• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

414TV11R9AL.jpg

Ray Drummond - Vignettes (Arabesque, 1996)

with Gary Bartz, Chris Potter, Renee Rosnes, and Billy Hart

Drummond is an underrated leader.  If you don't have it, you'd dig Camera in a Bag, with Fathead Newman, Kenny Barron and Smitty Smith.

Now playing:

s-l400.jpg

Disc 1: This arrived today.  I'm hoping this set plays okay, because the first two discs I looked at were not in great shape.  If the rest of the set is half this good, I'll be glad I snapped it up for $65 (despite having only one Ory album).

I was reviewing the charts on jazzweek and noticed a name I haven't seen since 2003.  Lolly was living in MA at the time, I think a recent grad of New England Conservatory of Music.  We hired her band to play for my wedding out on Block Island, RI.  She had to bring all her gear by ferry, the morning after a hurricane.  Seas were a bit rough but the ferries starting running in time for all to arrive, some a bit queasy.   I'm thrilled to see she's still making music.  

R-14597105-1577879801-7950.jpeg.jpg  

14 hours ago, sonnymax said:

9galb01825481_large.jpg?v=d24717e9-36b0-

I think this is the first 2020 album I've heard, and very nice, too! Must keep it in mind for the "best of the year" lists in 10+ months' time. Interesting contrast between Rupert and Garzone whose primary influences sound like Getz and Coltrane, respectively, yet both sound very contemporary. Mr Rupert seems to be going places; I hadn't heard of him a few months ago, but have now heard him on three recordings recently.