Jazz In Paris

king ubu

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortubately, that seems to be the case for most of the cd's of this serie I own : average program time is around 35 minutes....Not really a bargain :(

Same for some of mine. But there are many over 50 minutes!

And at the 6-7 € range, I can afford them ;)

Checked on some of the Jazz in Paris volumes I have. It's true that some are short (many have 12inch LP length of about 40 minutes since many in the series are LP reissues with no added material) but:

- vol. 6 Buck Clayton/Peanuts Holland/Charlie Singleton runs 63m53,

- vol. 8 Chet Baker 'Broken Wing' runs 61m38,

- vol. 38 Earl Hines 'Paris One Night Stand' runs 53m09,

- vol. 52 Dizzy Gillespie 'Cognac Blues' runs 71m40,

- vol. 54 'Clarinettes a St-Germain des Pres' runs 77m50,

- vol. 65 Bernard Peiffer 'La Vie en Rose' runs 65m16,

- vol. 99 'Harlem Piano in Montmartre' runs 67m23,

- vol. 100 'Jazz Sous l'Occupation' runs 61m14,

- vol. 101 Joe Newman/Cootie Williams 'Jazz at Midnight' runs 67m34

Not that bad overall.

• 1 year later...

New boxes from the Jazz in Paris series are out this week.

Details are listed at the Universal France site. It's all in French

http://www.universalmusic.fr/servlet/Front...tiste_id=103874

The four DeLuxe editions boxes look great. They are Mosaic sized.

Also noticed that the From Belgium With Love 5CD box includes four previously released CDs from the series (Bobby Jaspar, Toots Thielemans, Rene Thomas, Gus Viseur) plus a Django Reinhardt disc (Jazz in Paris 102) that incorporates material that was not included in the previous Reinhardt from the series.

http://www.universalmusic.fr/servlet/Front...tiste_id=103874

Also noticed that the From Belgium With Love 5CD box includes four previously released CDs from the series (Bobby Jaspar, Toots Thielemans, Rene Thomas, Gus Viseur) plus a Django Reinhardt disc (Jazz in Paris 102) that incorporates material that was not included in the previous Reinhardt from the series.

Brownie, thanks for posting this ... this series has always interested me, and I have picked up about sixty of them over the last few years.. I resisted buying the two "big boxes" that were once on sale ...

Do you know what ever happened to the EMI series "Americans Swinging in Paris" ... I have about half of the original series; has any more been issued?

Garth.

Edited by garthsj

Brownie:

My French is so rusty. Maybe you can enlighten me (us). These box sets are pulled from the material in the enormous Jazz in Paris sets, or this is something not released as part of those 101 CDs?

How does the Belgium set fit in -- Belgian artists but recorded in Paris, aside from the additional Django material?

Thanks.

Eric

Brownie:

My French is so rusty. Maybe you can enlighten me (us). These box sets are pulled from the material in the enormous Jazz in Paris sets, or this is something not released as part of those 101 CDs?

How does the Belgium set fit in -- Belgian artists but recorded in Paris, aside from the additional Django material?

Thanks.

Eric

I had a quick look at the four boxes. They look beautiful but they seem to include only a few tracks which were not in the previous CDs.

As for the Belgian box, only the Django Reinhardt is a new reissue. Which is why it bears the Jazz in Paris nr. 102 number. The other four CDs (Bobby Jaspar, Rene Thomas, Gus Viseur, Toots Thielemans) have been released as part of the earlier Jazz in Paris issues.

i picked up 2 tasty titles to augment the box set recently:

blossom dearie - the pianist / les blue stars (#94)

max roach - parsian sketches (96)

both are readily available and are highly recommended!

-e-

Etherbored:

You may have missed this from a much earlier thread, but CDs 76-101 in the series came out as a 4th box (sold individually). I haven't found any in the US, though some people may have seen them in NY or SF. I imported a set off amazon.fr, and it took forever, but it made it.

If you sprung for the first (bigger) box, you might want to look into this too.

Among other great material, there's a good Don Byas disc (78), Guy Viseur (88), Jazz and Cinema #4 (98), Jazz under the Occupation (really interesting) (100) and Joe Newman and Cootie Williams (101).

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to the "Nuits de Saint-Germain-des-Pres" Django item in the series. If only Django had lived on into the following decades! There are elements in his playing here that I think would have really blossomed and maybe paved a different path for the guitar. He seemed to be really moving towards an exploration of the sound of the electric guitar in his own way. . . .

reinha_djan_jazzinpar_101b.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

I used Media Mail too, and the covered wagons are moving very slowly this holiday season. . . .

I should point out what I meant to say was I got my SECOND order but not my first yet; I ordered the second a day or so after the first!

Edited by jazzbo

I used Media Mail too, and the covered wagons are moving very slowly this holiday season. . . .

I should point out what I meant to say was I got my SECOND order but not my first yet; I ordered the second a day or so after the first!

Ah, I see... that is odd. Well, the mail really has gotten screwed up in the midwest this past weekend from what I understand, owing to the double-whammy of the weather and the holiday.

After visiting the DG site several times I finally developed an admirable sense of restraint and stopped myself... besides, I'd ordered damn near every JIP already anyway!

Been listening to the "Nuits de Saint-Germain-des-Pres" Django item in the series. If only Django had lived on into the following decades! There are elements in his playing here that I think would have really blossomed and maybe paved a different path for the guitar. He seemed to be really moving towards an exploration of the sound of the electric guitar in his own way. . . .

reinha_djan_jazzinpar_101b.jpg

I have this one on now. Having gotten the Mosaic for Christmas, I can say this isn't the Hot Club! Fascinating to hear him with this line up playing electric.

