Art Pepper The Complete Pepper at Ronnie Scott's

brownie

"given the length of the songs, and knowing how Pepper could drift in those late days between brilliant playing and pseduo-post-Trane wandering"

in said one week stay @ronnie scott`s both the late art pepper and pianist milcho leviev were at their best and based on the part we do know (i.e mole lp`s "blues for the Fisherman" and "true blues") it would be of a suprise, if the remaining - previously unreleased - tracks should lack quality.

hope this will see as 4 (?)cd set the light of day too...should be eventually no problem, as the remastering is already done.....the lp set is (even for diehard pepper followers) VERY expensive ;-(( kr emil

I bought the Mole Jazz LP's when they came out. They were issued under Milcho Leviev's name for contractual reasons.

The sound is very good - a professional sounding recording.

The music is typical late period Pepper. Fans of his music from this period (admittedly, not my favorite) can expect to be happy with this.

The British label Pure Pleasure which specializes in reissuing vinyl albums will be releasing soon a 7 LPs box

Art Pepper Complete Ronnie Scott's

It will include the material that came out on two Mole Jazz LPs plus 17 performances that have not been issued before.

Hope this will be out in time for Christmas!

I had the LPs and later the CD that came out on the Mole Jazz label way back when. I also saw Art Pepper during his stay at Ronnie Scott's when this music was recorded and he was really on fire!

The music on the LPs/CD is uniformly excellent with both Art & Milcho Leviev on top form. The recordings also 'sound' very good so hopefully the remaining music is to the same high standard.

Whilst I'm not interested in paying this sort of money for vinyl I would almost certainly get the set if it came out on CD for a reasonable price. How about it Laurie?

Hi folks,

The word "complete at Ronnie Scott's" is ridiculous for a such issue or reissue for some titles.

Art Pepper played every day at Ronnie Scott from june 16 to june 29, 1980. I have all titles in more or less good quality. I guess that the project of Laurie Pepper is to issue all of them on CD.

I think that the 7LP box set includes only the last 2 nights (june 28 & 29, 1980). In that case, the word complete is correct.

I also saw Art Pepper during his stay at Ronnie Scott's when this music was recorded and he was really on fire!

I didn't catch any of the Ronnies performances (not sure why - maybe it was heavily booked up?) but I did catch the performance during this stint at RFH as part of the Capitol Jazz Fest 'Bird' Tribute. I agree, he was in excellent form!

It was due to be held in the Ally Pally but it burnt half way through the Fest due to a fire under the organ so was rescheduled last minute to the RFH !

Edited by sidewinder

Hi folks,

The word "complete at Ronnie Scott's" is ridiculous for a such issue or reissue for some titles.

Art Pepper played every day at Ronnie Scott from june 16 to june 29, 1980. I have all titles in more or less good quality. I guess that the project of Laurie Pepper is to issue all of them on CD.

I think that the 7LP box set includes only the last 2 nights (june 28 & 29, 1980). In that case, the word complete is correct.

Hi, all. Well, well. I'm planning on releasing the CD Box set in April/May of 2011. I'm only PLANNING to release the material professionally (and expertly) recorded by Mole, so my cd release will be the equivalent of this Pure Pleasure LP release and will contain only those two nights (mine might contain a little more of Art's talking between tunes). BUT if you want to send me copies of the stuff you have, of the preceding days, I'd love to hear it. I'd LOVE to have it. 'Cause I don't have it. —Laurie P

Indeed!

I have the two Mole Jazz LPs and would be delighted to have more material from those nights.

I certainly would wait a little longer to have them on CD!

April/May 2011, Laurie P

Guess I'd be *very* happy with this, but then the price... also a CD version would be preferred.

See my other posts about the date, etc.

I hope this is an approved release and Laurie is getting something out of this.... :unsure: :unsure:

Laurie can release the CD version. ;)

Yes, it IS highly approved!! Laurie P

• 3 weeks later...