Copyright Police

Peter

I've been member of this forum pretty much since the beginning. Over the past 10 years or so I’ve found this forum to be both informative and entertaining.

However, for a long time now I have found what I believe to be the over zealousness of posters I call the “copyright police” to be frequently irritating. I've had more than one post edited by them. And I recall a thread about Fresh Sounds in which the original poster requested that posters refrain from discussing copyright issues in his thread since they’d been raised in connect that that label in many other threads. But the “copyright police” could not resist and co-opted the thread.

Copyright is a valid concern, but I think the “copyright police” are a bit over the top. I wonder if others feel the same way? And, have the “copyright police” contributed to the gradual decline in posting to the site?

Edited by Peter

i know what you mean, in the beginning i found it annoying as . that freshsound cds couldn't be linked to anymore while loads of more stupid aspects of our existence had there place. now i tend to find it kind of cute and have accepted this forum as a place where freshsound maybe mentioned but not linked to. i doubt it has anything to do with the "decline" of this forum (i know what you mean), many many things have been discussed already plus there's facebook (not for me)

I accept the cautiousness that's been exhibited on the board over the past year because as I understand it, the goal has been to protect our hosts, i.e., Jim and the "O" band. At times, some have dismissed the potential risks they might face as highly unlikely or minor at worst. One never knows, however, and this kind of argument strikes me as being rather selfish and disrespectful. I have no problem asking certain questions or sharing some types of information to other members privately, especially if it helps preserve the board's integrity. It's just good citizenship, imo.

I have no issues with the moderators approach to discussing "grey market" material.

In regards to the decline of the board one thing that does bother me is us older users shooting down newer people when they start a new thread on a previously"much-discussed" topic. Someone joins, starts a thread on Miles Davis or something and immediately gets scolded for not using the search function and dredging up an old thread, which sometimes hasn't been updated for years. It's really not enjoyable to join a board and be forced to dig through 45 pages of a previous discussion before making an "informed post". Many of the other message boards I post on archive old threads that haven't been updated for a year, because even though there is valuable information there...it's a dead discussion. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to let the new users start a topic anew and get the current views of our users instead...I know my views change over the years, so something I wrote 7 years ago may no longer reflect how I feel on the topic.

Just a thought.

Hey, that thread was mine ... I can relate to your points, but as with Niko, I can accept this policy by now without being too annoyed (but not without making some remarks every now and then).

It took a while, but I think actually we've even had some interesting discussions on sense and nonsense of copyrights as exerted in different kingdoms (the one of Macca and Jimmy Cliff's, for instance, also know as the US of A). Guess it's best to take it all with humour and just not post too many links ;)

As was said many times before discussing bootlegs and copyright issues is NOT against forum rules; the only thing that's not allowed is posting links to bootlegs. I really don't see how that can be a cause for a decline of this board.

Edited by J.A.W.