I'm so happy I put in a 2nd order, which will likely arrive tomorrow. Hmmm, is the sale still on? ^_^ I so love the cover photography I think I'd buy these even if the music wasn't first rate. Luckily that's not the case. It's been a happy ear-opening experience.

I have a pet peeve about this series! I have so many of these JIP CDs myself.. but it always bugs me about the cover art. Who are all of these people just sitting around at outdoor cafés? Don't they have jobs? Don't they spend time at home with their families? Watch television, listen to the radio, go to movies? Is the weather always THAT perfect so that they can just sit around all day and night drinking and smoking awful Turkish tobacco French cigarettes? It really gets to me that these people are so damned decadent. Whatever happened to the good old "work ethic"? No wonder our president has turned his back on them ... good thing too!

Garth, working his butt off!

This man is responsible for starting it all ....

I have a pet peeve about this series!  I have so many of these JIP CDs myself.. but it always bugs me about the cover art. Who are all of these people just sitting around at outdoor cafés? Don't they have jobs? Don't they spend time at home with their families? Watch television, listen to the radio, go to movies? Is the weather always THAT perfect so that they can just sit around all day and night drinking and smoking awful Turkish tobacco French cigarettes?  It really gets to me that these people are so damned decadent. Whatever happened to the good old "work ethic"? No wonder our president has turned his back on them ... good thing too!

Garth, working his butt off!

This man is responsible for starting it all ....

The nostalgia of it all!

I rate myself immensely lucky to have been raised in Paris at the time those beautiful black and white photos were taken!

TV was an almost unkown commodity then, internet was not even on the horizon.

The bad memories - and the ruins - of the war years were disappearing enabling people to really enjoy the city by the fifties.

Also having a drink at the cafes did not cost the small fortune it does now. And you could find yourself sitting right next to Sartre and/or Beauvoir, or Alberto Giacometti, or Dexter Gordon!

Half a century later, the city has changed but is still magically beautiful. Jazz is less prominent,

And the weather happens to be pretty tame most of the time and very beautiful on a lot of days B-)

Also we French people still know how to appreciate the good things in life and its qualities even if this sounds 'decadent' nowadays!

Whoever selected the photos that adorn the covers did a great job!

The cover you posted shows the rearend of a Renault QuatreChevaux,

my older brother's first car. He bought an aged secondhand model (which still was costing a small fortune) and I dug the rides we took in that smelly car!

But any cover from the JIP albums bring more memories of those glorious days!

Wish I was half a century younger and back in the Paris of those days...

Edited by brownie

• 2 months later...

Got two batches of these, coming 13 closer to 101 ;)

The only ones I have in full listened to, so far are the Gus Viseur and Gérard Badini (indeed mighty fine Sam Woodyard there - mikeweil: you're reading this? Get it!).

The Urtreger plays Powell served as background music last weekend, so I didn't get to really listen yet.

the others I picked:

- Jazz et cinéma vol. 4

- Modern Jazz à Saint-Germain-des-Prés

- Danse à Saint-Germain-des-Prés

- both Peiffers

- Michel Legrand: Paris Jazz Piano

- Grappelli: Django

- Porgy & Bess (strange but good)

- Rhoda Scott: at the olympia

- Jack Dieval: Jazz aux Champs-Elysées

So I'm needing some advice on the ones I haven't gotten yet... next post for that.

ubu

01 Louis Armstrong the best live concert vol. 1

02 Louis Armstrong the best live concert vol. 2

03 Miles Davis ascenseur pour l’echafaud

06 Holland/Clayton/Singleton club Session

15 Elek Bacsik guitar conceptions

17 Toots Thielemans blues pour flirter

19 Henri Salvador pardon my english – plays the blues

20 Various Chanteurs/Chanteuses

22 Sidney Bechet/Claude Luter self-titled

30 Oscar Peterson featuring Stéphane Grappelli Volume 1

31 Oscar Peterson featuring Stéphane Grappelli Volume 2

33 Claude Bolling plays the original piano greats

36 Memphis Slim & Willie Dixon aux trios mailletz

46 Lionel Hampton ring dem vibes

47 Various classic jazz à saint-germain-des-prés

54 Various clarinettes à saint-germain-des-prés

61 Art Simmons/Ronnell Bright piano aux champs-elysées

66 Raymond Fol les 4 saisons

68 Lionel Hampton mai 1956

74 Alain Goraguer go-go-goraguer

77 Lester Young Le dernier message

80 Henri Criolla begin the beguine

81 Elek Bacsik nuages

83 Sarah Vaughan & violins

89 Henri Crolla quand refleuriront les lilas blancs?

94 Blossom Dearie the pianist

Les Blue Stars

95 Sammy Price/Price & Doc Cheatham play gershwin

96 Max Roach parisian sketches

99 Various harlem piano in montmartre

100 Various jazz sous l’occupation

Alright, above are the ones I'm still missing. I won't get the Roach (as I will have to get that Mosaic), the Young (as I have it as part of the Verve box) and the Ascenseur (as it missed the bonus tracks - I will have to replace my late eighties copy, though, with the new one).

I don't know Bacsik at all, don't know if I need more than the one Crolla I have (the one dedicated to Django), and I'm also hesitant on the two Armstrongs, the two Petersons with Grappelli, and several of the old-school ones. Then, the chanteuses disc I never saw.

Oh, and before I forget: main reason I'm picking these up again is because there's a nice sale going on in Zurich (the prize, though, is about as good as it would be from French Amazon including postage cost, so not such a great sale, but still I prefer picking them up in a store when I have the possibility and don't loose more money on it that I would, ordering on the net).

What do you think? EKE, step in and tell me all those old-school ones are great... (hey, I do have the Willie "Lion" Smith, at least).

ubu