Celebrity jazz fans

Dmitry

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woody Allen[has a band, made Sweet and Lowdown in which I heard the only reference to Buck Clayton in the movies]

Have you seen "Wild Man Blues"? It's a documentary following Allen and his band on a tour. It's pretty funny and quite bizarre.

Other celeb jazz fans:

Kevin Spacey (as mentioned in my UK thread)

Clint Eastwood

Jeff Goldblum (plays piano)

Chevy Chase (plays piano)

Jackie Gleason

Penn Jillette (plays bass)

Malcolm Jamal-Warner (plays bass)

Peter Weller (Robocop; plays trumpet)

Harvey Korman (big jazz fan)

Jack Lemmon (plays piano- once sat in on a gig I was on)

I'm sure there will be many more.....................

Along with Ken Clarke there's John Prescott.

I'm not sure if they are celebrities...though given the state of politics maybe that's exactly what they are!

The strange thing about these two is that Prescott (a Labour man) is the trady whilst Clarke (a Tory) is pretty up to date with his listening. I believe Clarke has been doing a programme on Radio 4 about jazz recently - havn't heard it.

Isn't Julie Christie a jazz fan too? She's never sat at my table!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Apparently there is a little group of politicos at Westminster. I did hear Clarke on JazzFM (when they still played a fair amount of Jazz) once, and he was pretty entertaining. Played some Coltrane if I remember right.

I wasn't actually at Jenny Agutter's table, and perhaps I shouldn't have said gig - more like concert. It was at the QEH and she was just standing there having a drink (?wine) and chatting away. I think I would have melted if I'd have opened my mouth (or put my foot in it).

So I just kept it shut and smiled at her.

Simon Weil

Jenny Agutter (star of The Railway Children, saw her at a gig once).

Spike Milligan (played trumpet)

Kenneth Clarke (ex UK chancellor of the Exchequer)

Doesn't Jenny Aguter have a collection of NYC/W63rd St BN deep grooves and OOP Mosaics ? :excited::excited:

Kenneth Clarke's Radio 4 Jazz show is just being repeated at present (at some useless hour in the morning) and apparently he just 'did' programmes on Miles and Mingus. Sounds like he knows his stuff.

Marty Feldman - once saw him get carried out of Ronnie Scotts half-paralytic with eyes rolling a la Mel Brooks 'Young Frankenstein' :g . Can't remember who was on that night.

Wasn't Princess Margaret also a fan and occasional visitor to Ronnies (to see Oscar Peterson among others) ?

Edited by sidewinder

Alan Greenspan??? If true, I wonder what type of jazz he listens to. Odd to think that the next jazz album you listen to may have been played in the background during a meeting of the Fed.

Alan Greenspan must still be a jazz fan. He was a jazz musician for a time.

He studied at Juilliard (he was there several years before Miles). He played tenor saxophone (and

also clarinet) with the Henry Jerome Orchestra around 1944.

Then he took the wrong road...

Sidewinder. First time I caught the Count Basie band live was at London's Royal Albert Hall back

in 1956, Princess Margaret was there as a Princess and a fan. The Basie band ended the concert

with 'God Save the Queen'.