Classical music bargains

Д.Д.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I wouldn't want to have a benchmark myself. Really the entire cycle is for reference, it seems to me, not for life, the best of the symphonies are to be heard in many versions. I have a very low tolerance for the sound of historical recordings of orchestral repertoire. That's why Neumann is going in the car! Thankfully Rowicki and Kertesz are both on Spotify. Hurrah!

• 2 weeks later...

Ottorino Respighi: Orchestral Works (EMI Classical) for £4 at amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co...37018766&sr=8-3

Listened to disc 1 only so far - loved it. This Pini di Roma piece is dramatic!

51BOuJzw-oL.jpg51uaNCH8DZL.jpg

Hope EMI continues with their 20th Century Classics series (http://www.emiclassics.com/catalogueresults.php?sser=MjB0aCBDZW50dXJ5IENsYXNzaWNz ) , but frankly I can't think of any of the "big" composers they have not covered yet (well, they actually miss Berg and Webern... and all Americans... they still miss a lot actually).

• 2 weeks later...

I fear it's too late for this (showing back-order), but amazon.ca is improbably offering

15 Yves Nat CDs for C$16.09

I guess you never know. You can always put in an order. I think this one is more likely to be fulfilled:

Complete Sampson Francois (EMI)

I briefly considered this yesterday but decided 30+ CDs was too much even for me, and I went for this slimmed down 3 CD box instead: Sampson Trilogie

That's interesting. I actually paid somewhat more for this from Amazon.co.uk, though fortunately not drastically more. But it now seems to be OOP in the UK. Hope it actually turns up on Amazon.com.

That's interesting. I actually paid somewhat more for this from Amazon.co.uk, though fortunately not drastically more. But it now seems to be OOP in the UK. Hope it actually turns up on Amazon.com.

How's the sound quality of these recordings?

One thing about the Toscanini Collection is that there is a pressing problem where the 1953 live version of Beethoven Eroica is repeated twice instead of the 1949 studio version (on CD1). Sony appears to be aware of this, so the Amazon.com set will *probably* be corrected. One can only hope. People who have already ordered from Amazon.co.uk are hoping that there will be a way to contact Sony (or possibly Amazon) to get the one disc fixed (as with the Glenn Gould set) rather than returning the entire thing. Not sure anyone else on the board was impacted, but I can post my experiences if I do find out how to get a corrected disc.

This has appeared as a download - probably later to appear in CD, memory stick and God only knows what other format:

CHAN%2010729.jpg

If you don't know Bridge there's a marvellous journey there from Edwardian sub-Brahmsianism through Impressionism to the edge of the world of Berg and Bartok.

Got to be better than yet another 900 CD Celebrity Conductor Ancestor Worship box playing all the usual suspects!

Hope EMI continues with their 20th Century Classics series (http://www.emiclassics.com/catalogueresults.php?sser=MjB0aCBDZW50dXJ5IENsYXNzaWNz ) , but frankly I can't think of any of the "big" composers they have not covered yet (well, they actually miss Berg and Webern... and all Americans... they still miss a lot actually).

Any particular favorites and recommendations there?

I've laid eyes on the Honegger and the Satie but haven't jumped for them (nor for any others from the series).

Any particular favorites and recommendations there?

I've laid eyes on the Honegger and the Satie but haven't jumped for them (nor for any others from the series).

If you haven't yet done Dutilleux, that's worthwhile (though ignore the opening piece, Le Loup). There's a few of those quite promising if you don't already know the repertoire. The Hindemith with Mathis etc. is a very good compilation. I don't know the Abbado Kammermusiken but can't be bad. I never too much interest in Hartmann but there's a chance to revisit him. Stockhausen! And Suk cond. Pesek. Dutilleux for sure.

BTW the list at DD's link is not complete. There are over 60.