So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

4 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Masayuki "JoJo" Takayanagi - Free Form Suite (Free Blind Mice, 1972)

Front.jpeg

The first tune of this could be Guiffre. The rest, less so. 

I think that's such a clever album, the way they progress through the styles on each track from the Giuffre 3 to something way beyond that by the end. i can remember playing it for the first time and thinking "what's this?" on that first track as I'd bought it unheard and was expecting full-on from the off

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bengt-Arne Wallin - Old Folklore in Swedish Modern (DUX, 1962)

R-1696843-1273440745.jpeg.jpg

Well this was a surprise! New to me and possibly the best thing I have listened to all week. Folk, pagan, exotica and jazz in big band setting with some excellent Sahib Shihab, from the 1960s Swedish scene.

Another excellent recommendation from the Euromodernism thread.

Now on to The Magic of Ju Ju (Impulse!, 1968) by Archie Shepp.

The_Magic_of_Ju-Ju.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Jazz Sur Seine (Philips, 1959)

R-5978205-1423293145-6584.jpeg.jpg

I am interested to learn from Discogs that this was not in fact originally a Barney Wilen leader date, and that he was in fact second named co-billing.

Is that the session where Milt only plays piano?

19 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

a2054668205_10.jpg

Seems an age ago I ordered the LP and I've just checked, it's not shipping until January. That's taking the piss, JiB

31 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Seems an age ago I ordered the LP and I've just checked, it's not shipping until January. That's taking the piss, JiB

I was convinced a month or so ago that they were showing the vinyl as ready for shipment within 2 days but maybe not. All the smaller operations over here seem to have been hit by plant capacity issues.

1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

I was convinced a month or so ago that they were showing the vinyl as ready for shipment within 2 days but maybe not. All the smaller operations over here seem to have been hit by plant capacity issues.

I think it's had several dates, it certainly wasn't 2022 when I ordered it. I daren't now look at the Mandala ship date. I usually wait for the LP rather than listening to the download but I think exceptions need to be made soon 

15 hours ago, soulpope said:

aecbaf47d4.jpg

Beloved platter ....

Oh yeah, Dușco Goicovici , I loved him. This is another musician who was presented at Herwig Wurzer´s Jazz Shop. That Macedonia stuff is great, isn´t one of the tunes that wonderful "saga secorama". And the other , more "american" thing was an Enja recording "After Hours". 
And I love his trumpet sound....., once I heard that Miles also liked him very much and was the first who told him to go to the States. 

5 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh yeah, Dușco Goicovici , I loved him. This is another musician who was presented at Herwig Wurzer´s Jazz Shop. That Macedonia stuff is great, isn´t one of the tunes that wonderful "saga secorama". And the other , more "american" thing was an Enja recording "After Hours". 
And I love his trumpet sound....., once I heard that Miles also liked him very much and was the first who told him to go to the States. 

"Saga Se Karame" .... and amen about everything else :D ....