BFT 54 disc one discussion

Big Al

An unusual disclaimer in place - gonna have to do this one in parts becuase of the time gap between allowable free downloads. Gotta carpe diem, so here's Disc One, Part One, literally just downloaded, and literally "first take" responses. Other than that, the usual thanks & disclaimers are firmly in place, so away weeee gooooo!

TRACK ONE - Wow, intersting metric layering in that intro...intersting writing too...sounds like Clark Terry on the muted portions....gotta be Blakey....open horn still sounds like Terry via Dizzy, accentuating the "corniest" traits of each, not that it matters with what's going on underneath, which is really, really cool, is that pizzicato cello...yeah, that's CT, brighter sound than usual, is he on coronet?

My guess: the lead track from This One

Agggghhhh - Of course it is ! And it was staring at me from the shelf !

I hate it when that happens! :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#2 from the Mosaic?

#4 not Columbia studio? Hmmm... ok. But if it's a Vanguard date, they recorded in that studio. It's a really distinct sound. But if you say it's not, then hey...

The KD Showboat thing was on Time, same as Jazz Contemporary, which appears to generally be more highly regarded. But I'm the oppositie. The band is KD, Heath, Kenny Drew, Jimmy Garrison, & Art Taylor. Heath's solo on "Make Believe" has early Atlantic-era trane dripping from its ever note, and that's not the only one!

Another JH appearance where he's similarly Trane-Tranced is Bunky Green's My Babe on Exodus. That one's been out in various formats, but it's Green, Donald Byrd, & Heath on the front line, pretty hard to overlook in whatever guise you find it in if you see that front line.

Free download available, so off to Part Two.

TRACK NINE - No idea. Pleasant, really like the bassist & percussionist. The tune is familiar, but...am I hearing a clarinet in there? Weird... Guitarist sounds whooly confident & comfortable...really doesn't "do anything" except create a very pleasant zone for 2:49. Far worse things can happen in 2:49 than this...

Nope, it's not a clarinet. In fact, it's the only appearance of a reed on this album, all the more shameful because as you can tell, there's no solo. Never understood why.....

TRACK TEN - Again, no idea, but right away you can tell that it's a more modern recording, and...wow...the lack of depth/presence/whatever in the sound is apparent right away. Digital doesn't have to sound this way, but too often it does...there's a fine line between "comfortable" and "complacent", it's a line we all draw for ourselves, no ultimate right or wrong, but for me, this one is on the complacent side. Damn fine plaers all, just not anything to draw me in, much less keep me there. Oh well!

That's cool. I put this track on here just to gauge reactions; my first reaction when I heard this album was one of comfort, and it sounded like the musicians fed off that feeling of comfort. But given how many times I've seen this in the used bins, I guess I'm in the minority on this one. OH well.....

TRACK ELEVEN - Oh HELL YEAH! "Kissin' Cousins", & not the Elvis one (although this one does have lyrics too!)! Big Al been hittin' the Half Price LP bins, eh? ;) A Mosaic Select of this whole series is freakin' IMPERATIVE!!!! GO BOB BERG!!! I wasn't always a fan, but here...YEAH! I was actually thinking about this one last week, nearly pulled the album oout, but reality intervened, as it is wont to do. So a BIG thanks for droppin' this be-atch RIGHT in my lap! Bob Stewart used to jam the SHIT outta this one on his shows btw. Tasty, groovealiscious, from a legend (anybody needs a hint, listen to the left hand of the piano solo @ about 5:20), with electric bass, and from the 70s. They said it couldn't be done, but fuck them!

Somebody say AMEN and HALLELUJAH!!!! Actually, I found this at an Arlington Public Library book sale, walked outta there with an armload of records for about six bucks! This was one of them (and another record from that sale makes an appearance on disc two). When I first saw it, I thought it was the record you sampled for YOUR BFT #4 waybackwhen! Obviously it wasn't, but oh whatta find it was! I totally agree with you that Mosaic needs to get on the ball with this project!

You're freakin' welcome!!!

TRACK TWELVE - Sounds like more/earlier from above, but with a Riverside studio sound...I dunno...wait, that's Lee, big time, so that's probably what, Take Twelve or whatever that one was? I never really got too much into that one myself...I sure dig Clifford Jordan on this though, might need to go back & relisten just for him.

Yup, that's the one!

I'm only allowed so many quote blocks, so I gotta split this up. Oh well, more padding of the post count!

TRACK THIRTEEN - Gotta be Jo Jones on drums! Sounds like maybe a Hodges riff blues, he had a zillion of 'em (literally!). Budd Johnson, Roy Eldridge, we're in GranzLand fersure! Hawk! Ok, DOH (again!) it's: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:fcfoxqygldke

It's the long jam on here that I always obsess on, but hey, here ya' go here! Not a Rabbit tune, but them two were so stylistically intertwined as to make no nevermind, not about that. Dig the way Ray comes up for that pedal under Ben's opening. Playing the mike like a singer, he is.

