Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/25/2019 at 11:15 AM, Brad said:

I assume you mean Cleveland, Ohio. That's along way from Jersey. I assume you were there for some other reason. The thing about getting into NY from NJ is that, depending where you live, it takes forever to get into NY. If you drive, it's a zoo and the train is just a royal pain. 

I drove in the day before, but I went specifically for the Haynes show.  It was my 5th time driving to New York to see him.  :)

Now playing:

MI0000594337.jpg?opartner=allrvi.com

I picked this up for $2 last week, with the few tracks from the Ellington Mosaic being the only other Webb in my collection.  Man, this band swung hard!  

32 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Joe Henderson's best? I think so.. As it says on the obi of this SHM issue  "Jewels of the 4000 Series".

R-1046386-1366011488-9756.jpeg.jpg

It is (positively) tough to choose the "best" Joe Henderson BN (leader) date .... and some of his sideman dates are probably even stronger .... ?

22 minutes ago, BillF said:

51vVX61qpAL.jpg

Always a pleasure to hear those 1956 Prestige dates with the first great quintet. I think one of the first jazz records I ever heard was "Steamin" which was quite available during that time, but with another cover than the original one. Things like this turned me to jazz when I was a boy.....

a2123982840_10.jpg

My initial response was that between some lost Herbie Hancock BN session or Paul Bley record from the late 1960s, I'd heard the gist of all this before, and maybe that's true. But continued listening is showing some subtle compositional constructs that those earlier musics didn't really have. so,,,game on, keep listening.

I am a big fan of  Steve Kuhn's recordings on Concord, Reservoir and Venus. But there are some Kuhn sessions on other labels that were disappointing to me. I don't care for most recordings on ECM, so thought this Steve Kuhn Trio CD would not be to my taste. The first time I listened to it I had a luke warm reaction. But after playing it a couple more times I found it more and more appealing. I now like it quite a bit.   

713chkf4GML._AC_UL436_.jpg

MI0001710384.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

The Jazztet - Moment to Moment (Soul Note, 1983)
Along with regulars Art Farmer, Benny Golson, and Curtis Fuller, this edition of the Jazztet includes Mickey Tucker, Ray Drummond, and Tootie Heath. 

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Never underestimate John Hicks ....

Right on!!! :tup

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

MI0001710384.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

The Jazztet - Moment to Moment (Soul Note, 1983)
Along with regulars Art Farmer, Benny Golson, and Curtis Fuller, this edition of the Jazztet includes Mickey Tucker, Ray Drummond, and Tootie Heath. 

35647011bb.gif - I saw them live at Jazz à Vienne (France) 1983!