*** Cecil Taylor ***

Aggie87

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, that's what some people say about Pollock as well.

Find me a six year old whose music can stand with Cecil's and I'll buy his/her records and attend the concerts.

The same thought came to me in regards to Pollock, Clifford.

I agree with you and Paul that those who make this comparison just aren't hearing or seeing.

Whatever you think of Taylor or Pollock, there ain't no way a kid could do what they do. I, for one, love 'em both.

Yeah, that's what some people say about Pollock as well.

Find me a six year old whose music can stand with Cecil's and I'll buy his/her records and attend the concerts.

The same thought came to me in regards to Pollock, Clifford.

I agree with you and Paul that those who make this comparison just aren't hearing or seeing.

Whatever you think of Taylor or Pollock, there ain't no way a kid could do what they do. I, for one, love 'em both.

The three of you are missing my point entirely. I never compared Taylor's music AS PERFORMED or his talent as an artist to what a six year can do. Rather, I was comparing what his NOTATION looks like to what a six year old might draw. A very accurate description if you saw what he had on the piano that night.

Edited by Chalupa

Unless you find, as I do, graphic notation as comparable to visual art and thus creating an all-over, visual canvas of sound that approximates what Pollock et al. have done with their painting. THAT is what I was saying.

I like your "visual canvas of sound" metaphor. Still think his music notation looks like something a six year old might bring home though :) And that's not a negative comment.

FYI......

Cecil Taylor Big Band Dec 14-18th

http://www.iridiumjazzclub.com/bio.php?id=145

W/ Marshall Allen, Taylor Ho Bynum, Stephen Haynes, Amir El Saffar, Jeff Hoyer, Steve Swell, Bill Lowe, Bobby Zankel, Sabir Mateen, Elliot Levin, Will Connell, J.D. Parran, Dominic Duval, Jackson Krall

Wow...December's going to be my 3rd time in the states, and my first in NYC, so as if I wasn't excited enough...

How long in advance do you typically have to book tickets to a place like the Iridium? Or maybe you don't? I don't want to miss out!

It'll be cool to see Marshall Allen and J.D. Parran as well.

I wonder if Taylor Ho Bynum has played with CT before? Struck me last night that CT was the second half of the London Jazz Festival bill last year that included the now-famous Braxton quintet gig. I wonder if Taylor heard Bynum there?

Bynum was fantastic on that gig, by the way!

FYI......

W/ Marshall Allen, Taylor Ho Bynum, Stephen Haynes, Amir El Saffar, Jeff Hoyer, Steve Swell, Bill Lowe, Bobby Zankel, Sabir Mateen, Elliot Levin, Will Connell, J.D. Parran, Dominic Duval, Jackson Krall

Wow...December's going to be my 3rd time in the states, and my first in NYC, so as if I wasn't excited enough...

How long in advance do you typically have to book tickets to a place like the Iridium? Or maybe you don't? I don't want to miss out!

I wonder if Taylor Ho Bynum has played with CT before? Struck me last night that CT was the second half of the London Jazz Festival bill last year that included the now-famous Braxton quintet gig. I wonder if Taylor heard Bynum there?

Bynum played in Taylor's Big Band in April of 2004 for a five-night stand at the Iridium. Based on my experience in 2004, it would be easy to get in without advance tickets. However, if you are the cautious type like me, you might as well get a ticket for the first set of the night--and then iridium allows you to stay for the next set(s) with only a minimum.

FYI......

Bynum played in Taylor's Big Band in April of 2004 for a five-night stand at the Iridium. Based on my experience in 2004, it would be easy to get in without advance tickets. However, if you are the cautious type like me, you might as well get a ticket for the first set of the night--and then iridium allows you to stay for the next set(s) with only a minimum.

Thanks for the tip!

• 5 months later...

The three of you are missing my point entirely. I never compared Taylor's music AS PERFORMED or his talent as an artist to what a six year can do. Rather, I was comparing what his NOTATION looks like to what a six year old might draw. A very accurate description if you saw what he had on the piano that night.

Below is an example of Cecil's notation, from this documentary.

ct1.jpg

Also from the documentary:

I've dispensed with bars, time signatures...

I don't use notes, I use alphabets

If it's above middle C, it's plus

If it's below middle C, it's minus.

• 3 weeks later...

Some more 6 year old stuff...

gc181-8.jpg

back on topic: what's the word here about Taylor's Leo discs? I recently found "Tzotzil / Mummers / Tzotzil" in a sale and gave it a spin. I think it's pretty much ok. Taylor himself is great, Ward is a bit... different from his usual self (but then his full-bodied soulful alto would be totally misplaced in this context, anyway), and Leroy Jenkins is rather great! It's more of a group recording, though, as I hear it.