king ubu

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will this be a compilation of previously released (in the JinP series) material

Can't see new material being included in the 3CD set

41sKFeUSh5L._SS500_.jpg

Turns out the image was taken by the great Hungarian-born photographer Paul Almasy who spend most of his life in Paris where he died four years ago!

Some other photos by Almasy.

Also to confirm that all the music in that 3CD set has been issued previously in the JinP individual discs or box sets.

Edited by brownie

I did make a comparison of the French Decca session of May 11, 1951.

Never was happy with the sound of it.

The session is on the Jazz in Paris CD Django Reinhardt 'Nuits de Saint-Germain des Prés' and on volume 19 '1950-1952' of the Django Intégrale on Frémeaux.

Still not very satisfied with the sound but thought the remastering on the Jazz in Paris CD had a slight edge on precision.

Will this be a compilation of previously released (in the JinP series) material

Can't see new material being included in the 3CD set

41sKFeUSh5L._SS500_.jpg

Turns out the image was taken by the great Hungarian-born photographer Paul Almasy who spend most of his life in Paris where he died four years ago!

Some other photos by Almasy.

Also to confirm that all the music in that 3CD set has been issued previously in the JinP individual discs or box sets.

Thanks for this additional info, brownie! I hope you didn't have to check it track-by-track yourself!

I've heard the name of Almasy, but that's all I know about him...

Bol, the JinP I sampled was not really 'vastly superior'. Just a bit better, to m ears!

The Frémeaux Djangos are not that bad and they did manage to uncover an amazing number of unissued items.

If you're really interested in the music of Django, the Frémeaux cannot be ignored!

Thanks for this additional info, brownie! I hope you didn't have to check it track-by-track yourself!

No, just happened to find a sealed copy of the 3CD set for all of €10.

Since the set contained various tracks from JinP discs I passed, it was an excellent opportunity to check what was inside.

Bol, the JinP I sampled was not really 'vastly superior'. Just a bit better, to m ears!

The Frémeaux Djangos are not that bad and they did manage to uncover an amazing number of unissued items.

If you're really interested in the music of Django, the Frémeaux cannot be ignored!

Yes, I know. I spent a small fortune acquiring the Fremeaux Django sets a couple of years ago. I like them a lot, but I noticed that some of the sessions had sounds that left something to be desired. That is why I was curious about the JIP Django CDs. Thanks again for such helpful posts.

I have a Mercury LP by JP Sasson - it may be from material that was recorded overseas, can't seem to recall right now. I even copied it to CD because it was an enjoyable listen. I'm sure you can find the LP on ebay if you type in Sasson and Dixie.

TL

Thanks, TL. I do not (yet) have a turntable, so I will have to wait before investing in the Sasson LPs. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

If I'm interpreting your request correctly, then you ought to try the Andre Hodeir discs: No. 70, Le Jazz Groupe de Paris joue Andre Hodeir, and No. 97, Jazz & Jazz.

No. 39, Kenny Clarke's Sextet plays Andre Hodeir is worth a try, too, though less angular and certainly less longhair.

Jazz and Jazz, Kenny Clarke and the one by the two guys named Bernard just arrived. Spinning Jazz & Jazz now and it is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Nervous, angular, longhair. Flutes, vibes, and wordless female vocals.

THANK YOU!!!

If I'm interpreting your request correctly, then you ought to try the Andre Hodeir discs: No. 70, Le Jazz Groupe de Paris joue Andre Hodeir, and No. 97, Jazz & Jazz.

No. 39, Kenny Clarke's Sextet plays Andre Hodeir is worth a try, too, though less angular and certainly less longhair.

Jazz and Jazz, Kenny Clarke and the one by the two guys named Bernard just arrived. Spinning Jazz & Jazz now and it is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Nervous, angular, longhair. Flutes, vibes, and wordless female vocals.

THANK YOU!!!

You're welcome, TtK! I'm glad it hit the spot for you. I need to pull this one out and give it another spin myself.

THANK YOU!!!

