The Verve Mini-LP CDs

Shrdlu

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DDCDA285BA3F4E238E7EED38C64CF158.jpg

According the info. from "Goldmine's Price Guide To Collectible Jazz Albums 1949-1969", the cover art of "Buddy Defranco - Mr. Clarinet" was designed by David Stone Martin. Is that true? I think it's not David Stone Martin's style. Could anyone else show me the original cover art while the LP issued initially? Thanks!

The last batch of these in the US were issued as "digipaks"--jewelcases, cardboard outer, plastic glued in insert for the disc, booklet in a pocket within the case.

They can still be called "LP Reproductions" because nothing new is added, no new liners, no additional material not on the original lp release. . . .

The last batch of these in the US were issued as "digipaks"--jewelcases, cardboard outer, plastic glued in insert for the disc, booklet in a pocket within the case.

They can still be called "LP Reproductions" because nothing new is added, no new liners, no additional material not on the original lp release. . . .

hmmm, following that rationale there's an awfully large bunch of LPR CDs out there. Really, to me the whole sense lies in the mini-LP sleeve packaging. I think this is the case for more people as the question street singer posed proves. I find it rather strange that they decide to ditch the packaging and keep the line and the name. But what do I know... :rhappy:

It doesn't seem that strange to me. It's a beurocracy, they have established a line that is in all their sales literature, buyers know it by that name, and they're reluctant to change a horse in mid-stream. The packaging still often resembles an lp with the original cover on the front, and the inside insert/booklet looking like the back cover of the lp etc. That's all they need to keep hanging on to the name. . . or at least that would be how I would guess they think about it.

Personally, I'm an American and I LOVE lp facimiles! ;) THEIRS however weren't the best on the block.

As for Mr. Clarinet it looks to me as if it came out first as a 10" on Norgran (maybe just the first session?) as "Buddy DeFranco Quartet" and then was reissued several times as an lp under the title "Mr. Clarinet". I can't yet locate a picture of the original "Quartet" cover, which I bet would be a D. S. Martin drawing. . . .

Interesting page I found that talks of the biography out:

http://www.parksidepublications.com/buddydefranco_ltr.pdf

Edited by jazzbo

Personally, I'm an American and I LOVE lp facimiles! ;) THEIRS however weren't the best on the block.

Lon you should see the European versions of this series , these are ultra flimsy and look frankly pathetic the us digipak versions seem of far higher quality by comparison ( the Sonny Stitt , New York disc is a good example)

Here’s a vote for Cal Tjader’s Whiffenpoof disc. It’s along the lines of Soul Sauce, but perhaps a bit mellower. It’s very nice, very relaxing stuff.

There’ve been some nice titles in this batch. Thanks for bringing this thread back up. Ah, so many titles, so few dollars! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Two more batches have now been announced:

6/8/04

Art Blakey - 'S Make It - Reissue - Verve Reissues

Candido Camero - Candido Featuring Al Cohn - Reissue - GRP Records

Gene Krupa - Plays Gerry Mulligan Arrangements - Reissue - Verve Reissues

Machito - Vacation At The Concord - Reissue - GRP Records

Max Roach - Jazz In 3/4 Time - Reissue - Verve Reissues

6/22/04

Johnny Griffin - JG (LPR) - Reissue - GRP Records

Illinois Jacquet - Desert Winds (LPR) - Reissue - GRP Records

Roland Kirk - Live In Copenhagen (LPR) - Reissue - Verve Records

James Moody - James Moody (LPR) - Reissue - GRP Records

Sonny Stitt - Personal Appearance (LPR) - Reissue - Verve Reissues

Several of these titles have been available in Japan (and still are). Considering the wealth of albums in the Verve vaults that haven’t made it to CD, I think it would be a better strategy for Verve to concentrate on albums not previously on CD. Not that I want to complain too much. At least Verve’s releases aren’t copy protected.

P.S. A new Diana Krall is on the way too. Mark April 27 in your calendars! :P

6/8/04

Candido Camero - Candido Featuring Al Cohn - Reissue - GRP Records

Machito - Vacation At The Concord - Reissue - GRP Records

6/22/04

Johnny Griffin - JG (LPR) - Reissue - GRP Records

Plenty in it for Latin fans, the Candido and the Machito.

But the real winner is the Johnny Griffin: I suspect this is the rare Argo LP, originally intended for the Parrott label, recorded in 1955! It is much better than the first Blue Note! Get it. I said: Get it !!!

But the real winner is the Johnny Griffin: I suspect this is the rare Argo LP, originally intended for the Parrott label, recorded in 1955! It is much better than the first Blue Note! Get it. I said: Get it !!!

While you're waiting for that, feast your ears on J.J.'s Broadway. I'm listening to it right now for the 3rd time in a row, and J.J.'s trombone section arrangements are flooring me. A very worthy album.

Like the man said: Get it !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone purchased any of these titles from BMG? So far, I've only bought two from them - Gerry Mulligan 'Live at the Village Vanguard' and Archie Shepp - 'Attica Blues'. The Mulligan was packaged in a mini-LP sleeve, the Shepp was packaged in a standard jewel case. This was originally released in a digipack, was it not? I'm wondering how many of these BMG have repackaged in standard jewel cases...

Anyone know?

[Forgot to mention that I also picked up Wes Montgomery 'Willow Weep For Me' - this one was in its original packaging.]

Edited by street singer