Upcoming Impulse! reissues from Japan

Head Man

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on topic:

Listening again to the latest reissue of Meditations (UCCI 9248), and I have to say this disc sounds amazing. You can turn it up LOUD, and there's little distortion. The first track is very, very busy, and yet the instruments are distinct. Coltrane's bass clarinet playing (what little there is) actually comes through much clearer than on the edition I previously owned. And Pharaoh — sheez. I'm not always in the mood for this album, but when I am ... pure energy.

If you like this album already, find a way to hear this edition. It's affordable, and it contains the SHM-CD remastering.

I've listened to Club Date, Meditations, First Meditations, Living Space, Jupiter Variations, Vista, Three for Shepp, Point of Departture, Gypsy '66, Spellbinder, Karma. . . all sound very good and are far from "loud."

Edited by jazzbo

Hello,

does anyboby know if the original liner notes in english are included in these upcoming Impulse reissues?

That's would be great, just as for many of the recently reissued Blue Note titles.

:Nod::Nod: :Nod:

The original liner notes in English only appear in the reproductions of the back covers.

Hello,

does anyboby know if the original liner notes in english are included in these upcoming Impulse reissues?

That's would be great, just as for many of the recently reissued Blue Note titles.

:Nod::Nod: :Nod:

The original liner notes in English only appear in the reproductions of the back covers.

Yes, that's a great shame because some of the orginal liner notes are worth reading. Sound is very good, though....

I agree - bought the Tom Scott and the McFarland. The Scott may be his best jazz album ever - very clever references to jazz composers of the day, Eddie Harris, Herbie Hancock, and Wayne Shorter - and fine sideman: Mike Lang - a very underrated pianist, Chuck Domanico, and John Guerin. IMHO, an overlooked gem.

4988005886453.jpg

I agree - bought the Tom Scott and the McFarland. The Scott may be his best jazz album ever - very clever references to jazz composers of the day, Eddie Harris, Herbie Hancock, and Wayne Shorter - and fine sideman: Mike Lang - a very underrated pianist, Chuck Domanico, and John Guerin. IMHO, an overlooked gem.

4988005886453.jpg

You've heard the Paint Your Wagon album on Flying Dutchman? Domanico & Guerin, but with Roger Kellaway instead, bringing the Kellaway eccentriics.

UFLD_FDS114__65539__12302009112807-7740.

You can indeed judge a book by it's cover, but it might not necessarily sound like it in the process.

Just decided I will order Marion Brown's Vista, too ...

That's a very good decision. Beautiful album, and quite unlike anything else in Brown's discography that I'm aware of, certainly quite different from his other Impulse albums (which are all wonderful, but four very different albums).

That's a very good decision. Beautiful album, and quite unlike anything else in Brown's discography that I'm aware of, certainly quite different from his other Impulse albums (which are all wonderful, but four very different albums).

Ah, hell! Let's all order Vista! ... and Meditations. ;)

You've heard the Paint Your Wagon album on Flying Dutchman? Domanico & Guerin, but with Roger Kellaway instead, bringing the Kellaway eccentrics.

You can indeed judge a book by it's cover, but it might not necessarily sound like it in the process.

Yes I have that one, too - a very good album, IMO, perhaps more interesting from a certain point of view - how does he treat that material. His playing is very exuberant her. What puts Rural Still Life on top of my list is the added treat of Scott's own tunes, and his references to the current scene.

Ah, hell! Let's all order Vista! ... and Meditations. ;)

Works for me (and works for Impulse).

You've heard the Paint Your Wagon album on Flying Dutchman? Domanico & Guerin, but with Roger Kellaway instead, bringing the Kellaway eccentrics.

Yes I have that one, too - a very good album, IMO, perhaps more interesting from a certain point of view - how does he treat that material. His playing is very exuberant her. What puts Rural Still Life on top of my list is the added treat of Scott's own tunes, and his references to the current scene.

Cool! It's a pretty obscure record. Wasn't sure if you had heard it, and if you like one, you should like the other, that kind of thing. I think most people aren't really aware of either of them, to be honest.

I think most people aren't really aware of either of them, to be honest.

I'm afraid that's true. There is another one with tunes from Hair that I sold at one point - not as consistently good as his takes on Paint Your Wagon. The cover of the latter ... well, Scott grew up in a Hollywood environment.

Edited by mikeweil

Yeah, the respect I've had for Scott is his un-self-consciousness about the whole "jazz is just one of the things I do" thing...seems like he never felt guilty about it or needed to prove anything other than that he was a talented, very well-rounded multi-skilled musician and that jazz was always gonna be just one of the things that he did. What it lacks for in "art" it makes up for in honesty and self-realization.

I'm also of the belief that Tom Cat was an artistic statement on its own merits, if by artistic statement you mean that a vision is realized with full success and in full voice.That record did that, I think, and if it's not a jazz favorite, hey, remember, jazz was always just one of the things that Tom Scott was gonna do.

In his notes to Rural Still Life he already refers to his identity problem as a studio musician, producers asking him to sound like Bud Shank or Ernie Watts, you name it - he may have encountered the same when writing stuff for TV or films. I think he held his own pretty well under these circumstances.

Open up a Tom Scott thread and move these posts there ...