Complete Miles Davis - 70CD + DVD

king ubu

Because the price is so low, I think this will rather be a budget reissue set with minimalistic packaging.

Maybe they included some new stuff (Isle of Wight, the Stockholm DVD) to give collectors a reason to buy the set as well. But the Isle of Wight concert is covered much better on the "Miles Electric: A Different Kind of Blue" DVD.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right that there's nothing here that hasn't been available elsewhere? (And there's stuff that has been available elsewhere that's not here?)

see my first post - not sure about those +3 on "We Want Miles" and "Isle of Wight" (audio version)

The 1970 Isle of Wight concert was tagged on to the end of this release (a 3 cd set comprised mostly of a 1988 concert at Munich Philharmonic Hall):

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:39foxqedld6e

http://www.amazon.com/Munich-Concert-Miles...7735&sr=1-1

Am I right that there's nothing here that hasn't been available elsewhere? (And there's stuff that has been available elsewhere that's not here?)

see my first post - not sure about those +3 on "We Want Miles" and "Isle of Wight" (audio version)

The 1970 Isle of Wight concert was tagged on to the end of this release (a 3 cd set comprised mostly of a 1988 concert at Munich Philharmonic Hall):

I've seen this boot, I think... how's the sound quality? And how's the 1988 concert?

I've seen this boot, I think... how's the sound quality? And how's the 1988 concert?

The sound quality is good, and the concert is certainly good enough to be worth the 10 bucks new on the Amazon Marketplace. I think I paid around $30 for it when it first came out, at Tower Records, the most over-priced store that used to exist in the bygone days!

I had an edited version of the Isle of Wight performance on a 2cd set from the festival. Then there's the DVD with what I presume is the complete performance.

The sound quality is good, and the concert is certainly good enough to be worth the 10 bucks new on the Amazon Marketplace. I think I paid around $30 for it when it first came out, at Tower Records, the most over-priced store that used to exist in the bygone days!

Thanks - will be looking for a cheap copy if there's not going to be a single disc Sony edition once the box is out.

Tower Records, the most over-priced store that used to exist in the bygone days!

They sure were by the end. The one here in King of Prussia was sticker pricing their stock at $1 above list price by the end! In the older days, they had great all-label sales in January and February, where I would stock up on releases from the year before, they had label sales on Blue Note at times during the year, and they had their in-house publication, Pulse magazine, which was free and an entertaining read. They did away with the magazine, did away with the sales, and basically went list-price plus on everything except stuff like the latest Britney Spears release. I went from spending $1000+ a year there to spending zero there for the last two-three-four years before they closed. I had no feelings about them going out of business, because they were gone for me years before that.

Tower Records, the most over-priced store that used to exist in the bygone days!

Is this Tower technically now Caiman, the place that provided the stealth "Mosaic" (Verve) Tal Farlow box dirt cheap a few years ago? Oddly I've had luck buying some rock box sets (such as the Pogues one) cheaper from this Tower than any other online site. I'm pretty sure it's Tower in name only, sort of like Sony or Maxell CD-Rs. Having only been in a physical store near the end I associate with it being overpriced too, so it's been weird having it become a go to place for certain things 2-3 times a year.

>Among the items missing from that 'Complete' box is the 1969 Juan les Pins concert which was released by Sony Japan

Unfortunatly! I'm waiting a high quality sound release of the second concert .... Maybe one day ...

Wich Miles davis fan could buy these complete box set ???

Regards,

They sure were by the end. The one here in King of Prussia was sticker pricing their stock at $1 above list price by the end! In the older days, they had great all-label sales in January and February, where I would stock up on releases from the year before, they had label sales on Blue Note at times during the year, and they had their in-house publication, Pulse magazine, which was free and an entertaining read. They did away with the magazine, did away with the sales, and basically went list-price plus on everything except stuff like the latest Britney Spears release. I went from spending $1000+ a year there to spending zero there for the last two-three-four years before they closed. I had no feelings about them going out of business, because they were gone for me years before that.

I was a J&R fiend. It had great selection, and by far the lowest prices in NYC. I only went to Tower to buy Japanese imports, which J&R didn't like to stock because of their high prices.

I only went to Tower to buy Japanese imports, which J&R didn't like to stock because of their high prices.

Which reminds me of my Tower Sunset Boulevard acquisition of Tyrone Washington's 'Natural Essence' Toshiba for $18 + tax. :)

I got mine at Tower in Greenwich Village at 4th and Broadway!!! Loved that place. Many current day musicians worked the jazz department. Duane Eubanks is one that comes to mind.

I only went to Tower to buy Japanese imports, which J&R didn't like to stock because of their high prices.

Which reminds me of my Tower Sunset Boulevard acquisition of Tyrone Washington's 'Natural Essence' Toshiba for $18 + tax. :)

I got mine at Tower in Greenwich Village at 4th and Broadway!!! Loved that place. Many current day musicians worked the jazz department. Duane Eubanks is one that comes to mind.

It used to be a regular stop for me.

It used to be a regular stop for me.

Either a visit to the West 4th or 66th Street Tower was a ritual for me in my High School excursions into the City from exurban Connecticut in the 1980s.

or 66th Street Tower was a ritual for me in my High School excursions into the City from exurban Connecticut in the 1980s.

Which reminds me of that fab Sam Goody's that used to be just Nth of Times Square. At one time, absolutely packed out with jazz. I wonder what that place is now?

There was a Sam Goody's in downtown Philly in the 70's which was also packed out with jazz, had everything imaginable. Those were also the days of great cutout bins, which became a thing of the past even before brick and mortars in general did. Cutout bins became ugly things in recent years.

or 66th Street Tower was a ritual for me in my High School excursions into the City from exurban Connecticut in the 1980s.

Which reminds me of that fab Sam Goody's that used to be just Nth of Times Square. At one time, absolutely packed out with jazz. I wonder what that place is now?

There was a Sam Goody's in downtown Philly in the 70's which was also packed out with jazz, had everything imaginable. Those were also the days of great cutout bins, which became a thing of the past even before brick and mortars in general did. Cutout bins became ugly things in recent years.

Yeah, cutout bins used to hold some gems. No any longer, it seems. I have given up on them.

Thanks - will be looking for a cheap copy if there's not going to be a single disc Sony edition once the box is out.

I pulled the Isle of Wight (from this cd set) out this morning. I don't want to get into the whole audiophile debate, but it sounds pretty good to these ears. I can't imagine Sony doing a much better job with it.