Hell, this is a classic record, imo, one of the best, not the least because of Jo Jones.

Jo Jones y'all, JO JONES!!!

Hell yeah! HELL FREAKIN' YEAH!!!!! I dig the way Roy comes shoutin' in for his brief chorus and Papa Jo doesn't just accentuate that entrance, he slaps the shit outta it!!! Anyone else diggin' the guitar player here? One moment soundin' like Freddie Green, then slipping into a Wes bag for hizzown solo?

TRACK FOURTEEN - Georgie Auld? Nah... no idea, really, but I've heard some Auld sides on Philips that kinda take this jazzy/loungey groove to some nice places like this, althouh not usually this...tasty. I like it quite a bit actually, nice melody, nicely played, good arrangement, good functional soloing, first-rate all the way. The tenor's phrasing is just a tad too loose to really be Auld, but if it is, I'll not be surprised.

Too young to be that Auld. (couldn't resist)

TRACK FIFTEEN - Sounds like a Concord band, a bunch of older guys who moved out to LA for warmer weather, more gigs, and less "challenges". It's ok fersure, just not the type of vibe I get into.

Are YOU in for a surprise!

TRACK SIXTEEN - "Second Time Around"...sounds like Oscar Peterson...my opinion remains the same as the first time around. But good god, when people complain about "the dreaded bass direct", hey, this is Exhibit A right here...

You got THAT right! Much as I love this album, it took a loooooooong time for the sound of the bass on this album to grow on me. NOW I understand!

Oh wait, that left hand, now it sounds like Bill Evans... Yeah, it's Bill Evans. The stiffness of the opening statement & the "swing" of the opening lines had me thinking Peterson, funny how that works, but soon enough the Evansosity of it all became apparent.

Y'know, I never really looked at it from that angle, but then after reading this and thinking about the various Evans songs I really enjoy (and there's a good many of them), I start to remember the use of those left-hand chords and realize I love his playing as much for his left hand as his right hand!

Peterson or Evans, such a choice, what is this, the Piano Players You're Supposed To Love But Sangrey Doesn't Have Any Use For part of our test? :g Oh well...plenty of other people have plenty of use for both Oscar Peterson & Bill Evans, so...let then take advantage of the opportunity.

:rofl: I'm pretty sure Larry Kart couldn't've said it better! :tup

Oh well, plenty of great stuff on this one, thanks Al, and I'll be dowloading Disc Two ASAP. Looking forward to it!

Thank YOU! Your commentary was extraordinary, as usual. Nice to know you nailed the Silver tune! I was kinda hoping you would!

#2 from the Mosaic?

Nope!

#4 not Columbia studio? Hmmm... ok. But if it's a Vanguard date, they recorded in that studio. It's a really distinct sound. But if you say it's not, then hey...

Nope, not a Vanguard date!

The KD Showboat thing was on Time, same as Jazz Contemporary, which appears to generally be more highly regarded. But I'm the oppositie. The band is KD, Heath, Kenny Drew, Jimmy Garrison, & Art Taylor. Heath's solo on "Make Believe" has early Atlantic-era trane dripping from its ever note, and that's not the only one!

Another JH appearance where he's similarly Trane-Tranced is Bunky Green's My Babe on Exodus. That one's been out in various formats, but it's Green, Donald Byrd, & Heath on the front line, pretty hard to overlook in whatever guise you find it in if you see that front line.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for those. I'm going thru a pretty serious JH jones right now!

Here we are, Al, for disc 1. An entertaining mixture with a couple of very frustrating ones that I can NEARLY identify...

1 There’s something very familiar about this. It reminds me of the theme from “Gurney Slade” – a British TV comedy series starring Anthony Newley, before he started singing and writing songs. But the trumpet player is a bit to Dizzy-like for it to be that. In fact, this is a lot like some of those Afro-type things that Dizzy did. But with a big band.

So, IS it Diz? Oh, here comes the tune. I KNOW that tune, so familiar, but can’t place it. Oh yes, it’s “Big noise from Winnetka”.

2 Very prominent lead trumpet in this band. Sounds like a much more modern band trying to do something late forties.

3 “Hit the road Jack”? Not quite. Very slinky alto. If this is an arrangement of “Hit the road Jack” it’s a wonderful interpretation.

4 Now this sounds like it might be the same arranger, if not the same band, doing something a bit more adventurous. Is it the same alto player? Definitely not with the trombonist who’s just practicing stretching his chops. Tenor player is OK but doesn’t seem to be showing much character. This is the first one I haven’t greatly enjoyed, Al.

5 “Running wild” in a modern interpretation. They’re trying slightly too hard to inject some humour into this, I’m afraid.

All big bands so far – is this a theme? Almost certainly not, in view of what you said in the sign-up thread.

6 “Good bait” – or another Tadd Dameron tune. Tenor player trying to be as fast as Stitt. Drummer is a bit too enthusiastic, I fear. This isn’t saying too much to me.

