Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
felser

Interesting Mainstream Records reissues

118 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Hope that McPherson's  Today's Man will be released on CD.

3 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Hope that McPherson's  Today's Man will be released on CD.

"Today's Man" (IMO) the strongest effort by Charles McPherson on Mainstream for sure ....

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Definitely a "supplemental" album, but, like Iapetus (which is anything but supplemental) it does show the fallout from the Second Quintet might have been smothered by the fallout from Bitches Brew, but it was not suffocated entirely. This record could have been on Strata-East.

A pretty atypical Buddy Terry album, actually, but not necessarily a surpising one...

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Definitely a "supplemental" album, but, like Iapetus (which is anything but supplemental) it does show the fallout from the Second Quintet might have been smothered by the fallout from Bitches Brew, but it was not suffocated entirely. This record could have been on Strata-East.

A pretty atypical Buddy Terry album, actually, but not necessarily a surpising one...

You're right about this could have been on Strata-East.  In fact, it sort of was, in that the 17 minute "Baba Hengates" is on the Mtume Strata-East album ('Land of the Blacks') in an inferior version, also 17 minutes long.  The Mtume album should have been great, given the personnel, but is unbearably sloppy, clearly lacking any meaningful rehearsal.  The version on this Terry album is pretty awesome.

10 hours ago, felser said:

You're right about this could have been on Strata-East.  In fact, it sort of was, in that the 17 minute "Baba Hengates" is on the Mtume Strata-East album ('Land of the Blacks') in an inferior version, also 17 minutes long.  The Mtume album should have been great, given the personnel, but is unbearably sloppy, clearly lacking any meaningful rehearsal.  The version on this Terry album is pretty awesome.

Agreed ....

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, soulpope said:

Agreed ....

Me too!  

Pure Dynamite may be a product of it's time -- but it's also a great record!

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Me too!  

Pure Dynamite may be a product of it's time -- but it's also a great record!

It was a wonderful musical time.  

1 hour ago, felser said:

It was a wonderful musical time.  

You'll get no argument from me on that. ;) 

Just ordered some more from the earlier batch ... anyone has a listing of all the reissues? Two batches so far, right? (New one on July 12, according to CDjapan)

6 hours ago, king ubu said:

Just ordered some more from the earlier batch ... anyone has a listing of all the reissues? Two batches so far, right? (New one on July 12, according to CDjapan)

Two batches is correct, the one already out and the  one coming in the next two weeks.

Thanks for all the discussion on these Mainstream releases.

I was yet to be born during this label's existence, but am enjoying the sessions I've ordered and listened to quite a bit. I have listened to the Curtis Fuller, Sonny Red, Charles McPherson, Maynard Ferguson, and one of the Blue Mitchell dates from the first batch, and am eager to continue to amass these.

Might venture into adding a sessions from a lesser known (for me) vocalist to my next order--either Alice Clark or Gloria Coleman.

Pace Soulpope and Peter Friedman above, McPherson's "Today's Man" is tremendous -- definitely the best of his Mainstream LPs and "Stranger in Paradise" is one of his best single performances on record -- astounding three choruses of flowing melody with Barry Harris, Lawrence Evans and Billy Higgins right on his tail. 

The Dusty Bards just replenished their Japanese Mainstream stock.  I got Harold Land - New Shade of Blue, Mike Longo - Matrix, and Charles Williams - Stickball.

Since the time of my post (above), roughly half of the 53 Mainstreams available from the Bards have sold out. (27 of 53)

12 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

Since the time of my post (above), roughly half of the 53 Mainstreams available from the Bards have sold out. (27 of 53)

Much lower prices at CDJapan ($8.83 vs. $13.99), so go that way if you are ordering multiple titles.

13 hours ago, felser said:

Much lower prices at CDJapan ($8.83 vs. $13.99), so go that way if you are ordering multiple titles.

Yep, CD Japan are my mainman!!

Currently listening to The Power Of Positive Swinging. 

Roger Kellaway's solo on The King just kicks serious ass! 

Outstanding album. 

On 7/17/2017 at 5:54 PM, Scott Dolan said:

Currently listening to The Power Of Positive Swinging. 

Roger Kellaway's solo on The King just kicks serious ass! 

Outstanding album. 

Yeah, I love ALL the Terry/Brookmeyer things. That was a great group!

gregmo

I'm gonna check out the Village Vangard set next. I thoroughly enjoyed what I heard the other night.