Good Jazz Deals Online or In Stores

riverrat

We have a Newbury Bargains thread, and a yourmusic.com thread. How about a "catch-all" thread where we can post other assorted great deals in one easy-to-find place? Or has this already been done?

I'll kick off with a copy of the hard-to-find Blue Note CD Bobby Hutcherson Live at Montreux, with Woody Shaw for $12.99 HERE on half.com.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby Previte is having a sale on some of the CDs available on his website for $10. Some interesting CDs are available from various Previte-led groups--including New Bump's Set the Alarm for Monday, Ponga's Psychological, Big Guns, Groundtruther (with Charlie Hunter and John Medeski), and The Coalition of the Willing.

http://www.bobbyprevite.com/shop.html

Dusty Groove has quite a number of new Muse CD's for 4.99

just picked up Bill Barron's "Last Plateau", Sonny Criss's "Crisscraft", Wallace Roney's "Munchin" & "Crunchin"

Can anyone comment on the sonic quality of these early 90's CD's compared to the later 90's & early 2000's 32Jazz & Savoy rereleases,

particularly referring to the Criss Cd (the Barron & Roney CD's have never been reissued as far as I know)

Any Woody Shaw fans out there looking for the 32 Jazz double "Two More Pieces Of The Puzzle" (Iron Men & Live In Berlin 76) - great double (has Braxton, Blythe, Abrams, Slide Hampton)

Groove.inc (Swiss site - no shipping for orders over 20 euros) has it for 16.89Euros - thought most of the 32 Jazz material is OOP?

That's a pretty good buy (have a look at the prices on Amazon - all of the Woody Shaw 32 Jazz material is a bit pricey now) especially with no shipping charge

so so deal online: just spoke to a friend who ordered one of the Old and New Dreams albums from jazzloft.com, he was unaware of the Haden Black Saint box - apparently, they are selling the individual discs without mentioning they're part of the sets... he was pretty pissed but in fact, if you own all but one albums, 13$ per album might be a good deal...

There are currently at least 11 Blue Note RVG editions available for download at Amazon for $3.98, and a bunch more at under $7.00.

MP3 Downloads › "Rudy Van Gelder edition" › MP3 Albums

J&R is currently having a sale of $4.99 CDs. Shipping from them always seems higher than it needs to be, plus most of the titles are in the discounted Columbia/Legacy line, so they can already be found in a lot of places in the $6.99 range. Still not a bad deal though.

How much is shipping at J+R usually, say for 3 $6.99 OJCs? I can't figure it out from their site?

Bertrand.

I don't remember but it's usually unreasonable for larger CD orders. I think they do something like $1 per CD no matter how many you order, so until this $2.95 deal was posted they wanted to charge me something like $15 for a 15-CD order.

• 3 weeks later...

Berkshire Record Outlet just got in a shipment of HatArt titles, the most attractive of which is Cecil Taylor's One Too Many Salty Swift and Not Goodbye for $11.98

I missed out on Too Many Salty Swift..., but I did pick up some nice stuff there including Myra Melford's Even the Sounds Shine and Theo Jorgensmann's To Ornette - Hybrid Identity for $7.98 each. Great prices, but be prepared for a challenging search through their lists to find the stuff you want.

Edited by okierambler

Berkshire Record Outlet just got in a shipment of HatArt titles, the most attractive of which is Cecil Taylor's One Too Many Salty Swift and Not Goodbye for $11.98

I missed out on Too Many Salty Swift..., but I did pick up some nice stuff there including Myra Melford's Even the Sounds Shine and Theo Jorgensmann's To Ornette - Hybrid Identity for $7.98 each. Great prices, but be prepared for a challenging search through their lists to find the stuff you want.

I just devote some time every few weeks to searching 'jazz' by genre, making sure to check CDs so it doesn't get cluttered with DVDs. It usually turns up around 500 items. You can also search by label.

Oh, and I've discovered that the Cecil Taylor set only goes for 14.98 at JazzLoft, half what most outlets who do stock it are asking.

I just devote some time every few weeks to searching 'jazz' by genre, making sure to check CDs so it doesn't get cluttered with DVDs. It usually turns up around 500 items. You can also search by label.

Oh, and I've discovered that the Cecil Taylor set only goes for 14.98 at JazzLoft, half what most outlets who do stock it are asking.

Thanks, I hadn't priced Salty Swifty at JazzLoft. I have a "burned" copy of the single CD version and have been looking forward to hearing the "full" version. I just ordered it from the Loft... along with Marc Copland's Haunted Heart and Other Ballads.

Edited by okierambler

• 1 month later...

Found some interesting download prices on the CD Universe website:

Pharaoh Sanders - Black Unity, $1.98: Black Unity

Pharaoh Sanders - Karma, $1.98: Karma

Pharaoh Sanders - Jewels of Thought, $1.98: Jewels of Thought

Keith Jarrett - Koln Concert, $3.96: Koln Concert

Keith Jarrett - Sun Bear Concerts, $12.87: Sun Bear Concerts

Miles Davis - Pangaea, $1.98: Pangaea