7 I’ve got this one. Oh no, I’ve got some other version of the tune. Can’t recall the title but I think it’s a Blue Mitchell number. Can’t say I like the tenor player. Oh, that’s Blue on trumpet. Maybe I HAVE got this. No, I don’t think I recognise this solo. Damn! I wish I could recall the title of this piece!

Best I can come up with is that it’s some Duke Pearson arranged band thing with someone, not Blue, as leader, but with Blue in the band.

8 Another one I think I know. But again, it’s not the version I’ve got. I definitely haven’t got this; I’d certainly remember the trumpet player’s foul-up at the start of his solo. But it’s another Duke Pearson type thing. I don’t think this version is quite on the mark compared to whatever it is that I’ve got – that I also can’t remember the title of.

9 This guy sounds like that guitar player who did some stuff with Diz in the seventies and made a couple of LPs for Milestone - Michael Howell - which I heard when they came out, but couldn’t be asked to buy. Quate nace, but nowt special.

10 This is him again, I think. Piano player is a bit familiar. As above.

11 This has the feel of another Duke Pearson job. I think I recognise the alto player as one of his regulars. And it’s Blue on trumpet. I think it’s Duke on piano.

12 Freddie Hubbard? Sounds a lot like him to me. I like the piano player. I like the tenor player , too. But somehow, overall, I don’t like the whole thing. I think it’s the deliberate way they slow down halfway through each solo; the slow parts don’t seem to relate organically to the fast ones. It’s just like they’re trying to be clever.

13 What’s this, a trombone choir? Oh, there’s a trumpet or so in there too, I think. A very brash, somewhat rough sound that rather wakes you up. So does the tenor player, when he starts soloing. Yes, they’re all trying to make sure we’re not falling asleep. That trumpet player is a bit familiar. Gawd that’s Hawk! So what the fuck IS this? I didn’t get who the third tenor player was but I’m getting a strong Basie feeling about the pianist. But it all doesn’t match up.

Second listen now. The pianist’s first solo doesn’t strike me as Basie but someone more modern doing Basie’s thing. Could the first tenor player be Frank Wess? I ask myself. Clark Terry? Yes, really Hawk. After the drum solo, someone who’s gentle and honking. Ben Webster did that, but it ain’t him. Not Basie but someone doing his stuff on piano.

14 Tenor player with vibes, piano & rhythm, and a Bossa Nova, but not Getz. Could be anyone. Pleasant lounge music. The pianist perks things up a bit with a bit of Cuban stuff, but that isn’t his natural idiom. OK.

15 So there’s this nice vibes player, who sounds a lot like Milt Jackson to me, but the band’s kind of interfering with him – or with me listening to him rather. Not keen.

16 “The good life” piano trio. Doesn’t seem to me to have quite the right feel for this music. Maybe this isn’t the right tempo for the song because it feel a bit rushed.

Here we are, Al, for disc 1. An entertaining mixture with a couple of very frustrating ones that I can NEARLY identify...

Yay! Someone else who enjoyed the BFT! :tup

1 There’s something very familiar about this. It reminds me of the theme from “Gurney Slade” – a British TV comedy series starring Anthony Newley, before he started singing and writing songs. But the trumpet player is a bit to Dizzy-like for it to be that. In fact, this is a lot like some of those Afro-type things that Dizzy did. But with a big band.

So, IS it Diz? Oh, here comes the tune. I KNOW that tune, so familiar, but can’t place it. Oh yes, it’s “Big noise from Winnetka”.

Nope! Wrong on both accounts!

2 Very prominent lead trumpet in this band. Sounds like a much more modern band trying to do something late forties.

Nope! Wrong on both accounts!

3 “Hit the road Jack”? Not quite. Very slinky alto. If this is an arrangement of “Hit the road Jack” it’s a wonderful interpretation.

This is what I love about BFTs: y'all make a call like this and I go back and listen to the tune and think, "Hey, I can hear it, too!" It's not the tune you mentioned, but I can certainly see where you're coming from on this!

4 Now this sounds like it might be the same arranger, if not the same band, doing something a bit more adventurous. Is it the same alto player? Definitely not with the trombonist who’s just practicing stretching his chops. Tenor player is OK but doesn’t seem to be showing much character. This is the first one I haven’t greatly enjoyed, Al.

Again, another guess that made me listen to this tune with new ears. I've only ever listened to this for the arrangement; I've never really paid attention to the soloists because the color of the arrangement took away from the prominence of the soloist. Which is not a bad thing, mind you. So I listened to it again tonight and focused on the soloists; by themselves, eh, we could probably agree to disagree, but again I think the charts either mask any shortcomings or give the soloist more meat to chew on. Take yer pick.

5 “Running wild” in a modern interpretation. They’re trying slightly too hard to inject some humour into this, I’m afraid.

