GA Russell

Are there any box bargains currently available?

2,504 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Reuters reports that the pound has fallen to below $1.20, so today might be a good day to buy your CDs at Amazon UK.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-sterling/pound-slides-below-1-20-as-election-threat-adds-to-brexit-jeopardy-idUSKCN1VO13A

I’m not sure that’s the case because U.K. items are priced higher to begin with. For example the Henderson Tone Poet LP on Amazon US is $27. In the U.K., it’s £29 or $35, not to mention you have to pay for shipping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely worth checking Amazon UK before you buy elsewhere right now.  I recently picked up the Complete Bruford/Earthworks boxed set from Amazon UK for $100 (including shipping, no tax).  Amazon US has it for $121, plus around $10 tax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are two copies of Sonny's Prestige box for under $30 on Amazon, although one is without the box and giant booklet.  I found mine in a store for $29.99 on Sonny's birthday last year, coincidentally.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2019 at 8:52 PM, Justin V said:

There are two copies of Sonny's Prestige box for under $30 on Amazon, although one is without the box and giant booklet.  I found mine in a store for $29.99 on Sonny's birthday last year, coincidentally.  

And then there was one...

 

Thanks for the heads up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 8:02 PM, GA Russell said:

Four Manfred Mann BBC box sets are being released today.  Each is $16.98.  I will pick up the Chapter III set for sure.

Paul Jones
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Days-Vol-Live-1964/dp/B07PKDC3ZC/

Mike d'Abo
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Days-Vol-Live-1966-69/dp/B07PK6MXGY/

Chapter III
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Days-Vol-Sessions-Rarities/dp/B07PKDC54M/

Earth Band 1970-1973
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Days-Vol-Live-1970-73/dp/B07PK6MXGX/

And now the Paul Jones is 11.45 GBP, the Chapter III is 11.51 and the Earth Band is 12.86.  But the Mike d'Abo is still in the stratosphere.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Radio-Days-Vol-Live-70-73/dp/B07PK6MXGX/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 4:42 PM, felser said:

Nina Simone "Complete RCA Recordings" 9 CD box set being reissued.  $37 pre-order, likely will be even cheaper from third party sellers once released.  Inconsistent, but some real gems in there, and at $4/CD you can't go wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Rca-Albums-Collection-9Cd/dp/B07SRJF7CG/?tag=sdepcwus-20

This is a very good set and if you like Nina Simone and her music (and singing), you must listen to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, felser said:

Geez Louise, that’s cheap, and basically exactly the sort of thing I’m most interested in from most uber-deluxe box sets, i.e. all the audio/CD content (and the DVD/Blu-ray/5.1 content is rarely of any interest to me at all).

If only EVERY super-deluxe set came out this way (eventually), I’d buy a ton of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Geez Louise, that’s cheap, and basically exactly the sort of thing I’m most interested in from most uber-deluxe box sets, i.e. all the audio/CD content (and the DVD/Blu-ray/5.1 content is rarely of any interest to me at all).

If only EVERY super-deluxe set came out this way (eventually), I’d buy a ton of them.

Me too, though in this case I have the 3-CD set already ,so this would only give me a CD of rough studio in-progress cuts, so I'll pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The three Harvest Soft Machine albums have been remastered and sold as a box for 17.49 GBP.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SHHB5QJ/ref=pe_4061001_415209931_em_1p_0_lm

$24.22.
https://www.amazon.com/Harvest-Albums-1975-1978-Remastered-Boxset/dp/B07SHHB5QJ/

Does anyone have this?  There does not appear to be any bonus tracks.  I think the price is steep.  Tell me you disagree.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

The three Harvest Soft Machine albums have been remastered and sold as a box for 17.49 GBP.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SHHB5QJ/ref=pe_4061001_415209931_em_1p_0_lm

$24.22.
https://www.amazon.com/Harvest-Albums-1975-1978-Remastered-Boxset/dp/B07SHHB5QJ/

Does anyone have this?  There does not appear to be any bonus tracks.  I think the price is steep.  Tell me you disagree.

 

I passed.  I have the earlier Esoteric issues of the three albums, and that issue of the live one has much bonus material not on this box.  Utility of this box depends on if you have the earlier issues and how much you like the group.  "Bundles", with Allen Holdsworth, is the gem of the bunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, felser said:

I passed.  I have the earlier Esoteric issues of the three albums, and that issue of the live one has much bonus material not on this box.  Utility of this box depends on if you have the earlier issues and how much you like the group.  "Bundles", with Allen Holdsworth, is the gem of the bunch.

John, I bought all three LPs when they were new.  If the price were similar to what OACs go for, I'd probably spring for this.  But not for me for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DeepDiscount.com is selling the newly released (11/01/2019) Nat King Cole Trio "Hittin' the Ramp: The Early Years (1936 - 1943)" 7-CD boxed set issued by Resonance Records for $81.15 AND (through 11/08/2019) you can apply the promotional code "MISTLETOE" to get another 10% off of your order.  Shipping is free for orders totaling $25.00 or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Edward said:

DeepDiscount.com is selling the newly released (11/01/2019) Nat King Cole Trio "Hittin' the Ramp: The Early Years (1936 - 1943)" 7-CD boxed set issued by Resonance Records for $81.15 AND (through 11/08/2019) you can apply the promotional code "MISTLETOE" to get another 10% off of your order.  Shipping is free for orders totaling $25.00 or more.

Import Cds has it for $69. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Brad said:

Import Cds has it for $69. 

I find that fascinating, because DeepDiscount.com and importcds.com are the same company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I find that fascinating, because DeepDiscount.com and importcds.com are the same company.

Yet they use slightly different business models on ebay.  importcds offers 20% off $65 purchase, where deepdiscount does not.  Their single CD prices are basically the same (deep discount generally a penny cheaper), yet deep discount breaks out $1.99 of the price as separate shipping, where importcds loads it all into the CD price and ships free.  I guess they kept those distinctives from when they were different companies.  Collectors Choice was always something very different, even using their own reissue label.  They seem to have a presence on discogs as pop.market from what I can tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are new, so you may not consider them bargains.

Tom Rush - Complete Elektra - $19.98
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Elektra-Recordings-2-Cd/dp/B07Z7437XC/

*****

Dino, Desi & Billy - The Singles A's & B's - $19.98
https://www.amazon.com/Singles-As-Bs-Cd/dp/B07Z74Q1XJ/

*****

Alexis Korner - Complete Warner Bros. - $19.98
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Warner-Bros-Recordings-Cd/dp/B07Z74ZWRM/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, felser said:

Yet they use slightly different business models on ebay.  importcds offers 20% off $65 purchase, where deepdiscount does not.  Their single CD prices are basically the same (deep discount generally a penny cheaper), yet deep discount breaks out $1.99 of the price as separate shipping, where importcds loads it all into the CD price and ships free.  I guess they kept those distinctives from when they were different companies.  Collectors Choice was always something very different, even using their own reissue label.  They seem to have a presence on discogs as pop.market from what I can tell.

I wasn’t aware of that. Lately, I’ve purchased a few cds from them. They deliver relatively quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.