ebay madness re: vinyl

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... lets put all our money together :excited:

greatest record/music collection on earth

must be the most expensive storage problem in the world. :ph34r:

you know ... looking at three pieces of cake makes you hungry but looking at three million pieces of cake makes you ... sick. :mellow:

Indeed.

I've been following this story for a while. I'm really skeptical about the value and quality of this collection. This guy has been trying to sell it for about four years now. Long story short, he's had a couple legit offers which fell through or didn't meet his standards for the amount he wanted for it (he started asking $25 million and turned his nose up at the Library of Congress' $12 mil offer) now he can't give it away for the "bargain" price of $3 million (this was the second shot on eBay.)

The dude wrote price guides, delt in remainders and cut-outs and has been kind of cagey about letting people see the computerized inventory lists. Color me skeptical about this being the greatest music collection in the world.

... lets put all our money together :excited:

greatest record/music collection on earth

The dude wrote price guides, delt in remainders and cut-outs and has been kind of cagey about letting people see the computerized inventory lists. Color me skeptical about this being the greatest music collection in the world.

Anyway the J. Geils Band album on the right (Full House) is a fine one "first i look at the purse" is one of the titles.

I think we will soon get used to see those Coltrane on Impulse reach higher prices than before... Afterall, they have all needed to be interesting records to collect : nice art covers, heavy gatefold package, quality vinyl and RVG recording... no need to talk about the music, one of the most important musician of the XXth century...I have tried to gather my Coltrane on Impulse when they were still affordable ( 10 - 5 years ago), and i'm not surprised to see that the take off roll is engaged.

Anyway, if someone has a NM Mono copy of Impulse 21, the first Coltrane Quartet on Impulse, (and my favourite Coltrane) let me know.... :rolleyes:

I think we will soon get used to see those Coltrane on Impulse reach higher prices than before...

It is a bit like Kind Of Blue: not a rare record at all, but there is such high demand that it always fetches rather high prices.

I have seen 100's of copies of A Love Supreme or Ballads being sold on eBay the last couple of years; they never sell below $100-150, though.

Having said that, it is not so easy to find decent copies of real first pressings (shiny label; "Ampar" imprint on the bottom of label) of the first couple of Coltranes on Impulse!