Wow! I'd like to hear your definition of "modern" sometime! :g

All big bands so far – is this a theme? Almost certainly not, in view of what you said in the sign-up thread.

I tell ya, when I put this thing together, I had no theme in mind. In listening to these tunes again, quite a few themes have developed, and if I remember them come answer time, I'll tell y'all about 'em!

Breakin' it up again! I can't resist commenting on y'alls groovy guesses! :tup

6 "Good bait" - or another Tadd Dameron tune. Tenor player trying to be as fast as Stitt. Drummer is a bit too enthusiastic, I fear. This isn't saying too much to me.

And for me, the drummer absolutely KILLS on this song! Ah well, 'twould be a boring world if we all agreed with each other!

7 I've got this one. Oh no, I've got some other version of the tune. Can't recall the title but I think it's a Blue Mitchell number. Can't say I like the tenor player. Oh, that's Blue on trumpet. Maybe I HAVE got this. No, I don't think I recognise this solo. Damn! I wish I could recall the title of this piece!

Best I can come up with is that it's some Duke Pearson arranged band thing with someone, not Blue, as leader, but with Blue in the band.

Duke Pearson, eh? I can't hear that one. But it certainly is Blue, and he is the leader here! Can't believe you don't dig the tenor! Ah well, like I said earlier..... :)

8 Another one I think I know. But again, it's not the version I've got. I definitely haven't got this; I'd certainly remember the trumpet player's foul-up at the start of his solo. But it's another Duke Pearson type thing. I don't think this version is quite on the mark compared to whatever it is that I've got - that I also can't remember the title of.

Again, can't hear the Pearson connection, but then maybe it's because I readily identify this sound with the leader on this date.

Perhaps you're thinking of the Cannonball version?

9 This guy sounds like that guitar player who did some stuff with Diz in the seventies and made a couple of LPs for Milestone - Michael Howell - which I heard when they came out, but couldn't be asked to buy. Quate nace, but nowt special.

10 This is him again, I think. Piano player is a bit familiar. As above.

Wrong on both accounts. However, any recs you can give me for Michael Howell would be cool. I've never heard of the guy. Yet another reason why I love BFTs!

11 This has the feel of another Duke Pearson job. I think I recognise the alto player as one of his regulars. And it's Blue on trumpet. I think it's Duke on piano.

I take it you're a Duke Pearson fan? :D

12 Freddie Hubbard? Sounds a lot like him to me. I like the piano player. I like the tenor player , too. But somehow, overall, I don't like the whole thing. I think it's the deliberate way they slow down halfway through each solo; the slow parts don't seem to relate organically to the fast ones. It's just like they're trying to be clever.

Nope, not Hubbard. I had trouble getting used to the way they slowed down as well, but it grows on you after a while. IMHO, anyway!

13 What's this, a trombone choir? Oh, there's a trumpet or so in there too, I think. A very brash, somewhat rough sound that rather wakes you up. So does the tenor player, when he starts soloing. Yes, they're all trying to make sure we're not falling asleep. That trumpet player is a bit familiar. Gawd that's Hawk! So what the fuck IS this? I didn't get who the third tenor player was but I'm getting a strong Basie feeling about the pianist. But it all doesn't match up.

Second listen now. The pianist's first solo doesn't strike me as Basie but someone more modern doing Basie's thing. Could the first tenor player be Frank Wess? I ask myself. Clark Terry? Yes, really Hawk. After the drum solo, someone who's gentle and honking. Ben Webster did that, but it ain't him. Not Basie but someone doing his stuff on piano.

Wanna bet? ;)

I'm glad you picked up on the piano player. I've always thought that was one of his greatest strengths: the ability to be chameleon-like in emulating the Count and the Duke. But then, that may be giving away the answer to another tune (oh, like I haven't already done that repeatedly around here)!

14 Tenor player with vibes, piano & rhythm, and a Bossa Nova, but not Getz. Could be anyone. Pleasant lounge music. The pianist perks things up a bit with a bit of Cuban stuff, but that isn't his natural idiom. OK.

Lotta people calling this "lounge music" or the like. Yeah, I s'pose so. In the context of the album from which it's lifted, it's actually quite a nice respite. I guess that's what happens when one isolates a track away from its kinfolk!

15 So there's this nice vibes player, who sounds a lot like Milt Jackson to me, but the band's kind of interfering with him - or with me listening to him rather. Not keen.

Boy, are some of y'all gonna be surprised when you find out who's playing vibes!

16 "The good life" piano trio. Doesn't seem to me to have quite the right feel for this music. Maybe this isn't the right tempo for the song because it feel a bit rushed.

Speaking of that, I've always wondered why this song was faded out. Maybe the tape was running and the trio started futzing around on this tune; perhaps they stopped abruptly only to find out they had something halfway decent. I could speculate all day. Sure seems like the bass player is throwing a few people for a loop around here. Good! :g

Great guesses, MG! Can't wait to see your comments to disc two! :tup

Edited by Big Al

7 I've got this one. Oh no, I've got some other version of the tune. Can't recall the title but I think it's a Blue Mitchell number. Can't say I like the tenor player. Oh, that's Blue on trumpet. Maybe I HAVE got this. No, I don't think I recognise this solo. Damn! I wish I could recall the title of this piece!

