Joe Wilder (1922-2014)

Fer Urbina

WKCR will be doing their thing tomorrow.

Join us at WKCR as we honor the life and music of Joe Wilder, who passed away on Friday at the age of 92. On Monday from 2:00 am to 9:00 pm we will be preempting all regularly scheduled programming to celebrate his contributions to the world of music. Well known for his trumpet playing in the orchestras of Lionel Hampton, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, and others, Wilder enjoyed a long career as a versatile musician not only in jazz but in classical music and Broadway musicals as well. During World War II, he was one of the first thousand African Americans to serve in the Marines, and he went on to become Assistant Bandmaster at the headquarters’ band. After that, he played in the orchestras of Jimmie Lunceford, Herbie Fields, Lucky Millinder, and Dizzy Gillespie. A highly sought-after sideman for decades, Wilder also performed regularly with musicians such as Hank Jones, Gil Evans, and Billie Holiday. In 1953, he earned a bachelor of music degree from the Manhattan School of Music where he studied classical trumpet, and in the following years he fulfilled his life-long dream of performing classical music, playing with the New York Philharmonic and the Symphony Of The New World. In 2008 he was awarded the National Endowment for the Arts’ Jazz Masters Award—the highest honor in jazz that the United States bestows upon jazz musicians. Tune in tomorrow as we pay tribute to the man who gave us so much.

KCR played his entire output as a leader yesterday, which was unusual in the respect that there were a few LPs recorded in the late 50s, and then nothing until 1992.

As usual, all his recordings featured his beautiful sound, flawless technique and imaginative, melodic ideas.

The 50s recordings featured some stunning work by the always great Hank Jones, and a rare jazz appearance by the guitarist Al Casamente.

Did he also make one leader date with James Chirillo on guitar? I seem to recall them playing Love me Tender as a duet.

Over the weekend I happened to find an original LP copy of "Top Brass," a Savoy date featuring 5(!) trumpeters -- Wilder, Ernie Royal, Donald Byrd, Ray Copeland and Idrees Sulieman. The rhythm section is the Savoy house trio of Hank Jones, Wendell Marshall and Kenny Clarke. Ernie Wilkins wrote the charts. November 1955. A fascinating date, and even though the solo space is shared, Wilder sounds great, especially on a ballad medley. Also fascinating to compare all of those guys at that particular point in their careers and that particular point in jazz history.

Did he also make one leader date with James Chirillo on guitar? I seem to recall them playing Love me Tender as a duet.

No Greater Love : Joe Wilder (tp,flhrn) Seldon Powell (ts,fl-1) Bobby Tucker (p) James Chirillo (g) Milt Hinton (b) Sherman Ferguson (d)
New York, August 3 & 4, 1993
Come on home Evening Star ES-103 [CD]
There is no greater love (jw,bt,jc only) -
Day dream (jw,bt duet) -
It's easy to remember -
Love me tender (jw,jc duet) -
I've grown accustomed to her face (jw,bt,jc only) -
Samba de Orfeu -
That's all (jw,bt duet) -
Harry Lulu -
Prelude to a kiss (jw,bt,jc only) -
The courtship (1) -
God bless the child (jw,bt duet) -
Thinking of lady -
Dylan (jw,jc duet) -
Edited by mikeweil

For some reason, I'm impressed by the following (even though I'm not a jacket & tie guy):

In the notes for Alone With Just My Dreams, drummer Sherman Ferguson, after remarking what a pleasure it was to record with Joe Wilder, said: "And he never took off his jacket and tie!" Sure enough, in the booklet, there's a photo from one of the sessions, recorded August 6 & 7, 1991, when it had to be hot in NYC. All of the musicians are in short sleeves, except for Mr. Wilder, looking natty and cool in jacket and tie.

Today, I listened to Johnny Hartman's Once In Every Life, which was recorded in August, 1980 in the NYC area. Once again, in the session photographs, all of the musicians are in short sleeves, except for Mr. Wilder, in jacket and tie.

And both times, he looks completely comfortable and natural.

Edited by paul secor

No Greater Love : Joe Wilder (tp,flhrn) Seldon Powell (ts,fl-1) Bobby Tucker (p) James Chirillo (g) Milt Hinton (b) Sherman Ferguson (d)
New York, August 3 & 4, 1993
Come on home Evening Star ES-103 [CD]
There is no greater love (jw,bt,jc only) -
Day dream (jw,bt duet) -
It's easy to remember -
Love me tender (jw,jc duet) -
I've grown accustomed to her face (jw,bt,jc only) -
Samba de Orfeu -
That's all (jw,bt duet) -
Harry Lulu -
Prelude to a kiss (jw,bt,jc only) -
The courtship (1) -
God bless the child (jw,bt duet) -
Thinking of lady -
Dylan (jw,jc duet) -

Thanks!

For some reason, I'm impressed by the following (even though I'm not a jacket & tie guy):

In the notes for Alone With Just My Dreams, drummer Sherman Ferguson, after remarking what a pleasure it was to record with Joe Wilder, said: "And he never took off his jacket and tie!" Sure enough, in the booklet, there's a photo from one of the sessions, recorded August 6 & 7, 1991, when it had to be hot in NYC. All of the musicians are in short sleeves, except for Mr. Wilder, looking natty and cool in jacket and tie.

Today, I listened to Johnny Hartman's Once In Every Life, which was recorded in August, 1980 in the NYC area. Once again, in the session photographs, all of the musicians are in short sleeves, except for Mr. Wilder, in jacket and tie.

A fellow musician quipped that Joe has a tie on his pajamas.

A fellow musician quipped that Joe has a tie on his pajamas.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Consider enjoying "Peter the Great" by Pete Brown featuring Joe Wilder on trumpet. It is available on the Verse reissues out of Japan. The album was made nearly sixty years ago, very pretty music.

Can't seem to find this. Do you have a link, Baker?

• 3 weeks later...

Such a beautiful sound, indeed! And a gorgeous sampler by Fresh Sound.

Discovered Wilder late but will cherish his music.

Love his version of Cherokee, elegant, old-fashioned yet classic style,

Love the fact that Hank Jones and Kenny Clark are on board and the color of a guitar on the latter set with Pete Brown.

A precious CD and a nice way to honor this great trumpeteer!.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...