Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Too bad the packaging is not improved on "Mad Dogs" 2. My package of the first set arrived all off the pegs, with one badly scratched. I had to get Not Two to replace it, rather a hassle for all involved. I'd hate to have that happen again. I might have the dealer open the box before shipment to check condition and put the discs in sleeves.

As for Niels dilemma, I'd say the Cecil Taylor and Tapscott are essentials. I know the Cecil has been banging about for a while, so can probably be picked up when a good price offers, but I'd hate to see the Tapscott go O/P, then get pricey. Those Hats can disappear fast.

I emailed Not Two a while ago and asked them if they could replace my cd 1 of that first boxset. I haven't got any reply so far... :/

That's not good. When I asked for my disk replacement, the set had just been issued, so I assume they had spare discs around. It helped that the dealer I bought it from interceded as well. The set is O/P now; maybe they went through whatever spares they had on hand. I'd keep trying though with Not Two (email, Facebook, whatever). Or maybe your dealer can help.

Received Mad Dogs On The Loose today, with all four discs attached to their foam buttons!

Would you mind playing the giant Lotto sweepstakes here for me? I like your luck! :)

Dave Rempis has a couple new ones on the way: a quartet with Nate Wooley, Pascal Niggenkemper, and Chris Corsano & a new Ballister.

Now shipping:

http://www.aerophonicrecords.com

Also to me.

I listened to the long clip on the web site. It sounds much more like a Nate Wooley album than a Dave Rempis album. That might have been a good thing in any event, except that Wooley nowadays often seems to fall into mannerism. And am I playing solo here when I state that, both live and on record, Corsano's drumming has fallen way off. Yay, verily, even to being called boring. At the Parker Residency he was as exciting as a metronome. Daisy would have been a decided plus. Well, I hope the other tracks contain more Rempis than Nate W.

In another thread there was a mention of psi Records, Evan Parker's label, being "dormant." While looking around the Emanem site, I noticed this:

"Emanem has bought the rights from hat Hut (referring to "School Days"), and has also bought some other rarities from that label that will appear over the next year."

Hmmm. Was this already discussed here, or does anyone have information what these Hat rarities might be. A tantalizing promise.

Edited by Leeway

I saw that too.

I sure hope CvsD does more Hats, especially the remaining 70s McPhees (Willisau Concert, Rotation, Graphics, and Tales & Prophecies). The Phillip Wilson/Olu Dara would be great as well. I have the Carroll on LP and it's very, very good.

My guess re: Emanem is that more Lacy will come out, like Tips. I think the only other 70s date not reissued at some point is Stamps, but it seems to me the label sort of shies away from jazzier group things, so I wonder if something like that would happen. Other than that, it's hard to say because a lot of the obscure 70s titles are by French and Swiss players, whereas Emanem seems to stick more with the UK, US and Germany ...

I like what Corbett vs Dempsey has done with some of the Joe McPhee titles. I hope they continue along that path.

I'm quite impressed with how Martin Davidson is going full speed ahead with releases, even going out and buying rights to non-Emanem titles. Thank you MD!

The encouraging thing is that even if Hat falters, there are those out there ready to step in.

Got back from NYC yesterday to find my order from Catalytic Sound, which included Mad Dogs OTL, waiting for me. With considerable trepidation, I opened the package. Are you familiar with those "unboxing" videos on YT? I should have done one for this.

Inside the Mad Dogs folder, I found all 4 CDs had come off their spongey pucks, one taking the puck with it on the way out. However, the good news is that all 4 discs were "face down" on the opposite side of the booklet, in precise alignment with their original, but opposite page, order. I don't know how that could have happened. I would have thought it more likely that they were found in a confused huddle at the bottom of the sleeve, like last time. Anyway, they look like they survived well enough. Now to get to play them,

Pleased to see the Treader label reactivated. A fine source for Uk improv scene in the past

recent Downtown Music Gallery update listed several new titles with their usual capitalisation

ISHMAEL WADADA LEO SMITH / JOHN TILBURY - Bishopsgate Concert
(Treader 21; UK)