Best I can come up with is that it's some Duke Pearson arranged band thing with someone, not Blue, as leader, but with Blue in the band.

Duke Pearson, eh? I can't hear that one. But it certainly is Blue, and he is the leader here! Can't believe you don't dig the tenor! Ah well, like I said earlier..... :)

I looked through ALL my Blue Mitchell CDs and didn't find this.

I should have looked thrugh the fuckin' LPs - oh bleedin' God!

MG

13 What's this, a trombone choir? Oh, there's a trumpet or so in there too, I think. A very brash, somewhat rough sound that rather wakes you up. So does the tenor player, when he starts soloing. Yes, they're all trying to make sure we're not falling asleep. That trumpet player is a bit familiar. Gawd that's Hawk! So what the fuck IS this? I didn't get who the third tenor player was but I'm getting a strong Basie feeling about the pianist. But it all doesn't match up.

Second listen now. The pianist's first solo doesn't strike me as Basie but someone more modern doing Basie's thing. Could the first tenor player be Frank Wess? I ask myself. Clark Terry? Yes, really Hawk. After the drum solo, someone who's gentle and honking. Ben Webster did that, but it ain't him. Not Basie but someone doing his stuff on piano.

Wanna bet? ;)

I'm glad you picked up on the piano player. I've always thought that was one of his greatest strengths: the ability to be chameleon-like in emulating the Count and the Duke. But then, that may be giving away the answer to another tune (oh, like I haven't already done that repeatedly around here)!

Well, Ben honks a little more in this solo than I'm used to in a jazz context - though he does honk a good bit more with R&B singers.

Never knowingly heard Budd Johnson solo before. V nice. I ordered one of his OJCs from Concord last night, I was so impressed.

Actually, this was all fairly quietly recorded. I had the laptop on full volume, but it was often hard to hear, even sitting right over it. That's probably why I heard the saxes as trombones. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it :))

MG

I looked through ALL my Blue Mitchell CDs and didn't find this.

I should have looked thrugh the fuckin' LPs - oh bleedin' God!

MG

:g

Thanks to Al for a BFT that has far more hits than misses - in fact, none of them are clunkers, just a few didn't really grab my attention, as pleasant as the tracks were. The dirty details:

Track 1:

Nice. Gotta be Blakey on drums ... was there a reissue of Blakey leading a big band in the early 50s? For some reason that's what I am thinking of but AMG is no help.

Track 2:

Nice, but no guesses.

Track 3:

Sounds Dukish to me, or at least his guys. Definitely Hodges in there. Classic, that's for sure.

Track 4:

See #2.

Track 5:

Very tight, whoever it is.

Track 6:

Classic Dameron tune, an all-time favorite, "On a Misty Night". So many recordings of this ... but this one has Griff on it.

Track 7:

Was track 6 the pivot point in the programming? Looks like we've moved on from Big Bands to small group bop/post-bop. Sounds like Blue Mitchell, from his Riverside, not BN recordings. Definitely Bu again. Another good 'un.

Track 8:

Very familiar tune, this one is going to annoy me til I find out what it is. That's three great tracks in a row.

Track 9:

Well, that streak came to an end. Not to say its not nice and all, but getting closer to sonic wallpaper here.

Track 10:

More of the same, only more instrumental variety. Not bad, but not to the level of the trio of tunes that came before. Not even close.

Track 11:

No guesses but impossible not to dig this. This is the first cut that is new and exciting enough to make me want to hear more from the LP. :tup

Track 12:

Well, that's Lee, obviously. That sounds like Cliff Jordan on tenor, which brings to mind Take 12. It was the one Morgan recording that I bought early on as OJC vinyl, never replaced on CD, and never really listened as much to as his classic BNs. Not recognizing this as a BN track, that's what I'll say it comes from.

Track 13:

It took a little while but I finally ASSOCIATED this with a certain favorite "older" tenor player. Come to think of it, I believe that my love for Webster actually pre-dates Hank and Dex in my trio of tenor titans. Thanks for reminding me that I need to crack open the recent Storyville box set. A thousand :tup

Track 14:

Pleasant like tracks 8 & 9 were, but it holds my attention a bit more. Smoothness of the tenor makes me think of Getz but I'm sure that is wrong.

Track 15:

Is that Booby?

Track 16:

More pleasantness but not really my preferred piano style.

Can't wait to download Disc 2, Al!

Thanks to Al for a BFT that has far more hits than misses - in fact, none of them are clunkers, just a few didn't really grab my attention, as pleasant as the tracks were. The dirty details:

Man, I love it when folks dig a BFT!

