dumb and dumber. americans hostile to knowledge?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The video has been viewed 5 million times. It has to be seen to be believed.

Is Europe a country?

The question is "Budapest is the capital of what European country?", and here are some excerpts of what the American Idol participant has to say about it:

"I thought Europe was a country!"

"Budapest? I haven't even heard of that."

"I know they speak French there. Don't they?"

"Is France a country?"

"Hungry? That's a country? I've heard of Turkey, but Hungry, never heard of it!"

Reminded me of the following video:

The contestants are asked to name a country that starts with the letter 'A'. One says "Asia", one says nothing, and one says "Amsterdam"...

Frankly, I'm surprised those answers are not on the board. The show probably took them off, but I bet you a bunch of people they surveyed said the same thing.

Reminded me of the following video:

The contestants are asked to name a country that starts with the letter 'A'. One says "Asia", one says nothing, and one says "Amsterdam"...

Wow, they're dumb. Everybody knows the answer is Armadillo.

Wrong. Armadillo is a city in the Texas Potholder.

Is Europe a country?

The question is "Budapest is the capital of what European country?", and here are some excerpts of what the American Idol participant has to say about it:

"Is France a country?"

"Hungry? That's a country? I've heard of Turkey, but Hungry, never heard of it!"

This is the idiot who in her time on American Idol made countless stupid/ignorant remarks. The producers of this show were hardly ignorant of how stupid she is and knew it would make for entertaining television. I am not familiar with the number of steps it takes to get to $10,000 - I've seen others though going much higher than that - but did you notice that she'd already used two of her cheating options just to reach that point?

The Onion once said that by the year 2100, there would only be 5 intelligent people left in the United States. While I appreciate the satiric intent, the more I see, the less certain I am that this is satire.

There was a TV show on a few years back that involved contestants placing bets as to whether several "men on the street" who were about to be interviewed could answer a particular question. I mean, these were questions that were so basic, a sack of rocks would have a fair shot at answering them. Well, you can imagine what happened. Funny? Probably. Concerning? Definitely.

Up over and out.

In part, she lays the blame on a failing educational system. “Although people are going to school more and more years, there’s no evidence that they know more,” she said.

Ms. Jacoby also blames religious fundamentalism’s antipathy toward science, as she grieves over surveys that show that nearly two-thirds of Americans want creationism to be taught along with evolution.

Ms. Jacoby doesn’t leave liberals out of her analysis, mentioning the New Left’s attacks on universities in the 1960s, the decision to consign African-American and women’s studies to an “academic ghetto” instead of integrating them into the core curriculum, ponderous musings on rock music and pop culture courses on everything from sitcoms to fat that trivialize college-level learning.

So, are teachers teaching or not?

Are parents teaching or not?

I think she is way overstating the drain realigion and science teachings puts on a persons learning ability. There are plenty of smart folks around the world that were taught both ways.

Is Europe a country?

"Is France a country?"

Well, that's hardly fair now, is it? They purposely pick contestants who are dumber than fifth graders.

Plus, she's blonde.

:w

I think we blame Congress....or teachers....or both

Parents have absolutely nothing to do with their own kids being dumb as dirt. Nope!

Blame public education, that's my advice. Put everybody in private school. That'll solve the problem.

Damn teachers suck. Oh, yeah. The system has failed us. Uh-huh.

:rolleyes:

This is just like Pearl Harbor,” one of the men said.

The other asked, “What is Pearl Harbor?”

Oh no.. Pearl Harbor!! :lol: Reminds me of the Starbucks 'experience' I had in 2005.

(Post #4) http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=21193

You mean that famous battle where King Harold was bombed on Senlac Hill by Zeros? :rofl:

Edited by sidewinder