SPRING HEEL JACK With PAT THOMAS/ALEX WARD/PAUL LYTTON - Live in
Antwerp (Treader 19; UK)

ALAN WILKINSON/PAT THOMAS/STEVE NOBLE/JOHN COXON - The Founder Effect
I (Treader 16; UK)
ALAN WILKINSON/PAT THOMAS/STEVE NOBLE/JOHN COXON - The Founder Effect
II (Treader 17; UK)

PAT THOMAS/STEVE NOBLE - THE BOTH - The Founder Effect III (Treader
18; UK)

I ordered direct from Treader through their non -dormant but not updated website http://treader.org/

Pleased to see the Treader label reactivated. A fine source for Uk improv scene in the past

recent Downtown Music Gallery update listed several new titles with their usual capitalisation

ISHMAEL WADADA LEO SMITH / JOHN TILBURY - Bishopsgate Concert

(Treader 21; UK)

I ordered direct from Treader through their non -dormant but not updated website http://treader.org/

sounds good judging from the teaser i found on the tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx7bDoY5Umg

Anything you're looking forward to in 2015? Here's what I know of:

-Matana Roberts - All Thee Rise: Coin Coin Chapter 3

-Nate Wooley - Battle Pieces (Laubrock, Courvosier, Mat Moran)

-Tim Berne's Electric Snakeoil

-Myra Melford's Snowy Egret

-Anthony Braxton Falling River Music

-Weasel Walter/Chris Pitsiokos duo

Just out:

Evan Parker - Electro-Acoustic Septet (Victo)

Hopes for reissue:

-Karyobin

-Billy Bang, John Lindberg, or Glenn Spearman BS/SN box (ha!)

-Joe Daley 3xCD from JLH

-Phillip Wilson/Olu Dara - Esoteric via CvsD

-Po Torch LPs (hahaha!)

I recently took a look at Pete Stubley's EFI site. In the January update he says he had considered closing the site as his information was no longer current. Having discussed this with others, such as Evan Parker and Barry Guy he has opted to continue and includes a massive update. You can see his problem just from the update. So many new names and labels from recent years, and so very many releases from the established names like Guy and Parker. I am finding our own thread here quite useful just for recommendations - but there seems to be more stuff out there than EVER.

Anything you're looking forward to in 2015?

- Harris Eisenstadt = new Golden State album (not sure if confirmed... I'm sure i read about it on his site).

- Chris Lightcap = new Bigmouth album, mentioned on his website.

- Wayne Shorter = unconfirmed as far as i know but i'm sure that he mentioned in an interview that a new album was coming out on BN in 2014, so...

- Henry Threadgill = pure wishful thinking but it's possible.

- Mary Halvorson = solo album (listed under Upcoming Releases on her site... coming out on Firehouse 12)

- Mary Halvorson = duo disc with Stephen Crump (as above except coming out on Intakt)

- John Hollenbeck = Songs I Like A Lot, Volume 2 (remember reading about it somewhere, probably his site).

- Ellery Eskelin = solo album (confirmed on Hat).

Off the top of my head those are the ones that i can think of that are reasonably solidly confirmed (other than the Threadgill). Ton more wishful thinking ones... Steve Coleman, Joe Morris Quartet with Jim Hobbs et al (one of my favourite groups, would love for them to record again)

EDIT: Just remembered that JD Allen looks like he has a new album called Graffiti coming out in 2015, judging by his facebook page. Wonder if it will be a new quartet album with piano or something else? (i dig the trio stuff but i really enjoyed the last two quartet albums).

Edited by xybert

The "Battle Pieces" disc is getting a lot of buzz.

From what I heard live, "Electric Snakeoil" should be pretty good

Looking forward to hearing Myra's "Snowy Egret" live this week; wonder if she'll have discs with her.

If she does ask her to post me one.....or even better bring the band over here

Edited by mjazzg

The "Battle Pieces" disc is getting a lot of buzz.

From what I heard live, "Electric Snakeoil" should be pretty good

Looking forward to hearing Myra's "Snowy Egret" live this week; wonder if she'll have discs with her.

If she does ask her to post me one.....or even better bring the band over here

Let's see what I can find out ;)