Track 1:

Nice. Gotta be Blakey on drums ... was there a reissue of Blakey leading a big band in the early 50s? For some reason that's what I am thinking of but AMG is no help.

Yes, but this isn't from that session. Are you thinking of that Bethlehem reissue from some years back that was actually under Trane's name?

Interesting how a lot of folks are thinking this is a big band!

Track 3:

Sounds Dukish to me, or at least his guys. Definitely Hodges in there. Classic, that's for sure.

Yup. Correct on all three points! :)

Track 6:

Classic Dameron tune, an all-time favorite, "On a Misty Night". So many recordings of this ... but this one has Griff on it.

Griff fools nobody! :tup

Track 7:

Was track 6 the pivot point in the programming? Looks like we've moved on from Big Bands to small group bop/post-bop. Sounds like Blue Mitchell, from his Riverside, not BN recordings. Definitely Bu again. Another good 'un.

You are very much right on track!

Breakin' it up again! :o

Track 11:

No guesses but impossible not to dig this. This is the first cut that is new and exciting enough to make me want to hear more from the LP. :tup

PM sent!

Track 12:

Well, that's Lee, obviously. That sounds like Cliff Jordan on tenor, which brings to mind Take 12. It was the one Morgan recording that I bought early on as OJC vinyl, never replaced on CD, and never really listened as much to as his classic BNs. Not recognizing this as a BN track, that's what I'll say it comes from.

You would be correct! :tup

Track 13:

It took a little while but I finally ASSOCIATED this with a certain favorite "older" tenor player. Come to think of it, I believe that my love for Webster actually pre-dates Hank and Dex in my trio of tenor titans. Thanks for reminding me that I need to crack open the recent Storyville box set. A thousand :tup

Great (and appropriate) play on words there! :lol:

Track 14:

Pleasant like tracks 8 & 9 were, but it holds my attention a bit more. Smoothness of the tenor makes me think of Getz but I'm sure that is wrong.

You are. :g:P

Track 15:

Is that Booby?

FINALLY!!! I thought nobody would pick up on this!

Can't wait to download Disc 2, Al!

And I can't wait for your comments! Great guesses all around!

Edited by Big Al

Track 11:

PM sent!

Well, stuff is "new and exciting" if its been ages since you've dug out your copy of the vinyl. :blush:

At least I know now what will be next in the "transfer to CD" pile.

Track 15:

Is that Booby?

I'd love to take full credit for this one, but the reality is that Booby is my default guess for vibes. So ... :w

Track 11:

PM sent!

Well, stuff is "new and exciting" if its been ages since you've dug out your copy of the vinyl. :blush:

At least I know now what will be next in the "transfer to CD" pile.

:g

Track 15:

Is that Booby?

I'd love to take full credit for this one, but the reality is that Booby is my default guess for vibes. So ... :w

Hey, gotta take credit when you get it! Woody Shaw is my go-to guy whenever I'm guessing a trumpeter, and there's been a couple times I've been right! It ain't much, but I'll take it! :)

I have not read anything yet etc. etc., played the music once, away from my collection, and did no internet browsing, just my own impressions - will post some on the rest of the disc later and won't read anything here before I've done that. Very enjoyable so far! :tup

#1 Marvellous opener... the groove reminds me of some of that stuff Yusef Lateef did in the 50s. But then the drummer... is this Art Blakey? KD? I like the trumpet solo a lot, very vocal, and the fills of the drummer are great, with that steadily jumping bass behind... a wild guess: something from "Afro Cuban", an album I've always neglected somehow? Hm, no, there are too many horns, no? Anyway, I like this a lot! Ah, now there's some highnote stuff... dizzy stuff, but not Dizzy, I assume? Baritone sax is used nicely in the ensemble.

#2 On the the hand... more boppish stuff... I think I might have this somewhere... is that Ray Brown bouncing around below the band? Touches of Dameron, but more like a Gillespie big band number. Trombone is rather rough, but then that's how it was back then (I never understood why JJ and Kai were considered such a major step, as in the end among the great swing trombone players there was such variety - Dickenson, Wells, Morton, Nanton, Brown, etc - and some of them could play very fluid, too)

Tenor is sort of Prez-like... I should really know who these guys are!

#3 More great baritone sounds (just as there were in #2), jumpy alto... Hodges, of course! I've only just been *really* exploring Ellingtonia for the first time so I have no idea what tune this is... love the wah-wah trumpets, and then the tutti thing with the bones! Nice one!

#4 Freddie Green (or a clone), NT Basie (or a clone-band)... not from their best period (which ended somewhen 1958 or 1959, I assume - not that all they did later on was bad, not at all... I love the Bond album, for instance, and the Roulette material up to 1961 or 1962 has lots of good moments). The alto is competent, not much more... the trombone is quick-fingered (Benny Powell?), tenor isn't bad (this is from when Wess and Foster were gone, I assume? Billy Mitchell possibly, though it's a bit light and not newkish enough...) - Basie for sure it is, though!

