MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday was quite a memorable day from all the days I've watched baseball.

These one & done games Friday are strange and seem a bit unfair and out of place.

If they want to consolidate the schedule, perhaps 1 game in team #1 city , followed by a travel day and a scheduled double-header (2nd game if needed) at city #2. Team that wins 2 consecutive moves on...SOMETHING other than this.

These one & done games Friday are strange and seem a bit unfair and out of place.

If they want to consolidate the schedule, perhaps 1 game in team #1 city , followed by a travel day and a scheduled double-header (2nd game if needed) at city #2. Team that wins 2 consecutive moves on...SOMETHING other than this.

Not a bad idea! Best 2 out of 3.

Shocking news

Bobby Valentine gets canned

NO WAY! Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy -- is there anyone left who he did not throw under the bus?

He inherited a mess that wasn't of his making. Unfortunately, he wasn't the right guy for the team. Ownership should take some blame here.

I just worry about baseball going to an expanded NHL/NBA playoff wherein everybody makes it in.

I'm still not convinced the extra WC team is a good idea.

It made the division races meaningful.

Speaking of the Sox, it sounds like Bobby V is managing his two last games so I guess we'll see Dan back pretty soon :D

Shocking news

Bobby Valentine gets canned

I'M BAAAAAAACCKK!

Not really, but at least I can give a shit again.

As I predicted. Welcome back.

One of the things that is driving me nuts is the AP story that is being used on a lot of sites. It calls Bobby Valentine a "Baseball Savant." Come on AP, what the heck!!! The definition of a savant is:

Savantism is a rare condition in which people with neurodevelopmental disorders, notably autism spectrum disorders, and/or brain injuries, demonstrate profound and prodigious capacities and/or abilities far in excess of what would be considered normal.

In what way, shape or form, is Valentine a "baseball savant?" Just terrible writing in my book.

Here's the quote:

A baseball savant who won the NL pennant with the New York Mets and won it all in Japan, Valentine was brought in after two-time World Series champion Terry Francona lost control of the clubhouse during an unprecedented September collapse. But the players who took advantage of Francona's hands-off approach bristled under Valentine's abrasive style.

I just worry about baseball going to an expanded NHL/NBA playoff wherein everybody makes it in.

I think you get that with the previous system of allowing only one WC team.

I agree, I felt it all meant less this year because the teams were all in, no one was risking being eliminated. Last year was good because someone was going home with a loss. I hate this new system mad.gif

You don't really locate them anywhere. Just create the teams and have them always on the road. They get their money up front, play the gig, and go on to the next one.

Kinda like the Sonny Stitts of baseball teams.

Dang, been done, that's how the old Negro Leagues operated most of the time.

Baseball's big on "tradition", so...what better way to honor it than by destroying it?

I could do Selig's job twice as badly and at half the cost. What is MLB waiting for?

roach_0b99db09bc.jpg

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

this bud's workin' on it. look for 2 additional wild card teams next year....................

Edited by alocispepraluger102

With one wild card there's no premium to winning the division, as the wild card only gets less home games. With two wild cards, you run the risk, if you're a wild card, of one game and you're out. With one wild card there's a five game series for the wild card. That scenario is what drove the Yanks and O's to battle it out to the end, as neither team wanted to face a one and done situation.

I'm a Yank fan through and through, but much respect and admiration for the A's & O's and their battles to make the playoffs. Both teams have just about no household names, but they both play hard and give it everything they've got. I think for manager of the year in the AL we need two winners, Showalter & Melvin, both deserve it richly.

A side note- the A's traded Gio Gonzalez in the offseason, he might win the Cy Young, and the A's STILL make the playoffs- amazing!!!

With one wild card there's no premium to winning the division, as the wild card only gets less home games. With two wild cards, you run the risk, if you're a wild card, of one game and you're out. With one wild card there's a five game series for the wild card. That scenario is what drove the Yanks and O's to battle it out to the end, as neither team wanted to face a one and done situation.

I'm a Yank fan through and through, but much respect and admiration for the A's & O's and their battles to make the playoffs. Both teams have just about no household names, but they both play hard and give it everything they've got. I think for manager of the year in the AL we need two winners, Showalter & Melvin, both deserve it richly.

A side note- the A's traded Gio Gonzalez in the offseason, he might win the Cy Young, and the A's STILL make the playoffs- amazing!!!

with the next to lowest payroll in mlb.

B-Side note - the A's also lose Bartolo Colon for PED/HDH/Whatever reasons, end up with five rookies in the rotation, and don't miss a beat. Not one beat.

Tell me that's not Totally Crazy Baseball. One way or the other, that's just nuts. That recent Saturday game where the A's hit something like 18 homer in the 13th only to have the Yankees come back, tie it up, and win it in the 14th, for any other team, that might be a Coyote Chasing The Roadrunner Through thin Air And Finally Looking Down Moment. What we did to the Angels on September 1st threw them off for at least a few weeks afterwards. And the Angels got BIG MONEY STARS, per Heyman, the first team to ever have too many good players (you can look it up, that's what he said)!!! The A's just shrug it off, come back and win the next day, and keep on winning.

When do hte A's look down? DO they look down?

Only in baseball, maybe.

Expand each league by a team, go to four divisions, and lose the Wild Card altogether. At least it'll be all "winners" playing instead of three "winners" an one or tow "runner up"s.

I love what you have to say about your Rangers but I disagree here. The more you carve up divisions the more likely you have a losing record "win" a division while more deserving 2nd place teams lose out. Look at the NFL when a 7-9 Seattle team made the playoffs. And yes, I know they won their first game but still. Whatever the debate is for AL MVP about Mike Trout vs. Cabrera, the thing that kills me is those twits who say "Well Detroit won their division." Yeah, but who had the better record? Angels. And who had the best record in baseball once the kid was called up? At least with 3 games to go in the season it was the freaking Angels. So shame on them for not calling him up earlier because of arbitration issues down the line. Anyway, I'd rather go back to 2 division than go to 4!