Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alocispepraluger102

the jazz dulcimer

18 posts in this topic

anyone know of any jazz dulcimer recordings.

aloc loves the sound of the dulcimer(not that hammered thing)

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Pehraps you should rephrase that question minus the word "good". The question is whether there are any jazz dulcimer recordings.

Someone, somewhere, has probably given it a try.

The Hungarian tenor player Mihaly Dresch uses a cimbalom in his quintet. The quintet mixes jazz with folk elements but the cimbalom which is very similar to the dulcimer makes a very attractive sound.

The Hungarian tenor player Mihaly Dresch uses a cimbalom in his quintet. The quintet mixes jazz with folk elements but the cimbalom which is very similar to the dulcimer makes a very attractive sound.

thank you. his music sounds very interesting.

Cooper-Moore (then Gene Ashton) played the instrument as a sideman on saxophonist Alan Braufman's Valley of Search (India Navigation). Also in attendance were Cecil McBee, and drummers David Lee Jr. and Ralph Williams.

Probably deep in the mix, Henry Threadgill plays hackbrett (Austrian/German dulcimer) on Roscoe Mitchell's "The Maze".

Probably deep in the mix, Henry Threadgill plays hackbrett (Austrian/German dulcimer) on Roscoe Mitchell's "The Maze".

Thanks for that cool piece of "trivia*"! :tup

*Not that I'm saying it's trivial or anything.

Thanks for that cool piece of "trivia*"! :tup

*Not that I'm saying it's trivial or anything.

it's hard to consider anything that henry threadgill performs as trivial.

Herbie Mann's very last CD "Eastern European Roots" has cymbalom player Alexander Fedoriouk.

But this is the hammered type:

cimbalom.JPG

But wasn't the initial question for the plucked/strummed type, the real dulcimer? Looks like this:

dulcimer.jpg

This%20man%20playing%20the%20mountain%20dulcimer%20travelled%20from%20Missouri%20for%20the%20festival.jpg

Colin Walcott used one of these on the original recording of "Witchi-Tai-To" on one of Oregon's earliest records, but it wasn't jazz ...

Edited by mikeweil

well, there's a few Don Braden CDs I can think of, a lot of Wynton, too many Keith Jarrets to remember -

wait - didn't you say DULL jazz recordings?

never mind...

Edited by AllenLowe

Didn't McCoy Tyner use a dulcimer as an intro on a track on one of his Milestone albums?

Codona also featured a dulcimer.

Didn't McCoy Tyner use a dulcimer as an intro on a track on one of his Milestone albums?

wasnt that a koto, on sahara?

wasnt that a koto, on sahara?

I'm sure you are right - old age strikes again.

"Mode for Dulcimer" on his album "Focal Point"

Yes, that Tyner track - I had that sound in my head but couldn't remember where I heard it.

Since the dulcimer is basically a chordal instrument on a modal basis, it's jazz potential is very limited. You only can strum rhythmic patterns much like a rhythm guitar but not change keys as deliberately.