#5 Back a couple of decades (or more), can't pin this down... tenor is Hawkish but not heavy enough. Trumpet... hm, doesn't do much for me, just good entertainment/background music, though a bit nervous. That short tenor break has a bit more bite, though, he could have used more of that sound in his solo. Cowbells in the drum solo... hm, I hope I'm not making a fool of myself here, but this is just fine to my ears, not much more.

#6 Oh hell, you're playing games... I know that opening. Tadd Dameron tune of course - he was one of the greatest. That creamy scoring is lovely! Byas, or who's that tenor soloist? Some rather modern ideas, nice how he almost quotes "Fascinating Rhythm"... some spots make me think of Rollins but I don't know of any such big band date of his... ah no, it's Griffin, isn't it?! One of his little pet licks gave it away, and after that he starts that swaggering vocal thing with the quickfire lines... love him! So I assume this could be the Billy Eckstine band? Great one!

#7 More great tenor, whew! Love it! Someone with roots rather close to Griffin's, or wait, is that him again? Solos like these do make me wonder why Coltrane had such an impact (I assume that had more to do with harmony and stuff than with speed and facility, in the end, as that was there before...)

Nice trumpet, I like it this way, when it's not shiny and perfect and loud and high, rather the lyrical side. A thinking player, it seems. Strong bass, by the way. Who/what is this? Funky piano solo. Drummer takes it very easy, he could do some more, really. Pretty nice...

Cool drum solo, nice that he keeps that light thing for the solo, too!

The song sounds familiar... [hits back button, plays again] - Benny Golson? Hm, some spots sound a bit too wild for this to be him... weird, and yes, there are some Griff moments in those fast flurries of notes towards the end of the solo. Shit... could very well be I have this somewhere in my collection...

#8 "Gemini" by Jimmy Heath (I love the performances with Lateef in Cannonball's sextet! That's were I first heard this tune). Is this a French horn? Or a trombone? Or both? Thin sound on French horn, doesn't match how Watkins sounded on his two marvellous Blue Note ten-inchers... (if it's a French horn at all). Trumpet is nice, and tenor has a great opening! Nice muscular tenor, and then there's the French horn again, thin but impressively high... good score - I won't google for it now, but I'm rather sure I don't have this. One of those late 50s hard bop big band albums? Did Jimmy Heath do one? I still have to pick up most of his OJCs (I have some on order and already have "The Quota").

#9 Change of theme? "As Long As I Live" or what's this tune? Nice groove, but too... too much in the comfort zone. Nice sound on guitar, though.

#10 Less comforty, but also less to my liking, I'm afraid... thinnish guitar sound.

So then, the rest of disc one:

#11 Sounds like some Horace Silver stuff (Psychedelic Sally comes to mind, if I don't mix that up with something else. The sax solos aren't doing that much for me, tenor is run of the mill, but alto had some good moments (escpecially the entry!), trumpet is nice, almost muted. Not sure if this actually is Silver, I couldn't tell, as my exposure to his music ends in in the mid to late 60s, while after that I don't have lots of his music. Ah, there's the piano solo... yup, should be him! Not bad at all, the jumping bass is nice (though I usually enjoy double bass more in such settings, it's just earthier and has alltogether nicer sound). So this kind of boils down to a sextet performance (Bennie Maupin on tenor? Or is that the Breckers and Randy forgot to take his compressor with him? :g ) with some horns during the theme... not bad.

#12 Ah, now we're talking! Great! Silver was a master at that kind of stuff! This is likely hellish to play, very difficult... try tapping your foot! And yet it's striking... reductionism. And of course it grooves like hell! Trumpet is very nice, not overdoing it (while I do like some of the more shining trumpet players now and then - Brownie, Booker Little, Woody Shaw, sometimes also Freddie Hubbard - it seems we share a general like for this kind of rather restrained and lyrical trumpet players!)... hmmmm, the piano solo makes me wonder if this indeed Silver... or he just thought to do a reductionist solo for once, too? Is this the Cook/Mitchell unit?

#13 Woaw! Love this tenor sound! Freddie Green again? Lockjaw? Basie? Some Basie jam? Or a later (70s) JATP thing? I need to check out more JATP anyway...

Who's that first tenor? Then Roy Eldridge on trumpet, I assume, Hawk on tenor. Then Ben, rather sad to hear him so weak... still, the sound is there, and that descending vibrato thing at the end... lovely. Some glimpses of the Count and off we go (rather annoying drummer, btw... not heavy enough and not sounding good).

#14 Hm, Milt Jackson with some of the older chaps? What's that tune? Reminds me of "On a Clear Day". Don't like this kind of bossa thing much, it's fake, no? And too serious to be funny "stoopid music". (Well, I guess you'll disagree here, or you wouldn't have chosen this track...)

#15 More of them doorbells, infectuous! More good mainstream (that's what #14 is, don't get me wrong... I just don't think the bossa thing is very deeply in there, rather just an icing on the cake added on top of the whole performance). Trombone is what I like best here - probably some older chaps again here? Not Al Grey, by chance?

