Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrjazzman

Roy Hargrove

64 posts in this topic

I saw him when he was touring with Crisol to promote Habana. The show almost didn't happen as several people in the local expat Cuban community got pissed off and pressured the promoters to back out, as detailed here:

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/the-insider-6570802

I don't recall how it ultimately got resolved, but the show did indeed go on eventually, and was sublime and magnificent. 

RIP

The first time I heard him was at a Freddie Hubbard engagement, when he was still in high school. Freddie was in top technical form that night, playing as the sole horn with an ace rhythm section (I don't recall but it likely included some or all of Larry Willis, Idris Muhammad and Walter Booker). Towards the end of the second set, Freddie, sounding reluctant, announced that the club had asked him to let a local player sit in with him, which proved to be Roy Hargrove. When asked what song, Roy called a Kenny Dorham tune, It was rather amazing how well he played, and you could see that Freddie Hubbard was impressed.

Another concert that stands out was at the Jazz Gallery, where he was paired in a dual trumpet front line with Marcus Belgrave, for an exceptional concert.

Saw Oct 13 2001 

Roy Hargrove Trumpet 

Michael Brecker Sax

Herbie Hancock Piano 

John Patitucci Bass

Brian Blade Drums

SO THIS IS WHAT IS FEELS LIKE.  THIS IS WHAT IS FEELS LIKE AND I NEVER WANTED TO EXPERIENCE THIS.  this is what its like when a jazz hero dies before his time.  I cant believe he is now trumpet legend like clifford brown and not trumpet reality.  Saw him one time, c. 2002. and i recall i was extra stoked for larry wills on piano

•  

13 hours ago, Soulstation1 said:

How in the world can anyone tell someone what they can and can not post about??

???

Where did this happen? 

23 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Jim, I’ve really grown to respect you over the years. Your thoughtfulness, insight, oddball musings, left field philosophy, all of it. 

And I hope you take this as sincerely and respectfully as I mean it to be. 

I work in substance abuse. Please do not speak any further on the subject. 

42 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

???

Where did this happen? 

It was a plea, hence the word “please”. It wasn’t a command. Nobody has that kind of power. 

This is my last post in this thread. This is not the place for such petty meta posting. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

I’d harken back to Paul’s post about a time and a place. I certainly didn’t see Scott’s post as an attempt to cut off debate. 

9 hours ago, Soulstation1 said:

Saw Oct 13 2001 

Roy Hargrove Trumpet 

Michael Brecker Sax

Herbie Hancock Piano 

John Patitucci Bass

Brian Blade Drums

MI0002103138.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Oct. 25, 2001 Massey Hall. I was there. 

12 hours ago, kh1958 said:

The first time I heard him was at a Freddie Hubbard engagement, when he was still in high school. Freddie was in top technical form that night, playing as the sole horn with an ace rhythm section (I don't recall but it likely included some or all of Larry Willis, Idris Muhammad and Walter Booker). Towards the end of the second set, Freddie, sounding reluctant, announced that the club had asked him to let a local player sit in with him, which proved to be Roy Hargrove. When asked what song, Roy called a Kenny Dorham tune, It was rather amazing how well he played, and you could see that Freddie Hubbard was impressed.

Another concert that stands out was at the Jazz Gallery, where he was paired in a dual trumpet front line with Marcus Belgrave, for an exceptional concert.

Do you recall when that concert with Marcus took, place?

Is there anything sadder than a mother having to bury her child? :(

Just saw this, as well as a mention in the Washington Post.  Much too young.  RIP.

10 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Do you recall when that concert with Marcus took, place?

That was September 11, 2005 at the Jazz Gallery, when it was located near to the site of the Half Note.