Running low / Last chance

Alfred

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only wish next Friday could be today! (pay day)

I feel your pain!

Wesbed, if all us broke-types are getting paid this Friday, you might want to make up your mind by Thursday...

Thanks for the warning, man! :D

I can afford to order today if I so choose. Yes, maybe I should take your advice and place my order before payday Friday.

You've given me yet another reason to place my order for the Tristano box.

Edited by wesbed

I'm still trying to push myself over the edge, jump in, and purchase the Tristano/Konitz box. I find it difficult to purchase a Mosaic box that has too many alternate takes. The Tristano set, however, looks to have very few (if any) alternate takes.

Yes, yes... more ammunition to motivate me to purchase the box before it falls from the Mosaic site. B)

Hey, Wesbed, Larry Kart wrote the liner notes for the Tristano box--you might ask him if you have any remaining doubts. Just trying to give you that last, little helpful nudge. ^_^

not sure if this helps wesbed but, of the twenty or so Mosaic sets I rate the Tristano/Marsh & Konitz right at  the top of the ones I own.

Yes. It does help. Thanks. All the positive remarks about the Tristano box help.

What's odd is that I've read nothing negative (that I can remember) about the Tristano box. Everybody who has it seems to think it's one of the top sets offered by Mosaic.

Edited by wesbed

not sure if this helps wesbed but, of the twenty or so Mosaic sets I rate the Tristano/Marsh & Konitz right at  the top of the ones I own.

Yes. It does help. Thanks. All the positive remarks about the Tristano box help.

What's odd is that I've read nothing negative (that I can remember) about the Tristano box. Everybody who has it seems to think it's one of the top sets offered by Mosaic.

I think I already made positive remarks about that set, in this and/or other threads, but if that's what you need to pull the trigger, I'll do it again: this was my very first Mosaic set (I got around 30 of them now), and I still love it, and still consider it - here it comes again - among the best.

ubu

After weeks of indecision, I finally caved and bought both the T/K/M and Mobley sets at the same time. They arrived Monday.

I'm really enjoying both of them -- for me, the Mobley was by far the "safer" of the two, as I already have 4-5 of his recordings from the 60's. The T/K/M was much more of an unknown since I only had one Konitz CD before ordering the Mosaic.

I'm currently listening to disc IV, and I'm loving it! Some real nice, tasteful guitar comping by Billy Bauer, and of course, great playing by Konitz. Real nice, laid back swinging tunes. Sound quality also seems to be very good; most of disc IV was recorded at Van Gelder's Studio in 1956.

So, here's another big :tup for the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh! What are you waiting for?? ;):g B)

After weeks of indecision, I finally caved and bought both the T/K/M and Mobley sets at the same time. They arrived Monday.

I'm really enjoying both of them -- for me, the Mobley was by far the "safer" of the two, as I already have 4-5 of his recordings from the 60's. The T/K/M was much more of an unknown since I only had one Konitz CD before ordering the Mosaic.

I'm currently listening to disc IV, and I'm loving it! Some real nice, tasteful guitar comping by Billy Bauer, and of course, great playing by Konitz. Real nice, laid back swinging tunes. Sound quality also seems to be very good; most of disc IV was recorded at Van Gelder's Studio in 1956.

So, here's another big :tup for the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh! What are you waiting for?? ;):g B)

Can you tell me what number is your Mobley set? I don't think it is near the 7500 mark, but the licensing is near its end.

The Atlantic New Orleans set is now in the "Last chance" category!!!

I've been arguing with myself as to whether I should purchase the Tristano box. My belief is that I would enjoy the Tristano box and shouldn't let it pass me by.

Conversely, my belief is that I'd not enjoy (or, wouldn't enjoy as much) the New Orleans jazz box and that I should let it go. I hope I'm not wrong in my beliefs! :o

Well, wesbed, I have the Atlantic New Orleans box and really enjoy it. On the other hand, I was planning on passing on the Tristano box; you can't get them all, right? Unfortunately, your thread has me rethinking my decision... :wacko:

Thank goodness the slow period at work seems to be over...

One less TKM. I have all this stuff in various formats, but the chance to have it all under one roof on CD, and the chance to have Mr. Kart's truly formidable essay always at my beck and call finally got up the gumption and told my practical side to take a hike, and it did, surprisingly easy at that.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Tristano/Konitz. New Orleans Atlantic???

New Orleans Atlantic. Tristano/Konitz???

What's person to do?

Errr... just buy them all?

Yeah, that's the ticket. Yeah, yeah. I'm feeling much better now. Just BUY THEM ALL! -_- <_<:D

Edited by wesbed

Tristano/Konitz. New Orleans Atlantic???

To make matters even worse (or better), both sets were remastered by Malcolm Addey.

Son-of-a... feck, frick... :rmad:

Where's my credit card? Where are you, my precious?

Edited by wesbed

I love the NO set! It has been in the running low list for a pretty long time, and when I mailed them, in december or early january, there were around 300 left, so it should be around for at least a couple of weeks, unless you all ordered one, already (but then again, you needn't bother anymore, anyway...)

Jim, you'll like the TKM, and the liners are excellent, indeed!

And then I guess you never had ALL the music from that live concert with Konitz, Tristano, Ramey and A.T., do you? Was that all available on some LPs?

ubu

And then I guess you never had ALL the music from that live concert with Konitz, Tristano, Ramey and A.T., do you? Was that all available on some LPs?

ubu

Not sure, but besides the stuff originally on Atlantic in the 50s there was a 2-LP set of additional material out on Atlantic in the 70s (or early 80s, can't remember) that I picked up on a cutout cassette and have played some of the high frequencies off of over the years.

So an upgrade was overdue, for sure!

For those of us, including myself, who have still not decided about purchasing the New Orleans Jazz Mosaic... I found this review:

http://weeklywire.com/ww/06-08-98/gambit_perc.html

There's a lot to hear and learn in The Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions. It is a serious collection of joyful music. Each listen reveals another element, a new phrase, another solo. The music within not only is a link to our past and the foundation of the present and future, but timeless in its pleasure.

:tup

I did start my listening with disc 1, but then I have been (still am, in fact) in the swiss army band, and I was wondering what these parade bands sounded like (I hate the rigid sound and totally-soul-less and badly performed music I'm periodically forced to play myself, by the way!)

Anyone buying this set because of the New Orleans JAZZ recordings, should probably begin with discs 2 or 3. The Lewis tracks provide most of the highlights for me, but then I have only listened two times to all the music.

ubu