#16 Nice, a piano trio to wrap up the party... Bill Evans, I assume?

So here are my comments to disk "EIN" , off the top of my head, without having peeked at the others' guesses. My time is limited, so I have to confine myself to short notes. But it's a verrry nice 'n' swinging' compilation!

# 1: Knew that one right away. Nice combination of Ellington alumni and hard bop pioneers, and a spectacular debut LP for its time. Great choice! http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:3pfrxq8hldae

# 2: Hmmm .... Leo Parker on baritone? Iknow that trumpeter, but .... Tenor reminds me of Gene Ammons a bot, but I don't think it's him. I hear a Dameron overtone in the arrangement ...

# 3: Sounds like the Rabbitt and a lot of Duke's men, if not the leader of the pack himself. Don't have the time to thoroughly search for this.

# 4: From Dukish to Basie-ite? Is this buried somewhere in the Basie Clef Mosaic box? I still haven't listened through this to the end, I must admit ...

# 5: No idea .... don't have that much music in that vein, not enough to seriuosly guess this. Good track, nonetheless.

# 6: I share the birthday of this composer/arranger - no wonder I always felt a great affinity towards his music. Musicians who played his charts said he wrote beautiful melodies down to the last part, which can be heard clearly here. Beauty and power all in one. A great album! http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:hzfpxqygldke

# 7: Tenor sounds a lot like Benny Golson. I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote the tune as well, as I hear the Dameron influence Golson admitted. Nice, but I don't have this disc. Hmmm .... drummer plays Blakey licks without Blakey's typical sound, maybe I'm trapped here.

# 8: I knew there would be a track from this disc on your BFT! All the stars in the world for this great arrangement and a special mention for the French horn soloist: All you can do on that horn is in there! I even like the trumpeter on this disc! Yeah!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:0xfpxq9gldae

# 9: Another one I have and recognized instantly: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:gcfpxqwgld0e

I wish there'd be more of the clarinet on this album! The drummer is the greatest non-Brazilian bossa nova expert there is!

# 10: That guitarist reminds me of Mark Whitfield, the bass player has digested his Ron Carter, for sure - is that Carter himself? I'm not sure. I like that guitar player, but I'm not a guitar man ...

# 11: And one more I have: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:fxfoxqygldae or the next in the series.

I like this series, it deserves the Mosaic treatment. The tunes are extremely catchy, I always sing along with these!

# 12: No guess from me here - this has similarity to some Silver tunes. I probably know some of these, but no names leaping out in my mind.

# 13: Smells a lot like some swing allstar affair - is this Hawkins? Next tenor sounds a bit like Paul Gonsalves ... I'm puzzled.

# 14: Starts with a Shearing sound, but the tenor wipes that away immediately. Some 1980's Pablo date with Milt Jackson? I dunno. Drummer is dull compared with the one on # 9.

# 15: Another groover I don't know. You wanted to test my knowledge of vibists? They sure swing hard!

# 16: That dreaded bass pickup sound. Besides that, some nice neo-swing that doesn't catch my attention as much as the previous tracks. The fadeout is odd and anti-climatic for this fine disc! Al!!!! what did you do? Or did you want us to change discs fast in hope for continuation of the groove?

Thanks again, Al. A very nice, enjoyable disc. I can't fault it much other than to say that, the first half at least, has a certain sameness about some of the tracks - mostly uptempo, small group swing - and only a few of them really made me sit up and take notice. Not that that's bad, just that I tend to look for more variety in these BFT comps - things to shake up my expectations. As it is, this disc works very well as a compilation; nothing feels too jarring or out of place here. At the same time, I can't really identify anything except maybe a tune or two. I suck at identifying specific musicians so I'll skip that endeavor this go-round and just comment in generalities.

1. Love the tribal beat and the soaring trumpet. Don’t think it’s Dizzy, but it has that Dizzy-Chano thing going on that I really dig.

2. Nice playing, jaunty tune, but a bit generic. I could listen to this kind of stuff all day, but there’s nothing here that really stands out to me either.

3. Like this more, and it has a stereo spread to die for.

4. Good, but a bit old-fashioned.

5. Good

6. Also good.

7. More of the same, but I’m digging the piano solo and drum work in the second half.

8. Familiar-sounding tune. I’m liking your trumpet numbers best of all.

9. A nice change-of-pace.

10. Very good!

11. I don’t usually mind e-bass, but I’m finding it annoying here, giving the track an overproduced sound. The solos aren’t bad though.

12. Okay.

13. Better.

14. Digging this one a lot. Love the rhythm and the percussive piano; good solos.

15. Like this one a lot as well, though not sure why this more than so many of the others. Really like the vibes here, but it also feels, I dunno, more authentically swinging than some of the other cuts.

16. Finally a familiar tune! And a very nice version too. One of my favorites of these tracks.