Toshiba Blue Notes for $10.00

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also informed that their system does not keep current stock on line and that 2 of my titles were not going to ship. I e-mailed them a note expressing my concern that their system might lose them some business.

I told them how I used to order 100's of dollars of Jazz from www.euclidrecords.com but that after getting a bunch of cancelled orders, I stopped shopping there.

If people get a lot of cancelled orders, they'll stop shopping there, which would be too bad because they look like a good alternative source for Japanese CDs.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Man, a year or two ago a sale like this would have left me broke for months, but I seem to already have domestic versions of most of these and I've been sort of going through an "anything but Blue Note" period lately anyway. More for you guys! :cool:

Three Blind Mice, Volume 1 is still in print - I see it around a lot.

Don't know about Volume 2. Haven't seen it in ages.

Got them years ago, of course.

Bertrand.

Bertrand,

Right about Vol. 2. It has been OOP for a long time. Recently spotted one after a long hunt and picked it up at a fair price...

About the sale.. I had a nice basket full but wanted to get some clarification on the TOCJ series numbers. Did a search here ( I know we have talked about it) but my ability to use the search function here is challenged to say the least. Anyway, by the time I got someone on the phone most of the items were sold out...I suggested that next time they needed to provide more information and maybe some pictures so people know what they are buying.... For instance they had two CDs labeled Hank Mobley.. One was the Quintet and the other was Hank Mobley...already had the quintet and the other one was sold before I could get clarification.....Hopefully next time the info will be better.

Got both cds in the mail. Early 90's masters, not Ron McMaster, but done in Japan. Lawrence Marable's Tenorman is great!

What's the catalog number of Tenorman?

I don't think McMaster mastered all non-Blue Note titles, i.e. the ones that were originally issued on other labels.

Edited by J.A.W.

I think the Tenorman that was offered for $10 was from last year's batch of west coast 1500 yen CDs. Am I right?

That TOCJ series was indeed mastered by Toshiba engineers and released in the last few years; they're not masters from the early 1990s.

Edited by J.A.W.

I think the Tenorman that was offered for $10 was from last year's batch of west coast 1500 yen CDs. Am I right?

I think the copy of "Tenorman" was the old CP28 version, which I seem to remember Cuscuna telling me was done by Ron McMaster. You can tell if it's the first issue if there's a bonus track. I don't believe the leader plays on it, which is why it was taken off on the recent reissue.

FWIW, a search on hmv.co.jp reveals many titles now in the 1500 yen price slot, including recently lots of the PJ titles that came out in the SBJC 24 bit series.

Unfortunately, many of these 1,500 Yen releases are remastered pretty loud. So unless you're looking for a specific title that you don't have and not an audio upgrade, these CDs aren't very appealing.

This bums me out. I used to salivate over Japanese reissues, expecting them to sound better. Now that the Japanese mastering engineers have joined in the Loudness Wars, they're pumping out over-compressed music like everyone else.

Kevin

FWIW, a search on hmv.co.jp reveals many titles now in the 1500 yen price slot, including recently lots of the PJ titles that came out in the SBJC 24 bit series.

Unfortunately, many of these 1,500 Yen releases are remastered pretty loud. So unless you're looking for a specific title that you don't have and not an audio upgrade, these CDs aren't very appealing.

This bums me out. I used to salivate over Japanese reissues, expecting them to sound better. Now that the Japanese mastering engineers have joined in the Loudness Wars, they're pumping out over-compressed music like everyone else.

Kevin

I agree about the sound. They are a good way to pick up otherwise hard-to-find titles. As far as the PJ titles go, some are remastered by RVG, others (newly) remastered by Ron McMaster. Don't ask me which ones. I guess people who like recent remasters by these two will know what to expect.

Edited by David Ayers

Kevin

I agree about the sound. They are a good way to pick up otherwise hard-to-find titles. As far as the PJ titles go, some are remastered by RVG, others (newly) remastered by Ron McMaster. Don't ask me which ones. I guess people who like recent remasters by these two will know what to expect.

The Japanese 1,500 yen TOCJ series was 24-bit mastered by Japanese Toshiba engineers, not by RVG or McMaster.

Kevin

The Japanese 1,500 yen TOCJ series was 24-bit mastered by Japanese Toshiba engineers, not by RVG or McMaster.

Ohhhhhh. I was under the impression that the former SBJC titles were straight reissues. Am I wrong then?