Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Ambrose Akinmusire - When The Heart Emerges Glistening (Blue Note, 2011)When_The_Heart_Emerges_Glistening_-_album_cover.jpg

It's my first time listening to this, having been a bit turned off by his more recent albums with their attempts at crossover. I'm struck by how strong it is.

It's a favourite here.  Try and listen to the one previous on Fresh Sound New Talent, it's the one the alerted me to him (apart from playing with Steve Coleman) and is very strong

Ambrose Akinmusire

9 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm interested to know what this is like. It's an interesting mix of players.

Stylistically it is a bit wandering from a post-bop stance with occasional Monkian touches and a bit of smooth fusion, and one quartet track where he plays very Jarretesque and even "sings"--and the soprano sax there is Keith-like as well. Very well-recorded disc.

Edited by jazzbo

9 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Stylistically it is a bit wandering from a post-bop stance with occasional Monkian touches and a bit of smooth fusion, and one quartet track where he plays very Jarretesque and even "sings"--and the soprano sax there is Keith-like as well. Very well-recorded disc.

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Does tha tmean that a Quad mix was made, if so, what are the odds that it still exists and can be turned into a Surround Sound type epic sonographical transmission even?

Good question. Hoping the answer is yes to the quad mix...

NP: 

R-4603780-1549206588-2434.jpeg.jpg

Fantastic record, produced by Cannonball. 

Earlier it was:

R-1574360-1525228554-5620.jpeg.jpg

With this one I had to get by the challenging mix as the overall sound is substandard. However, once the groove settles in I dug the hell out of this album. Richard Davis is a monster on the bass (electric here) and it sounds like he and Bellson are really enjoying themselves. Frank Owens comps better than he solos (and talking the mix, his piano sounds almost electric even when it's not - and it is on track 4 "Little Suede Shoes"). And while I can't tell which order Soloff and Faddis solo in, it doesn't matter because the playing is terrific. Stitt doesn't solo as much as you'd think given it's his leader date but no matter. 

R-3400249-1328921709.jpeg.jpg

Higgins is all over this one. Great session from '66. 

Lee Morgan "Complete Live at the Lighthouse" box set, disc 5

3979900-2718026.jpg?ae=1848568140

This is a great box set. I wish I could go back in time and experiment with Jymie a better cable for Jymie's Ampeg bass. I'd like to try one of my Analysis Plus Bass Oval cables, or my best cable, a TARA Labs patch cord I purchased from a recording studio. That bass sound needs some help and I think a good cable would be an improvement.

R-1029493-1416775517-2164.jpeg.jpg

Pulled this out after falling asleep with my Sun Ra Radio Pandora station on and then waking up a few hours later with the ending of "Images" blaring loud and proud...I though I had been moved to another, better, and stronger world there for a second.

Re-listening to this one. This is my first exposure to the two women saxophonists in this quartet, and to the leader on drums, having heard him on piano before.

Interesting music, seems Coleman inspired and following harmelodic structure, and also sounds rather fresh and contemporary, helped in that aspect by excellent recording. I have one more of his recordings I will put on soon.

Enrique Haneine "Mind's Mural"

88829580708.jpg?20200704032331