Airegin

Late

"Hate" to say it, but I like Maynard's version, just not Maynard's (collective) contribution. Talking about the Mainstream version, not the Columbia one.

I really like that band as a band. some solos were better than others, but as a band? THAT kind of a band? Hey...motherfuckers be MOVIN' that air, and you with it. You want "depth", look elsewhere. You want benevolent (the key factor right there, benevolent intent) taste-be-damned-as-needed (another key component, setting appropriate expectations relative to intent) AIR MOVING, well, there it was.

Drunk on Air Moving, Air Gin, perhaps, even if not Airegin (spell it backwards, as they used to say) and play it loud (play it VERY loud) as they also used to say.

I second Steve Reynolds' suggestion of the Grant Green recording, which can be found on The Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark album. This is available on YouTube.

Another favorite version is Mal Waldron's on his Left Alone album, but then I'm kind of a Mal whore; Mal wrings the mother out, and Julian Euell walks (make that) runs his bass off.

Edited by Buddha the Magnificent

Re: Lin Halliday. I specifically remember hearing him play "Airegin" twice, once around 1982-83 in Urbana and then a few years later at the Get Me High Lounge in Chicago. That first time he was having a (not atypical) weird night, turning his back to the audience, nervously adjusting his reed, playing a few lines, then re-adjusting all during the course of the tune in real time. Just wiggy. But I will never forget that somewhere in the middle of the solo he focused for maybe two or three choruses and what came out was like he was channeling Sonny Rollins in 1957. Not copying or aping or playing licks of whatever, but truly IMPROVISING in that language with so much authority and electricity it was, well, profound is the only word that comes to mind. At times like those the idea of "originality" gets very slippery and kinda meaningless when you're right there feeling the air move in the room.

I think Jon Hendricks sounds amazing in this version. Lambert sounds great too, but not like Jon. God DAMN. I know someone who has good ears who thinks Lambert cuts him, but I don't really think it's even close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul54NWmwLxs

Edited by Mark Stryker

It was mentioned earlier, but the 1956 Miles quintet version is just really incredible. Everyone at their best, but it's not the individuals so much as the whole band locked in as a BAND. So casual yet so fucking locked in -- the rhythm section hits behind the solos, the way PC and Philly Joe are up on the beat yet so relaxed, Miles and Trane just their bad selves. All in 4.25 minutes. A masterpiece by midnight, indeed.

Would have loved to hear Joe Henderson stretch out on "Airegin" at a medium bright clip ...

Also would have loved to hear Sonny tackle it again later in his career. I recall hearing him play "Strode Rode" in concert either in the fall of 1980 or spring of '81 -- another minor bebop tune -- and he was playing it at least as recently as 2009. But I don't think he ever resurrected "Airegin." Anyone know of evidence to the contrary?

Edited by Mark Stryker

Re: Lin Halliday. I specifically remember hearing him play "Airegin" twice, once around 1982-83 in Urbana and then a few years later at the Get Me High Lounge in Chicago. That first time he was having a (not atypical) weird night, turning his back to the audience, nervously adjusting his reed, playing a few lines, then re-adjusting all during the course of the tune in real time. Just wiggy. But I will never forget that somewhere in the middle of the solo he focused for maybe two or three choruses and what came out was like hes was channeling Sonny Rollins in 1957. Not copying or aping or playing licks of whatever, but truly IMPROVISING in that language with so much authority and electricity it was, well, profound is the only word that comes to mind. At times like those the idea of "originality" gets very slippery and kinda of meaningless when you're right there feeling the air move in the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul54NWmwLxs

I was thinking this as well. Will have to pull out the album of the same name tomorrow.

There is a rather odd duet with Hubert Laws on "Airegin," supposedly from 1986. Available on YouTube.

[/quote

Oh yeah! I forgot this existed. Sonny's solo, just shy of two full choruses, is brief but beautiful. Sounds like the inspiration was there for him to go longer, but this was surely an encore.

Edited by Mark Stryker