Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first two that you posted there are things that I have always wished I had bought when available. I'm always on such a budget, it's possible I will have to miss the reissues. Still haven't heard them!

Wasn't the Atlanta concert vinyl only?

Yes it was vinyl only. Are the above all available in CD?

I lent the above 3 CD Brotzmann Chicago Octet/Tentet set to a "friend" years ago and it and the "friend" disappeared. For me, along with Stone/Water, the best representation of that seminal large ensemble. The two versions of "Other Brothers" (live & studio) give some approximation of what that tune sounded like live. It was the first piece they performed on the first night they played in NY @ Tonic in 1999 or 2000. After that 25 minute intro to the set, my friend Josh, who is no huge Brotzmann or free jazz fan, who was sitting next to me - said it was the single greatest thing he ever heard.

I agreed. But I was speechless which is the last thing I usually am.

Stunned disbelief at what I had just heard.

To this day, the only thing or piece of music or anything I ever heard that came near that was the same band two years later in the same place.

But it still didn't have the immense power of "Other Brothers"

I guess I need to re-buy the set.

Looks like Atlanta Concert is a vinyl reissue and Chicago Octet/Tentet is CD.

https://catalyticsound.com/shop/peter-brotzmann-fred-hopkins-hamid-drake-the-atlanta-concert-lp/

https://catalyticsound.com/shop/chicago-tentet-octettentet-2/

Man, I do not need to be looking at sites like catalytic.

Wow - Die Like a Dog Quartet with the great Toshinoro Kondo: Close Up??

Is this a recording culled from the FMP retrospective box of a few years back? I didn't know this existed. I thought there were only 4 DLAD quartet dates with Kondo.

Close Up was part of that box, yes.

Thanks, Clifford

I only picked up a few individual CDs from that box - I think a Globe Unity and the Schlippenbach Live @ Quartier Latin with Kowald, Parker & Lovens.

I missed the DLAD CD. I wonder if it compares favorably with the great Little Birds Have Fast Hearts 2 volumes....

No, Catalytic and Okka are separate entities, although there is a lot of crossover among the artists. Catalytic is owned and operated by the artists listed on the site (Vandermark, Brotzmann, et al). Okka is a separate label, different owner. I suppose you can order from either, depending on your preference and availability of items.

Let me add/clarify just a bit more:

Okka sells only Okka label products, which include Vandermark, Brotzmann, et al.

Catalytic sells releases by the artists involved, some on Okka, others on various labels like NoBusiness, SMJZ, etc. So its artist-centric, not label-centric.

So if it is on Okka, you can probably compare sites. If it is not on Okka label, it will likely be on Catalytic. Catalytic also carries some tough to fin items.

I hear what Colinmc is saying, and that is certainly important, but sales at Catalytic help those musicians continue to get some revenue and thus continue to make music. Just wanted to throw that in.

Sorry for the labored explanation.

(FWIW Okka is cheaper and ships lightning quick)

Big fan of Okka's service here too. In my experience, over many purchases an years, it ships transatlantic very reasonably and speedily which may be a factor for erwbol.

I'd've thought that the European label releases found on Catalytic may be available at comparable cost to a European buyer nearer to home once you've factored in the shipping. Obviously Catalytic is a great source of the US labels they feature.

used Catalytic Sound just the once and that was Ok if a bit slow

I interviewed Kent years ago for All About Jazz. I am not sure if it's still up (that site SUCKS) but I may re-edit and re-publish it at some point. Fascinating character. Still have about 2 hours of tape from that although not all of it was pertinent (talking about women, etc.).

The String Trio was I think his most recent active ensemble, by the way. Unless I've missed something in the last 6-7 years.

Ah I see that Summer 2009 set - looks like an outgrowth of the String Trio. Will have to seek it out.

Would love to read that interview. Definitely an underrepresented talent. Agreed about the site now as well.

If you've already received the latest Catalytic Sound email, you'll know that some cool reissues are out:

ChicagoTentet_Octet_Tentet.jpgBrotzmannAtlanta.jpeg

Long OP 3 disk set now available again. Definitely grab this Atlanta Brotzmann.

DKVBaraka.jpeg

DKV - BARAKA.

No fair! The only reason I bought those in the first place was the guarantee that they were "Limited Edition". Who would actually listen to that stuff? I've heard that DKV was recorded in Kenya. :g

Edited by Paradiddle

Thanks, Clifford

I only picked up a few individual CDs from that box - I think a Globe Unity and the Schlippenbach Live @ Quartier Latin with Kowald, Parker & Lovens.

I missed the DLAD CD. I wonder if it compares favorably with the great Little Birds Have Fast Hearts 2 volumes....

Don;t forget the DLAD with Roy Campbell on Eremite.

