Junior Mance

Hardbopjazz

Avoid "The Junior Mance Touch" on Polydor. While some would be put off by the song selection and presence of strings, the real drawback on this one is the unbelievably out-of-tune bass playing. How no one caught this at the session is beyond me.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I have two albums, both I play very often as I really like Mance. The first is "Live At The Top" which has David Newman as a guest. Junior has Wilbur Little on bass and Rudy Collins on drums. This is a vinyl on Atlantic, recorded in 1969. It has four tracks, all about nine minuites and Newman features on two.

The second I bought after seeing him in concert a couple of years ago at Snape Maltings, which is in Suffolk in the UK.The concert hall was constructed for classical concerts and the acouctics are supereb. This was something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. It was late summer and the sun was setting over the river and mud flats. A sailing barge was silhouetted making its way down to the sea. I had a really good pint of beer in my hand. Having just heard a really beautiful first half of the concert and in the secure knowledge that second half was still to come, I felt at peace with the world. Most of what he played is on the album, which is called Blues, Ballads and A Train. Released 2002 on Trio and I don't know if my wonderful evening clouds my choice but I think this is a great album.

Cheers Ray

• 3 months later...

I wanted to revive this thread only to express my enjoyment for his Village Vanguard trio recording from 1961. I just purchased this recently and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. This is the only recording I have Junior featured as a leader. I know I have him as a sideman somewhere in my collection. The album title escapes me right now. I will keep in mind the recommendations made in this thread. I've gotta get more of this guy. :tup

Edited by Tom 1960

I have this one as a leader: Here 'Tis

96712230502-l.jpg

Very nice session. He made a few for Sackville.

HERE 'TIS

JUNIOR MANCE

1. Here 'Tis (8:02)

2. Woody 'N You (6:16)

3. Ow (9:51)

4. Con Alma (4:51)

5. Tour de Force (5:48)

6. Tin Tin Deo (9:44)

7. I Waited for You (7:03)

8. Blue 'N' Boogie (6:15)

9. A Night in Tunisia (3:33)

Musicians

* Bill McBirnie - Flute

* Junior Mance - Piano

* Kieran Overs - Bass

* Norman Marshall Villeneuve - Drums

* Reg Schwager - Guitar

Dexter Gordon with The Junior Mance Trio: Live At Montreux performing Fried Bananas Rhythm-A- Ning Sophisticated Lady, Blue Monk, Body and Soul, The Panther

Let's see: LTD in '73 making what I believe to be his greatest live date with an absolutely smoking Junior Mance.

If you'd never heard Junior before you'd run, not walk, to grab some more.

BTW: I'm not sure if this set is in print outside of the Complete Prestige Recordings Box of Dexter's recordings for the label.

Peace,

Jeff T :D:tup

I love Mance!

My favourites are

Groovin' blues - M&I Japan - talk to Hiroshi

Soul eyes - M&I ditto

Blue Mance

Holy mama - East Wind Japan - talk to Hiroshi

Opus de Funk (with Frank Wess) - Absord Japan - talk to Hiroshi

MG

I like those too.

Groovin' Blues is my favorite.