Todays Be/Hardbop Trumpeters

mrjazzman

Roy Hargrove is certainly someone who can move me deeply sometimes. Terrence Blanchard too. I enjoy hearing Peter Evans as well. Who is actually most extending the grand tradition from Pops to Woody? It is hard to say. I look forward to others' responses.

I've liked some Hargrove -- he has spunk and energy -- but have problems with his (at times) nanny-goat tone and the way some his lines kind of wander or peter out. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a "young lions" (so to speak) trumpet player who knocks me out, though I've heard a fair amount of OK or better work from Blanchard, Roney (though they both have an "under glass dome" quality), Nicholas Payton, Jeremy Pelt et al. OTOH, they all so far seem to be more or less diminished offshoots of their various models. More impressive and above all individual are IMO Russ Johnson, cornetist Josh Berman, and in a more abstract vein Jacob Wick. In that vein, too, Evans can be stunning, but he also, the one time I heard him in person, kind of wore me out after a while -- a bit too "samey." Also, don't forget our sometime Organissimo mate, the lyrical Phil Grenadier. Alex Sipiagin has his moments. Have been impressed in the past by Scott Wendholt but haven't heard anything by him in a good while. No doubt I'm forgetting a lot of players, but it's less than an hour since I woke up.

Add Ralph Alessi to the list.

on a couple of occasions that I've seen him live with my wife, my wife thinks he's terrific....I thought he was especially good in Tony Malaby's Reading band that featured the *great* Billy Drummond. Very easy on the ears as he nevers wears on the ears and yet his playing is filled with lyrical inventive ideas.

Personally, I like Terrance Blanchard the best of the lot mentioned above, Roy Hargrove second best, but in Hargrove's case the live performances I've heard are better than his recordings (Earfood and Nothing Serious are his best).

Josh Evans is a promising youngster (he's on the Tyler Michell and Dezron Douglas Live at Smalls releases--both recordings are quite good).

Also, Ambrose Akinmusire.

I think Billy Drummond is one of the great ones - one of the few drummers I really like that seems to move seamlessly into the forms of modern music that I am most interested in (from time to time) from more traditional more swinging type music, and that night was an especially good night, I think for specifically Drummond and Alessi.

Tony was quite inconsistent that night, especially during the seocnd set when they played one long, long Bechet tunes that i think Malaby got carried away with incorparating a few too many modern or avantish elements into the traditional composition.

Is he a bebop musician? Are Russ Johnson and Peter Evans? And was Woody? What's the idea of this "lineage", isn't a lineage implicitly or explicitly assuming development and hence a movement away from bebop? I don't quite get what's on the table here.

But Lester Bowie needs to be mentioned, I definitely know that!

Alex Sipiagin is playing very well these days, although I don't know of any record that's caught the true fullness of his tone.

Almost went to see him in Jeff Watts big band on Saturday but alas I saw Tony Malaby again.... Next time.....

Now you, sir, must start work on trying to catch others and not just Malaby again and again :D

Another good trumpeter who plays post boppish stuff is Eric Boeren with Available Jelly and other Dutch ensembles. Magnus Broo is another fine youngish powerful trumpeter who is exciting to these ears

Is he a bebop musician? Are Russ Johnson and Peter Evans? And was Woody? What's the idea of this "lineage", isn't a lineage implicitly or explicitly assuming development and hence a movement away from bebop? I don't quite get what's on the table here.

But Lester Bowie needs to be mentioned, I definitely know that!

Alex Sipiagin is playing very well these days, although I don't know of any record that's caught the true fullness of his tone.

Almost went to see him in Jeff Watts big band on Saturday but alas I saw Tony Malaby again.... Next time.....

Now you, sir, must start work on trying to catch others and not just Malaby again and again :D

Next show for me in NYC will be probably more mainstreamish as I promised my wife a show at The Jazz Standard or the Vanguard.

Then again it's gonna be hard to miss Malaby with William Parker and Nasheet Waits on 7/31 but I am missing it.....

Plus I'm gonna miss a great show next Sunday at The Stone as I refuse to withstand the heat despite it looking like one of the best shows of the year...

Hard for me to miss Hemingway, Rojas, Eskelin, Malaby ( yes him again), Michael Moore and Ray Anderson. Gonna be great but unless it drops to under 70 degrees, I doubt I go.

I especially like Terell Stafford and Joe Magnarelli as Hard Bop trumpet players.

Some others are John Swana, Brian Lynch and Jim Rotondi.

Also don't forget Tom Harrell.

Roy Hargrove can be very good, though at times the musical direction that he picks does not appeal to me.

Neither Roney or Blanchard would be among my favorites.

Maybe I looked through this too quickly, but has anyone mentioned Dave Douglas? While he is often considered adventurous--and he certainly comes up with many diverse projects--his roots in tradition (in trumpet and in jazz generally) are very strong.

I like what I've heard of Ralph Alessi; should check out his work more.

I liked the playing by Duane Eubanks on his brother Kevin's recent album.

Edited by Milestones

IMO, Kisor and Gisbert are rather faceless as soloists -- technically assured, stalwart big-band section guys who can nicely fill a solo role within a story-telling chart that's built around them (as Gisbert does, for example, on Anita Brown's "The Lighthouse" from her fine album "23 East") but who are again rather faceless IMO when they're leaders or sidemen in a "blowing" framework. Just don't hear much individual personality from either of them. They strike me as latter-day versions of, say, Nick Travis, and Travis actually did have his own thing pretty much.

on a couple of occasions that I've seen him live with my wife, my wife thinks he's terrific....I thought he was especially good in Tony Malaby's Reading band that featured the *great* Billy Drummond. Very easy on the ears as he nevers wears on the ears and yet his playing is filled with lyrical inventive ideas.

He is a good one. Really like his work with Uri Caine.

He is a good one. Really like his work with Uri Caine.

Yes, I really like Alessi as well. I understand he has a CD coming out on ECM sometime this fall. (Cue horrified reaction from Stevie Rey!)