Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW, the Halvorson is not bad, but not great, either.

Bummer... still looking forward to hearing it, will probably benefit from the slightly lowered expectations (although, having said that, i wasn't expecting a mind blower, but still).

I heard the group, it's fantastic. I haven't heard the record, but I expect it to be be just as good. Not just being a fanboy, or if I am, its OK, because it seems justified here.

Two new Vandermark boxes:

9 Ways To Build A Bridge (6xCD)

duos w/ McPhee, Fernandez, Kurzmann and Morris + two trios w/ Wooley & Lytton and Tilbury & Prévost

Sound In Motion (5xCD)

DKV Trío

I think these are all 2014 recordings. Both are available for preorder at Catalytic ($55)

Tempting indeed.

I'd stopped buying KV releases because I din't listen to the loads I had but that first box is making me think again

Exactly my thought as well. The trio with Prevost and Tibury seems incongruous, but it hopefully would reveal a different side to KV.

Tempting indeed.

I'd stopped buying KV releases because I din't listen to the loads I had but that first box is making me think again

Exactly my thought as well. The trio with Prevost and Tibury seems incongruous, but it hopefully would reveal a different side to KV.

I like what Prevost has been doing in his "Meetings with Remarkable Saxophonists," and his meeting with Yarde, I thought, was pretty engaging. I'm not too shocked therefore that he and Vandermark have hooked up.

I did once see KV with Lytton and Lovens and it was a disaster.

Granted it was maybe 12-14 years ago, but it didn't come close to working

Tempting indeed.

I like what Prevost has been doing in his "Meetings with Remarkable Saxophonists," and his meeting with Yarde, I thought, was pretty engaging. I'm not too shocked therefore that he and Vandermark have hooked up. I'm still making my way to order those sets.

BUT a disc with Tilbury is a whole other deal. This is KV with AMM for all intents and purposes. Maybe I'm off base, but I can't imagine this being a good match.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

I did once see KV with Lytton and Lovens and it was a disaster.

Granted it was maybe 12-14 years ago, but it didn't come close to working

Tempting indeed.

I like what Prevost has been doing in his "Meetings with Remarkable Saxophonists," and his meeting with Yarde, I thought, was pretty engaging. I'm not too shocked therefore that he and Vandermark have hooked up. I'm still making my way to order those sets.

BUT a disc with Tilbury is a whole other deal. This is KV with AMM for all intents and purposes. Maybe I'm off base, but I can't imagine this being a good match.

I noticed this Twitter feed from Dawid Laskowski:

https://twitter.com/MrPilatusP/status/513309690017898496

"Last night Vandermark/Prevost w/ Tilbury was mind-boggling tonite more w/ Guillaume Viltard (@cafe oto).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe Vandermark is the new Lou Gare. I do sense that Prevost is exploring changes in his music, cf the Yarde disc. . Prevost's drumming on these discs is really strong. I'm not too surprised that KV is willing to hook-up with EP and JT.

I wonder if Prevost is playing the trap set. One of the reasons why I need to get those Meetings with Saxophonists is that I understand Eddie is that he plays actual drums on those recordings

He does play actual drums (I'm speaking generally for all four discs), and he pretty much lays into them too. It's really exciting playing, and it seemed a departure from recent AMM stuff. I haven't followed that as closely as you, but it is definitely not the sort of minimalism one associates with later Prevost. There's a lot of bold playing.

Prevost quite often plays the hell out of drums in London. In fact I'd reckon he plays as often these days in the more "Jazz" style in trios, quartets etc (ref. 'remarkable saxophonists') than AMM perform together. His Quartet (with Tom Chant) releases on Matchless have I always thought illustrated this side of his playing in contrast to AMM. I've seen Vandermark with Tilbury and Wachsmann where Tilbury played very un-AMM music too. Check out his trio with Edwards and Sanders for a 'louder' Tilbury.

It may well be that the KV trio with Prevost and Tilbury isn't so much AMM + Ken but a far less minimal meeting. On the other hand it could well be the former - and that, I guess, is the joy of following consumate musicians like these

Prevost quite often plays the hell out of drums in London. In fact I'd reckon he plays as often these days in the more "Jazz" style in trios, quartets etc (ref. 'remarkable saxophonists') than AMM perform together. His Quartet (with Tom Chant) releases on Matchless have I always thought illustrated this side of his playing in contrast to AMM. I've seen Vandermark with Tilbury and Wachsmann where Tilbury played very un-AMM music too. Check out his trio with Edwards and Sanders for a 'louder' Tilbury.

It may well be that the KV trio with Prevost and Tilbury isn't so much AMM + Ken but a far less minimal meeting. On the other hand it could well be the former - and that, I guess, is the joy of following consumate musicians like these

All this talk has me wanting to buy both boxes and half the matchless catalogue while I'm at it

Bummer... still looking forward to hearing it, will probably benefit from the slightly lowered expectations (although, having said that, i wasn't expecting a mind blower, but still).

I heard the group, it's fantastic. I haven't heard the record, but I expect it to be be just as good. Not just being a fanboy, or if I am, its OK, because it seems justified here.

Nothing wrong with being a fanboy, and I like all the artists involved in this group. There are some great tracks, but again, there are some fair to middling as well. It just feels like there's a limited bag of tricks that they play here, whether by design or otherwise. Like they are being challenged and can only give one kind of answer. I was disappointed, given the expectations. I wouldn't be surprised if they kill it live.

Most of the Matchless catalog is pretty sick. Anything not verified as completely sick means I just haven't heard it yet.

I have most of the AMM of which I am a huge fan of, especially the stuff with Tilbury and Rowe.

I have a few of the others - but not the trios with Tom Chant

Fwiw the duo CD with Prevost/Schlippenbach is wonderous

Nothing wrong with being a fanboy, and I like all the artists involved in this group. There are some great tracks, but again, there are some fair to middling as well. It just feels like there's a limited bag of tricks that they play here, whether by design or otherwise. Like they are being challenged and can only give one kind of answer. I was disappointed, given the expectations. I wouldn't be surprised if they kill it live.

I was irritated I wasn't at either of the two nights last week.

Most of the Matchless catalog is pretty sick. Anything not verified as completely sick means I just haven't heard it yet.

I have most of the AMM of which I am a huge fan of, especially the stuff with Tilbury and Rowe.

I have a few of the others - but not the trios with Tom Chant

Fwiw the duo CD with Prevost/Schlippenbach is wonderous

I was irritated I wasn't at either of the two nights last week.

I don't want to leave the impression (if I did) that this is a crash and burn, howling in the night band. Just the opposite really. The band is a quiet, controlled band, very precise, very composed, idiosyncratic; the intensity is there, but it seems to me a controlled intensity. When I first heard them, the thought occurred to me that this group is very much in a Giuffre-like mode. I guess we'll see if that translates to the CD.