Bill Savory Collection, Vol. 2

jazztrain

This is a truly incredible release, a huge new chunk in fine sound from my favorite big band ever assembled, and a new installment in the early magical years of Lester Young.  The sound quality on most tracks is superb.  This release has made me VERY happy.    

Edited by John L

just downloaded the 22 titles & booklet & it looks like all my Christmases have come at once - I'm in Basie/Lestorian heaven

So many stunning LY solos & SQ amazingly good

Got to be the release of the year for me - IMHO this outdoes the Larry Young set & that was at the top of my list until just now

Just wish it had been released in CD or LP format

Having a hard time finding enough superlatives to describe this latest volume. The sound, the playing, the fluency and joy of this band, the wealth of new solos from Prez (not to mention new ones from Herschel Evans as well)... I'm on my fourth time through. (Not really an iTunes guy, though, so I burned the tracks to a cd-r and printed out the booklet.  I spend enough time in front of a computer as it is.)

Edited by ghost of miles

21 of the tracks are from "The Famous Door" while the last, "One O'Clock Jump" (much poorer SQ) is from the legendary "Randall's Island" concert.

The download liner notes claim  "there are two more selections, but the discs have deteoriated to the point of almost inaudibility".

Pity they didn't release these other two (see below) just for historical purposes & as Jan Evensmo comments, who cares about the SQ

Count Basie - Randall's Island - Evensmo Jazz Archaeology.png

Edited by romualdo

6 hours ago, romualdo said:

21 of the tracks are from "The Famous Door" while the last, "One O'Clock Jump" (much poorer SQ) is from the legendary "Randall's Island" concert.

The download liner notes claim  "there are two more selections, but the discs have deteoriated to the point of almost inaudibility".

Pity they didn't release these other two (see below) just for historical purposes & as Jan Evensmo comments, who cares about the SQ

Count Basie - Randall's Island - Evensmo Jazz Archaeology.png

Very good point.  It is not as if they had to contend with a CD-length constraint, and people who prefer not to listen to them could just program them out.

At any rate, there are other unreleased items with Lester Young in the Savory collection.  So we might hope for a "featuring Lester Young" volume 2.

4 hours ago, John L said:

Very good point.  It is not as if they had to contend with a CD-length constraint, and people who prefer not to listen to them could just program them out.

At any rate, there are other unreleased items with Lester Young in the Savory collection.  So we might hope for a "featuring Lester Young" volume 2.

That's what I'm banking on

6 hours ago, medjuck said:

Amongst other treasures, by my count there are 6 cuts with Prez on clarinet.  Until now I believe there were less than 30 extant recordings of him on the instrument so this is a substantial addition. 

noticed quite a bit of clarinet too but did Herschel also play that instrument or was it just Lester?

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

IIRC he did but I'm not sure on what.  Buddy Tate plays clarinet on Jumpin' at the Woodside. 

I agree.  Evans solos on clarinet on the original studio version of Jumpin' at the Woodside.

Lester has some nice, long clarinet solos on the two versions of Texas Shuffle.

On 12.12.2016 at 0:49 AM, John L said:

http://jazzmuseuminharlem.org/savory/     If you don't have iTunes, download it now.

Thanks John - guess I'll have to re-install that sucker of a programme then ... maybe over christmas, little energy for that kind of thing these days, but I want, I need to hear the music, obviously!

On 12/15/2016 at 1:47 AM, John L said:

Installing iTunes is free and takes a couple of minutes.  Once you download the tracks, you can immediately convert them into MP3s using iTunes and then use them in whatever other program you choose. 

Does anyone know how large a program iTunes is? The reason I ask is that on satellite internet bandwidth is restricted and I have bumped up against my monthly allotment several times due to work. If its that big I'd rather download it at mom's - where the connection is much faster to boot.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Does anyone know how large a program iTunes is? The reason I ask is that on satellite internet bandwidth is restricted and I have bumped up against my monthly allotment several times due to work. If its that big I'd rather download it at mom's - where the connection is much faster to boot.

Per this discussion:

The OS X version of iTunes 12.5.3 is 262Mb.
The 32-bit Windows version is 117Mb.
The 64-bit Windows version is 169Mb.