Rapidshare corruption

clifford_thornton

Hey all,

I don't know if this is a taboo subject, but I have tried downloading things from Rapidshare as a free user and have always gotten corrupt files. This is not a problem with Mediafire or other related programs.

I'm not a frequent downloader, but it leaves me a little leery of paying the cash to become a "Premium User" only to have files not open or work properly.

FWIW, I'm using Vista and the latest version of Firefox on a reliable home wireless connection.

Thanks!

What I've heard is that Rapidshare want to make free users into premium users. But I've rarely had corrupt files from them - just takes forever for the screen to come through - and it's not my connection; it's Rapidshare trying to be awkward.

Use other share facilities. It's a competitive world.

MG

And PS - last time I looked at RS, they were saying that everything on Rapidshare.de was going to be deleted and they were going over to Rapidshare.com.

MG

Like MG, I haven't encountered corrupted files but getting a "slot" as a free user is next to impossible. I really recommend megaupload which has a much higher maximum upload, faster downloads and I've never failed to start a download right away. Rapidshare sucks.

OK let me change that to

Rapidshare SUCKS if you aren't a paying customer, and any company offering any level of "free" service ought to provide a respectable amount of service or just drop the charade that you don't have to pay to use the service.

OK let me change that to

Rapidshare SUCKS if you aren't a paying customer, and any company offering any level of "free" service ought to provide a respectable amount of service or just drop the charade that you don't have to pay to use the service.

Fair enough, although I would add this (note the smiley):

Anyone expecting free service from an outfit like Rapidshare either has a screw loose or is seriously delusional.

Cheers!

:)

OK let me change that to

Anyone expecting free service from an outfit like Rapidshare either has a screw loose or is seriously delusional.

Cheers!

Obviously you are unaware that up until recently - maybe 3 months ago - the free service was indeed FREE and CONSISTENT and USEFUL to users who have no reason to pay for the service due to infrequent use. You waited longer to download, you had download limitations, and the downloads took longer. BUT THE SERVICE WAS PROVIDED.

Now, one can wait hours to get access to a free slot.

Perhaps your last comment should be amended to "anyone who doesn't know how Rapidshare has attempted to force free users to pay shouldn't make delusional comments about how the service works for those who don't wish to pay."

And why should Rapidshare be any different from megaupload when megaupload offers a free level of service that consistently delivers what is promised?

Rapidshare SUCKS DONKEY DICKS and that is no delusion.

OK let me change that to

Cheers!

Obviously you are unaware that up until recently - maybe 3 months ago - the free service was indeed FREE and CONSISTENT and USEFUL to users who have no reason to pay for the service due to infrequent use. You waited longer to download, you had download limitations, and the downloads took longer. BUT THE SERVICE WAS PROVIDED.

Now, one can wait hours to get access to a free slot.

Perhaps your last comment should be amended to "anyone who doesn't know how Rapidshare has attempted to force free users to pay shouldn't make delusional comments about how the service works for those who don't wish to pay."

And why should Rapidshare be any different from megaupload when megaupload offers a free level of service that consistently delivers what is promised?

Rapidshare SUCKS DONKEY DICKS and that is no delusion.

I've been a paying customer for years.

Service works fine.

I can only repeat: People who think that services like Rapidshare won't screw them over as free customers are delusional.

;)

Not much on the Internet is really for free, and Rapidshare is the Devil's den when it comes around to luring delusional people into its web of deceit.

;)

@Clifford: I can only speak for myself, but despite the singular server glitch here and there (re-download after a download seems corrupted or non-existent), the service has been well worth the investment. Disclaimer: I'm on a slow connection and have no idea how Rapidshare works with these bionic connections that allow you to download a house in 5 minutes flat.

I can only repeat: People who think that services like Rapidshare won't screw them over as free customers are delusional.

We heard you the first time, but apparently Dan's reply (which I heartily agree with) did not sink in. The fact that their fee for service works well is irrelevant to his point. Rapidshare sucks because they are lying about their free "service". It is not unreasonable to expect a functional free service IF THEY SAY THEY OFFER SUCH A THING, WHICH THEY DO. But that service effectively does not exist.

Ergo, RAPIDSHARE SUCKS, regardless of whether their "service for a fee" is great or not, because they are lying about their free "service". They are purporting to offer something which they do not actually offer. This isn't about naivete about how services like Rapidshare operate. We all understand the whole bait and switch technique, no need to lecture us on that. The point is that it is fair to expect an online business to provide what they say they provide, and call them out on it if they don't.

The thing that bugs me about Rapidshare is that they advertise as a place where you can share files for free. A few years back, I needed to get a file to a few friends. We had someone upload it to Rapidshare and we were all set. I have used it a few times since and thought it was a good service. If I used it more often, I would have upgraded to their paid service, but I just don't download that much stuff. Now, I can't download anything. They claim I can, but if it's true, I haven't found out how.

There was talk a few months back that they were in financial trouble. I guess forcing users to their paid tier is one way to bring in the revenue.

Rapidshare has definitely become a real drag in a really short period of time. Since I am a night owl, I am able to occasionally get on for free, but it's real hit or miss. What I find so strange is that there hasn't been a mass migration from the blogs to megaupload or mediafire or some of the others that are vastly superior to Rapidshare.

I think Rapidshare(.com) is one of the most reliable of those filehosters.

The free service has limitations, but isn't that the case with many things on the internet?

I recommend using the download manager jdownloader, which is very handy for downloading from filehosters, because it automatically takes account of the waiting time for free users and fills in captchas. So you can put many files into a queue and let the software manage the process

http://jdownloader.org/

Edited by Claude

That's why I recommend using jdownloader.

What it also can do is make your router reconnect with a new IP address, so that the hourly/daily download limit for free users is circumvented.

But how does it get around the "free user download slots" to "free users trying to download at any one time" ratio of 1:10000?

Edited by Dan Gould

I am a nearly everyday non-paying user of Rapidshare. You have to have a little patience and you-get-what-you-pay-for expectations, not well-known virtues of the iGeneration. If R/S is tied up, you wait. (e.g. I set a five or nine minute alarm on my blackberry, whatever it says to wait...) So what is the big deal about that? And when Europe goes to bed, it usually sizzles, that really has not changed. No corrupt files for me.

Does not suck. It's a business. Can someone here explain what and why Rapidshare owes for no fee? If the price ain't right, then the price changes. I think it works great for patient and reasonable people.

I am a nearly everyday non-paying user of Rapidshare. You have to have a little patience and you-get-what-you-pay-for expectations, not well-known virtues of the iGeneration. If R/S is tied up, you wait. (e.g. I set a five or nine minute alarm on my blackberry, whatever it says to wait...) So what is the big deal about that? And when Europe goes to bed, it usually sizzles, that really has not changed. No corrupt files for me.

Does not suck. It's a business. Can someone here explain what and why Rapidshare owes for no fee? If the price ain't right, then the price changes. I think it works great for patient and reasonable people.

I have literally spent hours continuously resubmitting at their two minute interval and never gotten through, and this has happened from 9 AM well into the evening hours. There is no time in the past several months I have found that Rapidshare is "sizzling".

On the other hand, Megaupload has never once failed to deliver a download link every single time I have gone there, morning, noon or night.

So which one can be reasonably said to "suck" and which one should be preferred?