Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
felser

Interesting Mainstream Records reissues

118 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

 

Hope that McPherson's  Today's Man will be released on CD.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Hope that McPherson's  Today's Man will be released on CD.

 

"Today's Man" (IMO) the strongest effort by Charles McPherson on Mainstream for sure ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Definitely a "supplemental" album, but, like Iapetus (which is anything but supplemental) it does show the fallout from the Second Quintet might have been smothered by the fallout from Bitches Brew, but it was not suffocated entirely. This record could have been on Strata-East.

A pretty atypical Buddy Terry album, actually, but not necessarily a surpising one...

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Definitely a "supplemental" album, but, like Iapetus (which is anything but supplemental) it does show the fallout from the Second Quintet might have been smothered by the fallout from Bitches Brew, but it was not suffocated entirely. This record could have been on Strata-East.

A pretty atypical Buddy Terry album, actually, but not necessarily a surpising one...

You're right about this could have been on Strata-East.  In fact, it sort of was, in that the 17 minute "Baba Hengates" is on the Mtume Strata-East album ('Land of the Blacks') in an inferior version, also 17 minutes long.  The Mtume album should have been great, given the personnel, but is unbearably sloppy, clearly lacking any meaningful rehearsal.  The version on this Terry album is pretty awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, felser said:

You're right about this could have been on Strata-East.  In fact, it sort of was, in that the 17 minute "Baba Hengates" is on the Mtume Strata-East album ('Land of the Blacks') in an inferior version, also 17 minutes long.  The Mtume album should have been great, given the personnel, but is unbearably sloppy, clearly lacking any meaningful rehearsal.  The version on this Terry album is pretty awesome.

Agreed ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, soulpope said:

Agreed ....

Me too!  

Pure Dynamite may be a product of it's time -- but it's also a great record!

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Me too!  

Pure Dynamite may be a product of it's time -- but it's also a great record!

It was a wonderful musical time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, felser said:

It was a wonderful musical time.  

You'll get no argument from me on that. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ordered some more from the earlier batch ... anyone has a listing of all the reissues? Two batches so far, right? (New one on July 12, according to CDjapan)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, king ubu said:

Just ordered some more from the earlier batch ... anyone has a listing of all the reissues? Two batches so far, right? (New one on July 12, according to CDjapan)

Two batches is correct, the one already out and the  one coming in the next two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the discussion on these Mainstream releases.

I was yet to be born during this label's existence, but am enjoying the sessions I've ordered and listened to quite a bit. I have listened to the Curtis Fuller, Sonny Red, Charles McPherson, Maynard Ferguson, and one of the Blue Mitchell dates from the first batch, and am eager to continue to amass these.

Might venture into adding a sessions from a lesser known (for me) vocalist to my next order--either Alice Clark or Gloria Coleman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pace Soulpope and Peter Friedman above, McPherson's "Today's Man" is tremendous -- definitely the best of his Mainstream LPs and "Stranger in Paradise" is one of his best single performances on record -- astounding three choruses of flowing melody with Barry Harris, Lawrence Evans and Billy Higgins right on his tail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dusty Bards just replenished their Japanese Mainstream stock.  I got Harold Land - New Shade of Blue, Mike Longo - Matrix, and Charles Williams - Stickball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the time of my post (above), roughly half of the 53 Mainstreams available from the Bards have sold out. (27 of 53)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

Since the time of my post (above), roughly half of the 53 Mainstreams available from the Bards have sold out. (27 of 53)

Much lower prices at CDJapan ($8.83 vs. $13.99), so go that way if you are ordering multiple titles.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, felser said:

Much lower prices at CDJapan ($8.83 vs. $13.99), so go that way if you are ordering multiple titles.

 

Yep, CD Japan are my mainman!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently listening to The Power Of Positive Swinging. 

Roger Kellaway's solo on The King just kicks serious ass! 

Outstanding album. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 5:54 PM, Scott Dolan said:

Currently listening to The Power Of Positive Swinging. 

Roger Kellaway's solo on The King just kicks serious ass! 

Outstanding album. 

Yeah, I love ALL the Terry/Brookmeyer things. That was a great group!

 

 

gregmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna check out the Village Vangard set next. I thoroughly enjoyed what I heard the other night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.