You're welcome, TtK! I'm glad it hit the spot for you. I need to pull this one out and give it another spin myself.

you two maybe should look for this one:

41GYE9CABRL._SS500_.jpg

It contains earlier material (1949, 53, 55) and all or most of the solos (even some by Don Byas) were written out by Hodeir. Another very interesting disc!

Musicians involved are Bobby Jaspar, Bernard Peiffer, Nat Peck, Fats Sadi, Pierre Michelot, Kenny Clarke and others.

• 3 weeks later...

I now have the following Andre Hodeir discs:

No. 70, Le Jazz Groupe de Paris joue Andre Hodeir

No. 97, Jazz & Jazz.

No. 39, Kenny Clarke's Sextet plays Andre Hodeir

Also, I have all five volumes of "Jazz & Cinema," which includes some Hodeir stuff.

How does the Vogue Sessions Collection compare to the three discs in the "Jazz in Paris" series? I especially like "Jazz & Jazz" but am totally digging all three.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I now have the following Andre Hodeir discs:

No. 70, Le Jazz Groupe de Paris joue Andre Hodeir

No. 97, Jazz & Jazz.

No. 39, Kenny Clarke's Sextet plays Andre Hodeir

Also, I have all five volumes of "Jazz & Cinema," which includes some Hodeir stuff.

How does the Vogue Sessions Collection compare to the three discs in the "Jazz in Paris" series? I especially like "Jazz & Jazz" but am totally digging all three.

I picked up this box some time ago (I think based on a rec from this board) and have enjoyed it quite a bit.

• 9 months later...

There's another new box out, this time by Stephane Grappelli - happened to see it by chance on the amazon.fr website:

51XRQ98W9zL._SS500_.jpg

Stephane Grappelli in Paris (Coffret 7 CD)

Disque 1

1. Them There Eyes

2. Flamingo

3. Makin' Whoopee

4. Looking At You

5. Walkin' My Baby Back Home

6. My One And Only Love

7. Thou Swell

Disque 2

1. I Won'T Dance

2. The Folks Who Live On The Hill

3. Autumn Leaves

4. My Heart Stood Still

5. Blues For Musidisc

6. If I Had You

Disque 3

1. The Lady Is A Tramp

2. Fascinatin' Rhythm

3. Dans La Vie

4. Cheek To Cheek

5. A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

6. Taking A Chance On Love

7. 'S Wonderful

8. Someone To Watch Over Me

9. If I Had You

10. Body And Soul

11. I Want To Be Happy

12. She'S Funny That Way

13. Time After Time

14. Just One Of Those Things

15. Slow En Ré Majeur (I'Ll Be Around)

16. Taking A Chance On Love

17. Someone To Watch Over Me

Disque 4

1. It'S All Right With Me

2. You'Re The Top

3. Anything Goes

4. In The Still Of The Night

5. You'Ve Got A Thing

6. Miss Otis Regrets

7. I'Ve Got You Under My Skin

8. Love For Sale

9. Easy To Love

10. You'D Be So Nice To Come Home To

11. Let'S Do It, Let'S Fall In Love

12. My Heart Belongs To Daddy

Disque 5

1. How High The Moon

2. Blues In The Dungeon

3. Skip It

4. S'Posin'

5. Willow Weep For Me

6. This Can'T Be Love

Disque 6

1. Django

2. Nuages

3. Alabamy Bound

4. You Better Go Now

5. Le Tien

6. Like Someone In Love

7. Minor Swing

8. Daphné

9. Soft Winds

10. Makin' Whoopee

11. How About You ?

12. Pent-Up House

Disque 7

1. The Nearness Of You

2. Night And Day

3. Don'T Worry 'Bout Me

4. Tangerine

5. I Can'T Believe That You'Re In Love With Me

6. Lady Be Good

7. Lover Man

8. Birth Of The Blues

9. Aime-Moi

10. Viens Au Creux De Mon Epaule

Didn't yet compare with the original JiP discs of his, but there's definitely more material on it (the amazon.fr title adds [bonus] to the description).