CJ Shearn

Chester Thompson

30 posts in this topic

I really love CT's playing with Santana, he is always tasteful and groovin, and his solo "Amazing Grace" from keyboard.tv is great too. Has he made any other albums as a leader besides "Powerhouse" on Black Jazz?

Have you heard his earlier work with Tower Of Power?

some of it, the "Squib Cakes" solo for example. what a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad solo!

I believe these are two different Chester Thompsons. One is a drummer, the other an organist, who made the "Powerhouse" album.

Haven't played it in a while. Thanks for the reminder. It's great!

MG

But the Chester Thompson who played with Tower of Power (whose "classic" drummer was Dave Garibaldi) is an organist, and is the same one who make "Powerhouse". He's also played w/Santana.

To confuse matters further, Chester Thompson the drummer had a stint with Weather Report, but it's Chester thompson the organist who plays on the recently released Santana/Shorter album on which at least one tune ("Elegant People") that Chester Thompson the drummer had orignally played on.

I believe these are two different Chester Thompsons. One is a drummer, the other an organist, who made the "Powerhouse" album.

Haven't played it in a while. Thanks for the reminder. It's great!

MG

Maybe you meant to say "I believe there are two different Chester Thompsons"...? :)

yeah Chester C. Thompson, the Genesis and WR drummer I am not talking about. Talkin about the organist :)

I do not know of any other solo records by Chester Thompson (the organist) besides Powerhouse. The current organist in ToP, Roger Smith, is a bad dude as well.

But the Chester Thompson who played with Tower of Power (whose "classic" drummer was Dave Garibaldi) is an organist, and is the same one who make "Powerhouse". He's also played w/Santana.

To confuse matters further, Chester Thompson the drummer had a stint with Weather Report, but it's Chester thompson the organist who plays on the recently released Santana/Shorter album on which at least one tune ("Elegant People") that Chester Thompson the drummer had orignally played on.

Thanks - I didn't know he'd played with ToP and Santana. Thought the only recording he'd made was "Powerhouse".

MG

Chester Thompson's best Tower of Power work is considered classic, perhaps even iconic, in certain circles.

Chester Thompson's best Tower of Power work is considered classic, perhaps even iconic, in certain circles.

:tup Damn Straight!!!

Unfortunately, that bastard CT also stole my bike when I was twelve, and then killed my grandma with her own cane! :angry:

Unfortunately, that bastard CT also stole my bike when I was twelve, and then killed my grandma with her own cane! :angry:

Never knew she was impaired. :mellow:

Never knew she was impaired. :mellow:

Oops! I was thinking about THIS CT. My humble apologies to Mr. Thompson, fine organist and humanitarian. ;)

IM GONNA SEE THE REAL CHESTER THOMPSON IN OCTOBER!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're both real - do you mean the organist?

MG

thanks for the rather deep reply Aric :rolleyes:

Edited by CJ Shearn

Aric don't be a jerk alright? I don't care that much for Genesis or prog rock. We were talking about Chester Thompson the ORGANIST with ToP and Santana. I thought there was a thread on prog somewhere on here.

Chester Thompson has some videos up on the Keyboard Magazine TV website: www.keyboardmag.tv. Click on ---> Lessons ---> How To Play and then look for the vids prefaced by CT:

In a few he's playing the XK System, although the audio is kinda whack.

Nice article, bdamusic. Thanks,

Must try to remember to get that Doodlin' album.

MG

Chris cain is weird. A Greek African American Fusion guitarist who does BB King impersonations. Awesome player :g