Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Someone else mentioned/endorsed this a bit more recently than Berthold, adding that Fresh Sound had put it out with additional small group tracks recorded in the studio a few days after the Summit gig. I just picked it up minus the small group tracks on a Real Gone compilation of seven Bellson albums, and I agree that this is an exceptional album. For one thing, most of the charts are by Benny Carter at the top of his game (those sax-section soli), the band is inspired, as is Bellson (he and bassist Jimmy Bond are locked in), and Joe Maini's several solos are the best I've ever heard from him. Also, the other poster who mentioned this album noted the presence of tenorman Carrington Visor, who in fact plays his ass off when he gets chance.

Hey, that was me who mentioned that album a couple days ago.  Glad you enjoyed it.  For me, the  band heard here was every bit as exciting as the Terry Gibbs Dream Band (heard on a number of albums issued long after their heyday). Louie Bellson was always one of my favorite drummers and this band sounded very fresh and lively.  Are the other albums included in that Real Gone collection other Roulette albums?  Are they a mix of big band and small group sessions?I wonder is a Louis Bellson Complete Roulette Leader Recordings boxed set would have ever made sense?  (It would have been too big a set if it included the sessions he made with his wife for Roulette.)

Recent listening:

MI0002760690.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Wild and Free - Live at the Keystone Korner

:tup:tup!!  An excellent recording!  I hope they find enough good material to warrant a follow-up release.

2 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Hey, that was me who mentioned that album a couple days ago.  Glad you enjoyed it.  For me, the  band heard here was every bit as exciting as the Terry Gibbs Dream Band (heard on a number of albums issued long after their heyday). Louie Bellson was always one of my favorite drummers and this band sounded very fresh and lively.  Are the other albums included in that Real Gone collection other Roulette albums?  Are they a mix of big band and small group sessions?I wonder is a Louis Bellson Complete Roulette Leader Recordings boxed set would have ever made sense?  (It would have been too big a set if it included the sessions he made with his wife for Roulette.)

Recent listening:

MI0002760690.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

:tup:tup!!  An excellent recording!  I hope they find enough good material to warrant a follow-up release.

No, the others on that Real Gone set are all Granz recordings from the '50s, plus a 1952 one on Capitol with fellow Ellingtonians of the time. Haven't listened to all of them yet, but what I have heard is quite good. I agree that the Summit band was as fine as, maybe better than, the Gibbs band of the time. Bellson's band played out more; to me Gibbs' band always sounded like they were playing Bill Holman charts even when they weren't. Nothing against Holman, but his insistently linear approach often made bands sound somewhat smaller than they were -- again, not a negative, just a matter of chosen style. Certainly those Benny Carter charts on the Bellson album are a joy. On the Granz dates, there's some quite striking Charlie Shavers, if you care for him (and he can be over the top). On one date he and an exuberant Zoot Sims are the horns. Interesting when they trade fours on one track to hear how Zoot reacts to Shavers' flamboyant inventiveness; you can almost here in his responses how Zoot can't quite believe what he's just heard from Shavers. Charlie's chops were unreal. BTW, on the tracks that are drum features or have Bellson solos of some length, I find myself intrigued by his bubbly inventiveness. And does he ever swing.