Saxophone-bass-drums

Late

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DKV Trio: Live in Wels & Chicago and Trigonometry

Fred Anderson: Live at the Velvet Lounge with Peter Kowald/Hamid Drake and On the Run: Live at the Velvet Lounge with Hamid Drake/Tatsu Aoki

Julius Hemphill: Raw Materials and Residuals and Live From the New Music Cafe (although Abdul Wadud is playing a cello rather than a bass)

Probably my favorite instrumentation. Here are a few that I do not think have been mentioned:

Dave Holland w/ Steve Coleman and Jack DeJohnette - Triplicate

Tobias Delius - Toby's Mloby (Actually tenor-bass-cello-drums, but a great recording)

David Murray w/ Richard Davis and Joe Chambers - The Hill

Jimmy Halperin/Don Messina/Bill Chattin - Cycle Logical

Lew Tabackin - Tanuki's Night Out

Ed Blackwell w/ Dewey Redman and Cameron Brown - Walls-Bridges

Thomas Chapin - Sky Piece

Kahil El'Zabar w/ David Murray and Fred Hopkins - Love Outside of Dreams

Joe Lovano/Anthony Cox/Ed Blackwell - Sounds of Joy

Open Loose (Ellery Eskelin, Mark Helias, Tom Rainey) - Come Ahead Back

Fredrik Nordstrom - Live

And if we can go back just a little bit furthe than 20 years:

Jimmy Lyons & Sunny Murray w/ John Lindberg - Jump Up

That is a good disc, Blues... unfortunately, every disc after this that I have heard from Kenny Garrett has been a little soft. Some decent tracks on Pursuance, but I think I owe that to Metheny's guitar tones!

I agree with you. The trio record was a hard one top. I think with Kenny it's all about seeing him live.

I catch him every time he is in New York and he never fails to astonish. He seems like he's really trying to extend Coltrane's Love Supreme era approach on the alto.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think anyone's mentioned two sax/bass/drum trio albums by Branford Marsalis: Trio Jeepy (1988; featuring Milt Hinton or Delbert Felix on bass, and Jeff "Tain" Watts on drums) and The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born (1991; Bob Hurst on bass and Watts on drums).

The latter album does have a couple of cameos by Courtney Pine (tenor) and Wynton Marsalis, but it's almost all the sax trio. Both are terrific, exploratory sessions. :tup:tup

And the album covers match in a cool way, too...

c47774seql1.jpg .... d84018fk298.jpg

Edited by gdogus

I don't think anyone's mentioned two sax/bass/drum trio albums by Branford Marsalis: Trio Jeepy (1988; featuring Milt Hinton or Delbert Felix on bass, and Jeff "Tain" Watts on drums) and The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born (1991; Bob Hurst on bass and Watts on drums).

The latter album does have a couple of cameos by Courtney Pine (tenor) and Wynton Marsalis, but it's almost all the sax trio. Both are terrific, exploratory sessions. :tup:tup

And the album covers match in a cool way, too...

c47774seql1.jpg .... d84018fk298.jpg

I don't have these two, but Branford's The Dark Keys is also nice to listen to, from time to time.

ubu

BFrank (and other Morphine addicts): I kept meaning to go back and re-listen to Yes after reading your post, and I finally did this weekend.

It was like seeing one of those 3D "magic window" type pictures, where everything is kind of blurry unless you look at it the right way. I put on Yes and all of sudden it was like "Hey, they ARE a sax/bass/drum trio!"

What a great band they were.

Just mentioned that superb Charlie Mariano plus bass and drums date 'Frontier Traffic' on a separate Charlie Mariano thread so might just as well plug this album here.

'Frontier Traffic' from the German label Konnex has Mariano on altosax with Ali Haurand on bass and Daniel Humair on bass. A 2002 date that was released several months ago. I just discovered that CD. Love it!

Thanks for this recommendation, brownie! Sounds like a good one! And Humair is getting better with age very much, in my opinion! (His "Liberté surveillée" project with Eskelin, Ducret & Chevillon is very good, in my opinion! And check him out on the Lacy CD, also a 2002 production, I mentioned further up in this thread. He is also on three tracks recorded by Lucky Thompson in trio format - this is before our timeframe, but nevertheless deserves mention - with Peter Trunk. These three titles were reissued on the second of Lucky's Complete Vogue CDs)

ubu

• 3 years later...

Here's a few I enjoy.....

Richard Tabnik - 'In the Moment' (new artists records)

Loren Stillman - 'Trio Alto Vol1' (steeplechase) - I haven't heard vol2 yet.....

Lenny Popkin - 'Lenny Popkin' & 'New York Moment' (both on Lifeline Records)

Jimmy Halperin - 'Cycle Logical' (cadence jazz)

Edited by Adamnz

Two very good recordings with Claude Lawrence, Wibur Morris, and Denis Charles:

Claude Lawrence Trio: Presenting (CIMP)

Lost Art/Hidden Treasures (New Fountain)

Haven't heard those - will have to keep an eye out.

Claude Lawrence is on the Sirone Live LP (along with Denis), but gets far too little solo space.

Edited by clifford_thornton

The sax-bass-drums format is one of my favorite sounds as well (and I'm a piano player! They're great for practicing along with, too.)

For recent stuff, I like two trios in a more traditional vein in terms of interplay and swing, but both with their own very unique sound:

Ned Goold with Ben Wolfe on bass and Don Zeloni or Ron Steen on drums

T328982.jpg

nedgoold.jpg

and Stephen Riley on Steeplechase with Neal Caine on bass and Gregory Hutchinson or Jason Marsalis on drums

h13453t6f67.jpg

31609.jpg

I also like all four Branford Marsalis trio records. Trio Jeepy featuring Milt Hinton might be my favorite. The Dark Keys is great too.