wonderful occurrence considering the obvious artistic cul-de-sac he was in during the late 60's ('Charisma', 'Carumba',etc.).

AFAIC, this has THE definitive version of "A Night in Tunisia!" :tup

I agree with Al. :o:g:g:lol::lol:

Well I don't.

There are so many versions of this tune. . . this is not one of my favorite ones.

But . . . you go guys! :excl:

I don't either. I love the 'Jazz at Massey Hall' version, and the Art Blakey version on Blue Note, off the top of my head.

Well I don't.

There are so many versions of this tune. . . this is not one of my favorite ones.

I don't either. I love the 'Jazz at Massey Hall' version, and the Art Blakey version on Blue Note, off the top of my head.

The Dutch novelist and jazz authority Jules Deelder, who made some great jazz record compilations ( Deelder Draait, Deelder Draait Door, Deelder Blijft Draaien and his last one Deelderhythm) wrote a story titled Nacht in Tunesië. So open your Dutch languages courses and learn that this story has nothing to do with the tune. :rofl:

Keep swinging

Durium

Well I don't.

The Dutch novelist and jazz authority Jules Deelder, who made some great jazz record compilations ( Deelder Draait, Deelder Draait Door, Deelder Blijft Draaien and his last one Deelderhythm) wrote a story titled Nacht in Tunesië. So open your Dutch languages courses and learn that this story has nothing to do with the tune. :rofl:

yup, you may like your Tunisia, but Tunisia will forget about you by next year.

• 2 years later...

Just reviving this thread because in my improv class today we were listening to this great version of Night in Tunisia. I recently put my Lee 50s Mosaic into my iPod and was reminded how much great music there was from this early period. The Cooker, Candy, City Lights- all classic sides. The version of Since I Fell For You from Candy will always be a favorite Lee ballad.

Much love for Lee! :wub:

Just reviving this thread because in my improv class today we were listening to this great version of Night in Tunisia. I recently put my Lee 50s Mosaic into my iPod and was reminded how much great music there was from this early period. The Cooker, Candy, City Lights- all classic sides. The version of Since I Fell For You from Candy will always be a favorite Lee ballad.

Superb-Lee!

I bet FFA never mentions Mogie on his FacePage ever again! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Superb-Lee!

I bet FFA never mentions Mogie on his FacePage ever again! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

High-Lee unlike-Lee. Too many smart-ass friends! :rhappy:

Superb-Lee!

High-Lee unlike-Lee. Too many smart-ass friends! :rhappy:

Yeah............hate them smart-ass friends!

Un-friend-Lee! :angry:

Edited by BFrank