Baraka was never limited edition as far as I understood. The limited edition DKV disc was the live one from the same time frame - a disc I recently bought used for $20. I like it more than Baraka. Rougher than Baraka and it sure takes a while to get going but well worth hearing and owning from my perspective.

(FWIW Okka is cheaper and ships lightning quick)

Big fan of Okka's service here too. In my experience, over many purchases an years, it ships transatlantic very reasonably and speedily which may be a factor for erwbol.

I'd've thought that the European label releases found on Catalytic may be available at comparable cost to a European buyer nearer to home once you've factored in the shipping. Obviously Catalytic is a great source of the US labels they feature.

used Catalytic Sound just the once and that was Ok if a bit slow

Agreed, on both accounts. Although, in defense of CS, I was waiting for a week to hear back from Steve Marquette recently, who runs the site, and was getting antsy. When he finally got back he explained he was on tour with KV. So, no excuse but definitely a co-op operation with everyone wearing many hats.

Baraka was never limited edition as far as I understood. The limited edition DKV disc was the live one from the same time frame - a disc I recently bought used for $20. I like it more than Baraka. Rougher than Baraka and it sure takes a while to get going but well worth hearing and owning from my perspective.

Correct, it was not a "numered limited edition" but those Okka mini-lp's did not last forever and were very nice productions IMO. I was talking specifically about the two Brotz releases.

This is weird, if I respond to a post and post it, then respond to another it tacks it onto the previous post. Is that always the case? Apologies for any confusing amalgam of responses.

Thanks, Clifford

Nice one - the 10 minute encore section is stunning but the main portion of the recording doesn't touch the band with Kondo. Campbell is/was a fine energetic trumpeter but Toshinoro Kondo on those 2 discs is a genius level improvisor.

Thanks, Clifford

Nice one - the 10 minute encore section is stunning but the main portion of the recording doesn't touch the band with Kondo. Campbell is/was a fine energetic trumpeter but Toshinoro Kondo on those 2 discs is a genius level improvisor.

Yup, have you checked him out with the "Hairy Bones" project?

Thanks, Clifford

Don;t forget the DLAD with Roy Campbell on Eremite. Nice one - the 10 minute encore section is stunning but the main portion of the recording doesn't touch the band with Kondo. Campbell is/was a fine energetic trumpeter but Toshinoro Kondo on those 2 discs is a genius level improvisor.

I think that is the band with PNL, isn't it?

No I havn't heard them. I am still working my way through coming to grips with the Long Story Short box. The large band without the charts is still a challenge for this listener and I miss Drake in the chair next to Michael Zerang. Fwiw, I love the long side with Laswell, Ghania (sp?) and Drake. Almost worth the $75 I paid for the box set.

Thanks, Clifford

Don;t forget the DLAD with Roy Campbell on Eremite. Nice one - the 10 minute encore section is stunning but the main portion of the recording doesn't touch the band with Kondo. Campbell is/was a fine energetic trumpeter but Toshinoro Kondo on those 2 discs is a genius level improvisor.

I think that is the band with PNL, isn't it?

No I havn't heard them. I am still working my way through coming to grips with the Long Story Short box. The large band without the charts is still a challenge for this listener and I miss Drake in the chair next to Michael Zerang. Fwiw, I love the long side with Laswell, Ghania (sp?) and Drake. Almost worth the $75 I paid for the box set.

That's the one, worth checking out when you get a chance. And....you're talking to a Hamid acolyte, so right on! I love that Ghania track as well, and the Nasheet Waits trio is a nice one, hell the entire box is good and made my "Best Of 2013".

Speaking of Okka, mini lp's and Brotzmann/Ghania/Drake:

The-WELS-Concert.jpg

Hairy Bones @ Vortex. Sat front row, feet from Kondo's trumpet bell. Ears rang for days afterwards. They are LOUD. Next time I'm off towards the back where it won't hurt quite so much :)

back to those Okka reissues - anyone care to tell me how essential the Brotzmann Atlanta LP is?

Edited by mjazzg

The best "audiophile" upgrade I ever made for under $200 was to go to my Audiologist and get custom musicians earplugs made by Westone/Etymotic Research based on impressions they take of your ear and canal. I've got 10 and 20 db filters and a "full block" filter for those Wolf Eyes/Braxton concerts. They are comfortable and completely linear in their level reduction so you don't have to sacrifice sound quality. Highly recommended!

RE: Atlanta, it's Fred Hopkins, recorded just months before his death. That alone makes it essential, IMO of course. I've got #094 of the first pressing. The graphics are cool and the vinyl is heavy but mine took two runs through the RCM, it was a mess. Hopefully the pressing quality is better now.

Edited by Paradiddle