Steve Lacy

Late

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Estilhacos,Live in Lisbon is quite good,one of the best archival live Lacy's i've heard.I wish Flakes,the 1974 session on Italian RCA, would see the light of day on cd.I recall Flakes with affection.

I wish i saw cds from Steve Potts.

How about the duo album Sidelines, on Paul Bley's label? I've never heard of this one, but I like the sound of it.

It's good. I don't know if this will make any sense, but I've always thought that Michael Smith's playing provided Lacy with the most most sympathetic and fitting piano accompaniment he ever had. That's not the same thing as saying that Smith was the best pianist to play with Lacy - he certainly wasn't, from a jazz standpoint. But his accompaniments seemed totally locked into Lacy's vision.

• 3 weeks later...

The quality of Steve's musical efforts is only surpassed by the quality of the man himself. One of the true gentlemen in jazz history. He had an amazingly broad knowledge of art in general. The time I spent with him in the eighties when he was touring with Mal Waldron was unforgettable. Much love to the memory of the great Steve Lacy!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been listening through all my Lacy lately, going chronologically, and the breadth of his work and his development across different formats/instrumentations continues to blow me away. I maintain my soft spot for Futurities (I'm in the 1980s now) but you simply cannot argue with Blinks, Cliches, or Morning Joy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ5ORdM6ZQk

thanks it's apparently from this Lacy doc which I enjoyed listening to/watching as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWOEUlmoHBQ

np

What is the song Lacy plays on the piano and sings at the end of this documentary? Sounds like the Spirit Of Monk got into him.