Free jazz that is more serene than jarring

scoos_those_ blues

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another yes to People In Sorrow, btw. If you don't live in the US, you can find clips on YouTube. Otherwise...just trust us! :g

I have probably mentioned this before, but when I bought this LP (Nessa edition) early in college, I came home on a break from work and put it on to check it out. My break lasted two hours as I put it on start-to-finish twice. It was so wonderful I couldn't leave the room.

Zodiac is great. I used to have a battered LP copy of it, but sold that for a few hundred bucks.

Still have my eyes out for a clean one, or if it ever makes it to CD...

Ah yes, Tippett's Blueprint (really an Ovary Lodge record) would decidedly fit.

41J5ZQ37SQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'd say this one is even stronger, but not easy to find (I work off an LP copy from its initial release).

Yeah, that one is quite strong too. There's also a nice record by that group on Ogun. I'm pretty sure neither of those two made it to CD, but I could be wrong.

Edited by clifford_thornton

Well, any solo Derek Bailey fits the bill perfectly well for me - not just the late-career standards album "Ballads" (which is beautiful!) but also discs like "Domestic and Public Pieces" or "Aida". Also some of his duets, like the wonderful one with Joëlle Léandre on Potlatch.

But then Derek Bailey isn't free jazz ... but who the hell gives a damn anyway, he was great and absolutely one of a kind.

MI0003315252.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I think this was one of the last recording featuring Paul Motian. He was probably on alot of other "serene" albums.

In addition to the Walt Dickerson album already noted, I would suggest checking out "Shades of Love", "Visions", and "Tenderness".

• 1 year later...