Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'd avoided them until now, because I thought they were a bit Pitchfork. Stupid prejudgement to make, which will be corrected.

Terrific band whatever Pitchfork are saying. Great live too, playing London in November

8 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Yes, the mixing has really brought the presentation forward and added clarity to the instrumental separation.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more

Now spinning Now!

R-13301195-1551670365-1198.jpeg.jpg

Powerful stuff!  Music that isn't constrained by the usual boundaries and conventions of genre, an experiment that comes off beautifully.

Gene McDaniels should've received a front-cover "Featuring" credit to go along with Harold Land's.

Unrelated to the music: How about that photo of Bobby. The word that comes to mind is "baked."

Edited by HutchFan

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Spinning this one to start the day because I had to stop it fifteen minutes in yesterday to deal with family stuff and the system was shut down for the rest of the day. . . .

Bud is playing really well here.

6513c7f7cd95bf996e5bba0061f7e918d14e54a1

Bud Powell “1962 Copenhagen” new Steeplechase cd

On my "want list" too ....

R-11108454-1509993271-1135.jpeg.jpg

VERY much appreciate the "anatomy of a track" takes of "Perfect Man" (which seems to intersect with Eddie Harris somehow, somewhere, from whatever directions), plus the inclusion of "Space Probe"...which in hindsight is a prediction of the nightmare that the "real world" came to embrace and OD on basic electronic sound effects in the upcoming decade. Not that that's what he had in mind, but...all a prophet can do is predict what is going to happen, not how it will go once it does, right? :g

The actual album OG itself, it's nice, I like that a lot.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

R-11108454-1509993271-1135.jpeg.jpg

VERY much appreciate the "anatomy of a track" takes of "Perfect Man" (which seems to intersect with Eddie Harris somehow, somewhere, from whatever directions), plus the inclusion of "Space Probe"...which in hindsight is a prediction of the nightmare that the "real world" came to embrace and OD on basic electronic sound effects in the upcoming decade. Not that that's what he had in mind, but...all a prophet can do is predict what is going to happen, not how it will go once it does, right? :g

The actual album OG itself, it's nice, I like that a lot.

I have vol 2, need to get vol 1

28 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

This is back out on cd again (was out in '87 on Dragon and 2002 by the Monk Family) and sounding great!

Thelonious Monk Quartet "Live in Stockholm 1961" Dragon Records cd disc 1

R-2844132-1303732563.jpeg.jpg

love this set :tup

35 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

This is back out on cd again (was out in '87 on Dragon and 2002 by the Monk Family) and sounding great!

Maybe I missed a discussion on it, but why did Monk's estate get the rights to this recording? It was issued by 3 different labels in 1987 (Dragon, DIW & Secret) and then went out of print until Thelonious Records put it out in 2002.

Thelonious – Stockholm "Live" (2002, CD) - Discogs

8 minutes ago, bresna said:

48 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Maybe I missed a discussion on it, but why did Monk's estate get the rights to this recording? It was issued by 3 different labels in 1987 (Dragon, DIW & Secret) and then went out of print until Thelonious Records put it out in 2002.

Thelonious – Stockholm "Live" (2002, CD) - Discogs

I honestly don't have any sort of educated answer. . . I think that the Monk Family had come to the conclusion (probably erroneously) that it was an unofficial bootleg and so they just flat put it out. All their discs didn't stay in print long. In 2012 DIW reissued it again I believe.

https://www.amazon.com/Thelonious-Monk-Live-Stockholm-1961/dp/B0087CXXSY

Now playing:

John Beasley "Positootely" 

s-l600.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Outstanding "live" Monk .... btw ❤love❤ the Ore + Dunlop tandem ....