Favorite Uptown Releases

Tom 1960

At present I own a few releases from this label. One's that immediately spring to mind are Charlie Parker in Boston, Charlie and Dizzy at Town Hall, Charlie Rouse/Red Rodney Social Call, Philly Joe Jones Dameronia, Doin' The Gigi by Gigi Gryce, Hank Mobley Newark 1953 and An Uptown Christmas. What are some other releases by this label you would recommend exploring?

Uptown is one of those rare labels whose releases are ALL worth investigating. Not a bad one in their lot.

Beside those mentioned, I am a great fan of the Jimmy Gourley, Carl Fontana (both), Don Joseph, Sonny Clark, Lucky Thompson, Kenny Dorham 'Flamboyan', Pepper Adams (both).

To make it simple, I recommend all Uptowns.

The one Uptown release that impressed me most was the FIRST I ever bought:

SERGE CHALOFF!

What impressed me most about it at the time (of course this is a standard set by all the Uptown releases) is the ability of this label to REALLY fill gaps in discographies, its extremely thorough liner notes, and of course the music (which in this case struck even more of a chord with me because it was something way off the modern jazz reissue/resurrection rut of the umpteenth hard bop item ;)).

I am very, very satisfied with all the other Uptowns I have since bought, but my favorite ones are those by Dodo Marmarosa, Allen Eager and Sonny Clark.

Bird and Diz at Town Hall are a class by itself, the Mingus is fine (but as some tracks had been around elsewhere before it wasn't quite that much of a totally new experience), and I must admit I haven't dug deeply into the Hank Mobley CD yet.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Only a moment to answer and will add a few more later

but # 1 for me is Philly Joe Jones "Look, Stop and Listen". I love that CD.

Edited to add: Every Uptown release that I own is worthy but some of my favorites include Pepper Adams, the Chet Baker in Boston, the recently re-issued Frank Wess/Johnny Coles date, Dexter Gordon's recent Ballad CD, and the above mentioned Serge Chaloff. The Don Sickler CD is good too, though I haven't heard it in a while. Oh, and the Carl Fontana , as well.

Edited by John Tapscott

The Mingus is a classic reissue - done perfectly. Chuck did some yeoman work helping to compile this one.

Relistened to the Allen Eager recently and enjoyed it a lot.

The Don Joseph is a fine LP. I believe it may be reissued on CD at some point

All of these are the sort of things that other companies rarely or never do and don't do as well.

The Don Joseph is a fine LP. I believe it may be reissued on CD at some point.

I checked with Bob Sunenblick a year or two ago, and he does plan on reissuing the Don Joseph LP. :tup

One of my favorite Uptown albums is Charlie Parker's Montreal 1953. It was recorded around the same time as Bird's The Washington Concerts. It's great to hear Bird in fine form with a young Paul Bley, the obscure Valdo Williams and the even more obscure Steep Wade. Apparently, there's a book documenting Bird's visit to Montreal, which could make for an interesting read.

The Don Joseph is a fine LP. I believe it may be reissued on CD at some point.

I checked with Bob Sunenblick a year or two ago, and he does plan on reissuing the Don Joseph LP. :tup

One of my favorite Uptown albums is Charlie Parker's Montreal 1953. It was recorded around the same time as Bird's The Washington Concerts. It's great to hear Bird in fine form with a young Paul Bley, the obscure Valdo Williams and the even more obscure Steep Wade. Apparently, there's a book documenting Bird's visit to Montreal, which could make for an interesting read.

Glad to hear that! I saw the Parker date on Amazon and was very curious if it was worth the purchase.