Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bet the Tyshawn album is good. That copy is dreadful.

I listened to it last night. It's very sparse and introspective overall, going to take some concentrated listening...

And I almost forgot a recent Matthew Shipp performance that I like a lot, with the Core Trio:

https://thecoretrio.bandcamp.com/album/the-core-trio-with-matthew-shipp

Edited by CraigP

I listened to it last night. It's very sparse and introspective overall, going to take some concentrated listening...

I preferred Koan to Oblique so that whets my appetite to hear it's sparse

His concert drumming has been anything but sparse lately, seeming to follow an entirely different trajectory. But it was the sparse, minimalist music that Tyshawn mostly made himself known to the listening public. I would be most interested to see Tyshawn play piano in concert.

His concert drumming has been anything but sparse lately, seeming to follow an entirely different trajectory. But it was the sparse, minimalist music that Tyshawn mostly made himself known to the listening public. I would be most interested to see Tyshawn play piano in concert.

There is a section where he goes into what sounds like a hip-hop influenced rhythm, but overall it is more sparse and moody. It's only been one listen, but I like it better so far than Oblique, which to me was very M-Base-y but somewhat bland.

reverseblue.jpg

Picked up a copy while up in NYC, and have played this through twice; starts well and improves with each spin. An album with a coherent and cohesive aesthetic, beautifully performed, with Halvorson's incredible guitar playing and compositions. To me, it has a Giuffre-like feel to it, but also with that Braxtonish approach to small-group playing. I think it would be helpful to listen to this as if it was a suite; it has that kind of wholeness,

I've been digging this album too. At this stage it still loses me a bit in the second half leading up to the excellent Really OK. More spins required etc. An excellent album, i'm still knocked out by Chris Speed here, his playing adds the perfect amount of bite.

He was fantastic on the piano in a duo with Fay Victor

I felt bad for her when she went over to the piano bench *after* Sorey returned to his drum kit.

It actually took him a few minutes before he struck the actual keys - but as with his drumming he is grooving and swinging long before we hear it.

reverseblue.jpg

Picked up a copy while up in NYC, and have played this through twice; starts well and improves with each spin. An album with a coherent and cohesive aesthetic, beautifully performed, with Halvorson's incredible guitar playing and compositions. To me, it has a Giuffre-like feel to it, but also with that Braxtonish approach to small-group playing. I think it would be helpful to listen to this as if it was a suite; it has that kind of wholeness,

I've been digging this album too. At this stage it still loses me a bit in the second half leading up to the excellent Really OK. More spins required etc. An excellent album, i'm still knocked out by Chris Speed here, his playing adds the perfect amount of bite.

Ordered my copy today in no small part due to the discussions of it on the board. When I read "Halvorson" and "Giuffre" in the same sentence it became a 'must buy' :) I've also just realised how much I like the cover design....a small bonus. Now all I need is for the good people at Relative Pitch to get it in the post quickly so I can join in the discussions

Edited by mjazzg

New Tyshawn Sorey on Pi Recordings

"On Alloy, Sorey takes on the jazz piano trio tradition as exemplified by Bill Evans, Paul Bley and Andrew Hill, in addition to contemporary artists such as Craig Taborn, Jason Moran and Vijay Iyer and extends the continuum to include compositional influences from classical music such as Morton Feldman, Claude Debussy and Frédéric Chopin."

no ambition there, then?

Whether he succeeds or not is a matter of interpretation.

New solo Matthew Shipp "I've been to many places" is excellent. Very classical sounding, Scriabin or something.

Spotify link: https://play.spotify.com/album/2JSkES12KzaSlTNsf3LuM5

I'd been listening to this one a lot via Spotify and the CD arrived yesterday... really nice album, a great mix of inside and outside stuff... there's some really pretty stuff in there (i've listened to the minute thirty version of 'Where is the Love' dozens of times already). It's been a really nice companion to The Root of Things in my recent listening.

• 2 weeks later...

That CD/LP/DVD concept is borrowed from a lot of the "super deluxe" (as they are called) rock reissues (some Miles stuff too I think). Is there really a reason to combine CDs and LPs? not sure. Probably wouldn't please though who gave up their TT. That CD5 jumps out at me; would like to hear that. 75 euros / 94 dollars though, have to think about that.

I loathe the CD/LP thing. Absolutely pointless and drives up the cost. I can't stress how not into new vinyl I am. The prices are just ludicrous. It's hard enough out there!

I agree!!

Other than the fact that i dig CDs, one of the things that has put me off embracing vinyl in general is the fact that i mostly order stuff from overseas. International courier costs are exorbitant and i'm thinking stuff would get smashed via regular post (plus i would need a bigger mail box).