New Pops on the way

Jeff, the Carnegie Hall concert from February 1947 with Louis and Edmond Hall's sextet has been issued, usually as "1947 Carnegie Hall Concert" (we sell a copy of it on the Ambassador label) so perhaps that's what you're thinking of. Jos Willems's "All of Me" discography lists no known issues. Again, I had a copy and leaked a few tracks over the years on my blog...perhaps someone scooped the audio up and passed something around, but the concert is more or less unknown. Regardless, it'll be more known in just a few months, haha.

Ricky

Manfred Selchow's "Profoundly Blue", a bio-discographical scrapbook of Edmond Hall (my favourite clarinetist) (well, some days it's PeeWee), reproduced a Down Beat article for the 1947/02/08 event. it reports that "Louis, supported by Ed Hall's six piece band, and his own large group for the last quarter of the show, turned out 25 pieces of jazz to lusty applause from NY critics and a three-quarters house."

The book indicates that as many as 13 tracks have been released, on lots of different labels, even on V-Disc. A cursory glance indicates the recordings come from the first half of the concert, if the event's programme can be believed.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oops, I see the confusion in my post and apologize. Everyone is getting hung up on the Carnegie Hall stuff; yes, the February concert has been available for decades (you can come to Corona and buy it at the Armstrong House). I meant to specify that the November 15, 1947 Carnegie Hall concert with the All Stars has never been issues in any form. That's a fact. 90 minutes of this one will be on the Mosaid; nothing from the February concert with Hall will be on the set. Hope that clears up the confusion!

Ricky

Yeah, what Chuck said!

20 tracks available on Volume 12 of the fremeaux series. Disk 2/17 to Disk3/13

14 with Edmund Hall and 6 with the big band

http://www.fremeaux.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=64&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1442&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=0

Oops, I see the confusion in my post and apologize. Everyone is getting hung up on the Carnegie Hall stuff; yes, the February concert has been available for decades (you can come to Corona and buy it at the Armstrong House). I meant to specify that the November 15, 1947 Carnegie Hall concert with the All Stars has never been issues in any form. That's a fact. 90 minutes of this one will be on the Mosaid; nothing from the February concert with Hall will be on the set. Hope that clears up the confusion!

Ricky

Yeah, what Chuck said!

Sorry, my post wasn't very clear either. I knew you were talking about the November concert.

I was just pointing out that there were more than 13 tracks available of the February date.

Looking forward to this. Many thanks for all your work.

Hi! Yes, it should definitely be out by Christmas. In fact, Scott has told me that in a perfect world, with everything going smoothly, it could be ready by August or the early fall. But don't quote me on that; I'm still writing liner notes, Andreas Meyer still has some sound work, we have to pick photos, print em up, etc. But I think Christmas is a safe bet. I'll keep everyone posted...thanks for your interest!

Ricky

• 6 months later...

Thanks, Lon, for bumping this up. Indeed, the set got pushed back when the Ella/Chick set got final approval over the summer. We put some solid time into the Armstrong set in the fall but Mosaic gets swamped over the holidays (a GOOD thing!) so we've taken a bit of a break, ready to hit the ground rolling in January. I do have 7 reference CDs and can attest that this will be the All Stars set to end all All Stars sets! My notes are also just about there (weighing in around 27,000 words currently) and photo selection is just about complete. Thus, February is looking good but if it dips into March, don't say I didn't warn you. Oh, and for the vinyl-philes out there, we just got approval from Sony to do the complete 1956 and 1958 Newport Jazz Festival concerts as a separate LP set!

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, ask away or just keep checking my blog. Thanks for all the interest and happy holidays, everyone!

Yours in Pops,

Ricky Riccardi

dippermouth.blogspot.com

From facebook:

It's finally official! Mosaic Records just got the green light tonight to go ahead with the production of a 9-CD Louis Armstrong boxed set of live Columbia and RCA recordings, 1947-1958!!! Not only will it be a dream come true for All Stars fans but it's also a big deal for me personally as I first wrote to Mosaic with the idea in 2006 and will now be writing the gigantic liner notes and co-producing the set with the great Scott Wenzel. I'll have more details when I come back down to earth, probably in the form of a blog later this week. Dreams come true indeed....

Congratulations Chuck! I haven't clicked on this thread before, and I think that that's great news!

My notes are also just about there (weighing in around 27,000 words currently) and photo selection is just about complete.

Haha, I thought you were aiming for 10,000 - 15,000 words. How does Scott feel about that?

(No complaints here though!)

Haha, can't deny it! That was the aim but in June, before the Ella/Chick set was approved, there was a rush on the Pops set and Scott said to get him the notes ASAP. In five days, I wrote 32,000 words, haha. It just came tumbling out of my head, stuff I had been thinking about for years, stuff I couldn't fit into my book, etc. And that was without hearing some of the previously unissued stuff!

Now I've heard almost everything and I got it down to 27,000 and am going through it all again this weekend. I'm happy to report Scott thinks they're "superb" but they still might get cut only because Scott said if the book is too big, the box won't close! (But I know some of Loren's were in the mid-20,000s so I have hope...)

And Caravan, I've never seen that pic before! I'm also the Archivist for the Louis Armstrong House Museum and we have about 15,000 pics of Pops but that's a new one. Thanks for sharing it!

And thanks all for the enthusiasm about the set! I'll post more details as I get them.

Yours in Pops,

Ricky

Edited by Ricko