Complete Miles Davis - 70CD + DVD

king ubu

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strikes me as a bizarre release, especially with current changing technology.

Too big for a new listener. How could you ever digest it? Those already with extensive collections of Miles will see little new there.

Which leaves a market of those who have to have every release or can't live without the packaging. Can't see that being economically viable.

The era-related boxes that Columbia have put out have been exemplary - old stuff (in better sound), unreleased music, all in reasonable number of discs to get your head round. But 70 discs!

The Glenn Gould "Original Jacket Collection" set had 80 discs. . . and I must say it is an excellent release. As an exclusive for amazon.com I think this is a release that will have some success. One retailer, much more managable and marketable. We'll see.

Reiner, who is JPC? IF they are not amazon, they may have deleted this because they won't be distributed copies. (?)

• 3 weeks later...

I find this fascinating. I'm not quite sure who they are appealing to with this. Obviously there are a few things that are unreleased but if you wanted everything Miles did for Columbia you would still have to buy (at least some of) the recent series of box sets, e.g. the live sets from the Blackhawk, Plugged Nickel, Cellar Door. I'm not sure how having only two cds from the Plugged Nickel is "the best of both worlds", meaning the original track listing without the original edits. I can understand that adding all of the other stuff would have added a large number of cds but once you get to 70 are an extra 20-30 really going to change much? Or maybe I'm talking out of my rear end on this...

Denis

What's frustrating is that Legacy stopped a very fine reissue program short of completeness. Several of the Ellington albums never got that treatment--"Drum is a Woman," "Bal Masque," and "Indigos," come immediately to mind--and there are any number of other Columbia artists who should have gotten it. But instead, we get this mammoth and quite useless Miles Box. Legacy already issued this music in its series of excellent Miles boxes. Like Lon says, weird, but also infuriating!

I guess we should take some miniscule comfort in the fact that they're issuing SOMETHING!

greg mo

As far as I can tell, I believe that the catalog numbers listed are for the US digipaks (I no longer have those, I have Japanese DSD versions).

digipacks of "Agartha" and "Pangaea"? I thought there only were the jewel case Master Works vesions (with red frame, not blue)?

I recently got those, having given up ever getting newer versions. Of all the other 2CD sets (Fillmores, In Concert etc) I got the digipack versions.

As far as I can tell, I believe that the catalog numbers listed are for the US digipaks (I no longer have those, I have Japanese DSD versions).

digipacks of "Agartha" and "Pangaea"? I thought there only were the jewel case Master Works vesions (with red frame, not blue)?

I recently got those, having given up ever getting newer versions. Of all the other 2CD sets (Fillmores, In Concert etc) I got the digipack versions.

You are correct, they never were issued in the digipak. That is why I was wondering if the box set editions were different from the currently available versions because they were not reissued along with all of the other albums 10-12 years ago.

You are correct, they never were issued in the digipak. That is why I was wondering if the box set editions were different from the currently available versions because they were not reissued along with all of the other albums 10-12 years ago.

Thanks for confirming!

I won't bother for the mother...load of Miles in that box...

At least one of the two btw, was done I think as late as 1994, so maybe when they re-did the other ones in those nice 2CD digipacks (although Fillmore ought to have been expanded to a 4CD package with all four sets, in my opinion!), they maybe just thought there was no need to re-do those as well as they were still fairly recent.

I'm sure it's been said before but the only way to hear 'Agharta' is on the vinyl. I think I even prefer my UK CBS 2LP from 1976 over the Japanese CBS-Sony 2LP. You also have to follow Miles' instructions on the inside of the cover to crank up the volume to its highest possible level. :rolleyes:

It may be hard to find, but there is a Japanese remastering using DSD that is the same mix and sounds the same as the vinyl. And defintely CRANK IT UP!!!