Blue Note's TONE POET series.

Dmitry

My comment was in response to the post about recent Tone Poet reissues sticking to titles you hold in "high regard", which I took to mean "favorites". I have a lot of favorite Blue Note CDs, but even I would not consider the entire Blue Note catalog as a favorite. :)

I also have to say, that a lot of my favorite Blue Notes were released in the Music Matters Jazz 33 rpm series, which I'm glad I got.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Joe Harley said:

What was stated: "I might believe that these are Joe's favorites but I'm sure this rule is forcing Joe to skip some records that he normally wouldn't." My not wanting to endlessly repeat the same great titles we did at MMJ over and over again has nothing to do with my choice of titles for the Tone Poet program. I love all of those titles we did at MMJ. And I love what we are doing now.  There are SO many great titles that have yet to be reissued. And remember, we draw from the whole family of Blue Note labels, including Pacific Jazz, UA, World Pacific, Transition, Capitol and many more. Can we please everyone, all the time? No. But this is the most successful vinyl reissue program in the history of the label. We appear to be pleasing quite a few.

Thanks for your vision Joe - the album selection has been fantastic.  I have loved all the LT/Rainbow titles, among others.  Now, every Big John Patton title please 😂

3 hours ago, Eric said:

Thanks for your vision Joe - the album selection has been fantastic.  I have loved all the LT/Rainbow titles, among others.  Now, every Big John Patton title please 😂

I agree with Eric's sentiments.  I have all the Tone Poet releases and hope the program continues well into the future .   I am curious about which Capitol titles might be in play??

16 hours ago, Joe Harley said:

What was stated: "I might believe that these are Joe's favorites but I'm sure this rule is forcing Joe to skip some records that he normally wouldn't." My not wanting to endlessly repeat the same great titles we did at MMJ over and over again has nothing to do with my choice of titles for the Tone Poet program. I love all of those titles we did at MMJ. And I love what we are doing now.  There are SO many great titles that have yet to be reissued. And remember, we draw from the whole family of Blue Note labels, including Pacific Jazz, UA, World Pacific, Transition, Capitol and many more. Can we please everyone, all the time? No. But this is the most successful vinyl reissue program in the history of the label. We appear to be pleasing quite a few.

I am really enjoying the reissue series and I like the diversity in the program which makes it much more exciting than the rather tame Verve Acoustic Sounds series. Also glad not everything is my taste as than it would become a very expensive habit collecting those TP’s. I do pity the fact that all the MMJ’s are skipped as those limited and extremely expensive releases aren’t quite really avaible to most people. 

I may have said this before, but since I already own perfectly good versions of most of BN's catalog, I haven't bought many Tone Poets and no Classics, but the 4 I got have all been very good - no pressing flaws and very good sound.  For the records, BM, Bring It Home to Me; HV, Steppin' Out; DP, The Phantom; and HM, Curtain Call.  There are 2 in the next batch I'm thinking of getting.  I would buy 3 Sounds I don't already have but I don't do upgrades generally.  Keep up the good work Joe.  And yes, I definitely noticed the wonky piano sound on the samples of Black Fire I heard online, not so much elsewhere.

I don't do vinyl upgrades as well except for the 75th anniversary series. Those really sound crappy sometimes. I don't need to buy Tina Brooks' True Blue nor Jackie McLean's Let Freedom Ring as I own perfect other versions of them. But I did sell my Hutcherson's Happenings and Joe Henderson's Mode For Joe to buy them in the new classic series.

On 11/23/2023 at 10:45 AM, dougcrates said:

I agree with Eric's sentiments.  I have all the Tone Poet releases and hope the program continues well into the future .   I am curious about which Capitol titles might be in play??

You'll be seeing a few of those starting in 2025, already mastered. And thank you!

On 11/23/2023 at 10:46 AM, Pim said:

I am really enjoying the reissue series and I like the diversity in the program which makes it much more exciting than the rather tame Verve Acoustic Sounds series. Also glad not everything is my taste as than it would become a very expensive habit collecting those TP’s. I do pity the fact that all the MMJ’s are skipped as those limited and extremely expensive releases aren’t quite really avaible to most people. 

Many of the titles we put out at MMJ are showing up in the Blue Note Classic Series at very affordable prices.

On 11/23/2023 at 12:53 PM, Brad said:

Since we have Joe’s attention, how about a Three Sounds disc. It’s been years since BN reissued one. 

You'll be seeing some of those in the Blue Note Classic Series Brad.

8 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Happy to hear we'll be getting some 3 Sounds Tone Poets.  I enjoy the early work very much and wouldn't mind a further expansion of Live at the Lighthouse if the tapes still exist.

I think Joe mentioned they will not be Tone Poet but Classic Vinyl Series.

• 3 months later...

I like the Tone Poet series. The quality is very good and I just pick out the albums I really love as it's nice to have them in vinyl with the larger cover art. 

Blue Notes does seem though to be in a bit of a logical conundrum. The Tone Poet series tends to focus more on more obscure releases, the kinds of titles that used to come out in the Connoisseur Series on CD. Meanwhile, they also have the Classic Vinyl series, which is good but doesn't have as much artwork. So they are doing nicer releases for the obscure stuff, and more ordinary releases for the most popular items in the BN catalog. Kind of seems backwards from what you might want. 

2 hours ago, Face of the Bass said:

I like the Tone Poet series. The quality is very good and I just pick out the albums I really love as it's nice to have them in vinyl with the larger cover art. 

Blue Notes does seem though to be in a bit of a logical conundrum. The Tone Poet series tends to focus more on more obscure releases, the kinds of titles that used to come out in the Connoisseur Series on CD. Meanwhile, they also have the Classic Vinyl series, which is good but doesn't have as much artwork. So they are doing nicer releases for the obscure stuff, and more ordinary releases for the most popular items in the BN catalog. Kind of seems backwards from what you might want. 

I rather prefer it this way.  I don't need yet another super-duper version of Moanin' or The Sidewinder.  But Katanga (Curtis Amy) or Dance With Death (Andrew Hill), bring it on.  They are doing a number of the Japan-first, Rainbow-later titles with cool artwork. 

On 2/28/2024 at 10:17 PM, Eric said:

I rather prefer it this way.  I don't need yet another super-duper version of Moanin' or The Sidewinder.  But Katanga (Curtis Amy) or Dance With Death (Andrew Hill), bring it on.  They are doing a number of the Japan-first, Rainbow-later titles with cool artwork. 

That's a good point, but if you want a new vinyl copy of the more common titles, what super-duper versions are in print right now? I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to see them do the Tone Poet treatment for their whole catalogue from the 1950s and 1960s. 

6 hours ago, Face of the Bass said:

That's a good point, but if you want a new vinyl copy of the more common titles, what super-duper versions are in print right now? I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to see them do the Tone Poet treatment for their whole catalogue from the 1950s and 1960s. 

Most of the popular titles are in print in the Classic series which runs concurrently with the Tone Poet series.  So best of both worlds, I think.