Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jlhoots

Cecil Taylor In Berlin 1988 FMP box

23 posts in this topic

I will sell this box for $450 + packing, shipping & insurance. Let's say $475.

CDs, book & box all in excellent condition.

Cashier's check or personal check - deposit to clear before I ship. Will use FedEx or UPS with tracking number provided.

USA only, no credit cards, no PayPal.

PM me if you want it & I'll provide my address to mail payment.

If you’re worried about PayPal charging a fee, use the friends and family option; no fees to the recipient. 

O.K. - I'll "eat" the packing, shipping, insurance.

$450 all inclusive!!

Other "requirements" as above.

UP

BTW, I'm not the e-bay seller from the previous thread.

On 12.9.2018 at 7:35 PM, mjazzg said:

wrong side of the pond

alas, yeah ...

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Nobody in the US wants it??

That does seem crazy. Great music.

I can't afford it.

I ran it through an inflation calculator, and jlhoots' asking price is only slightly more than I paid for it in 1989 when adjusted for inflation - and I don't remember what I paid for shipping, but that probably evens it out.

Edited by jeffcrom

I may be in the minority here but mailing a check is not an effort I’ll make to buy something these days. The only check written is for life insurance and it infuriates me that it can’t be paid online, but it’s a really good deal through my wife’s union. 

I agree. PayPal is easier and with Friends and Family you don’t incur any fees.  

If you truly want an item, it should be worth the "trouble" of writing a check and no reason to be infuriated.

2 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

I ran it through an inflation calculator, and jlhoots' asking price is only slightly more than I paid for it in 1989 when adjusted for inflation - and I don't remember what I paid for shipping, but that probably evens it out.

It's certainly a fair price, but adjusting backwards for inflation, I couldn't afford it then, either.

19 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It's certainly a fair price, but adjusting backwards for inflation, I couldn't afford it then, either.

I couldn't either, but I bought it anyway. That was a long time ago, and I don't really remember how I managed to pay for it. I probably had a string of high-money gigs that made it possible. So most likely "Wind Beneath My Wings" and "Margaritaville" paid for Cecil Taylor.

Edited by jeffcrom

46 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

I couldn't either, but I bought it anyway. That was a long time ago, and I don't really remember how I managed to pay for it. I probably had a string of high-money gigs that made it possible. So most likely "Wind Beneath My Wings" and "Margaritaville" paid for Cecil Taylor.

Sorta like Norah Jones paying for all of those Tina Brooks BN Conn reissues.

Sets of this immensity, I usually find used in one condition or another and pay a condition-appropriate price. Still don't have this one or an Ellington RCA Centennial box. The fate of the bottom-feeder. :mellow:

Jeez - I'll pay for the stamp!! Take 50 cents off the price. Check, money order, cashier's check. I don't get what the problem is. I still write checks. Guess I'm old.

I'd be glad to write you a check, that's not the problem. :(

Reality check.  Regardless of being "worth it" in terms of fair market price or not (not what is at question here, we all assume it is), this is $450, not spare change.  That's an economic show-stopper for all but very well-to-do Cecil Taylor utter diehards who don't already own it, which will make for a VERY limited audience.  Should not be that surprising and not a grounds for criticism from anyone that no one has stepped forward to buy it.

I'll leave it up for a while longer. I'm well aware that the amount is not spare change.