EKE BBB

What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

2,722 posts in this topic

0190759419724_600x600.jpg

From just listening to the song samples available online, I was a little dubious about this album, but it was cheap enough so I took a chance and bought it anyway.  So glad I did as this is one of the finest albums I've heard all year!

Not the sonic revelation I was hoping for, and no liner notes, and less bonus material than the "Message in a Box" set from 25 years ago.   That being said, the packaging is nice (full minl-lp's with gatefolds), no real problems with the sound, the missing live bonus material is not of much value (I never found their live material compelling compared to the studio recordings), and it cost me $22 shipped from Amazon UK for the six CD set.  If you have "Message in a Box", you probably don't need too bother with this.  If you don't, this is the way to go.

Image result for police the studio recordings"

3 hours ago, felser said:

Not the sonic revelation I was hoping for, and no liner notes, and less bonus material than the "Message in a Box" set from 25 years ago.   That being said, the packaging is nice (full minl-lp's with gatefolds), no real problems with the sound, the missing live bonus material is not of much value (I never found their live material compelling compared to the studio recordings), and it cost me $22 shipped from Amazon UK for the six CD set.  If you have "Message in a Box", you probably don't need too bother with this.  If you don't, this is the way to go.

Image result for police the studio recordings"

Thanks for the comments, felser. I might consider getting this box.

Image result for grateful dead aoxomoxoa 50th"

Edited by felser

17 minutes ago, felser said:

Image result for grateful dead aoxomoxoa 50th"

Great disc. I’m assuming they’ll be doing a 50th  of Workingman’s Dead, a classic. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Great disc. I’m assuming they’ll be doing a 50th  of Workingman’s Dead, a classic. 

I also assume they'll keep going.  Next up would be Live/Dead, my favorite in their original run.

For Dead fans:

Ready or Not is coming out today. These were nine unreleased live songs that the GD started playing in 92 or 93 with the intention that they would be part of a studio album that never came to be.

60F1ABFD-C250-4BFC-89B5-B9A9DC79FAC2-L.j

This Rockpalast CD/DVD series is amazing.  Great sound quality, inspired performances, and very inexpensive.

Image result for big country rockpalast"

Image result for richard thompson rockpalast"

1 hour ago, EKE BBB said:

3C153165-8ADF-4105-BA87-CC6341C86BC5.jpeg

Terrific :tup

Leonard Cohen - Thanks for the Dance

leonard-cohen-thanks-for-the-dance.jpg

I only heard about this posthumous release today, so I am absorbing it in real time.  First impressions are that it is (not surprisingly) pretty similar to You Want It Darker.  I'd say that Adam Cohen (Leonard's son) has done a good job pulling these unfinished tracks together.  I'm a moderate (not huge) Cohen fan, and I can envision spinning this on a semi-regular basis.

Couple of reviews - https://montrealgazette.com/entertainment/music/review-leonard-cohens-spirit-moves-us-on-thanks-for-the-dance

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/nov/22/leonard-cohen-thanks-for-the-dance-review-columbia

19 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

Leonard Cohen - Thanks for the Dance

leonard-cohen-thanks-for-the-dance.jpg

I only heard about this posthumous release today, so I am absorbing it in real time.  First impressions are that it is (not surprisingly) pretty similar to You Want It Darker.  I'd say that Adam Cohen (Leonard's son) has done a good job pulling these unfinished tracks together.  I'm a moderate (not huge) Cohen fan, and I can envision spinning this on a semi-regular basis.

Couple of reviews - https://montrealgazette.com/entertainment/music/review-leonard-cohens-spirit-moves-us-on-thanks-for-the-dance

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/nov/22/leonard-cohen-thanks-for-the-dance-review-columbia

29 minutes - is that correct??

30 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

29 minutes - is that correct??

Yes, it is 9 tracks, 29 minutes.

I'm sure this will be on the insert of the physical CD, but if you listen to this on iTunes, you can read Adam's notes on every single track.  Definitely worth a read.

Edited by ejp626

14 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

3C153165-8ADF-4105-BA87-CC6341C86BC5.jpeg

Classic ....

Off the new album. Beautiful rendition.

2 hours ago, Brad said:

E96E718E-3A26-46B8-8D12-C8AE04038E52.jpg

Loved them, especially the classic first album.

On 11/18/2019 at 10:40 AM, soulpope said:

What would be your Ace Deep Soul Compilation choices where they got it right both from the collector`s and the music`s perspective ..... ?

I would award some of these .... :

Various Artists 

59d2fedc40.jpg

Anmerkung-2019-11-18-193832.jpg

Individual Artists :

4dbb5d2dd0.jpg

Anmerkung-2019-11-18-193017.jpg

Sorry for taking so long to reply SP. I've been away from home (still am) and will see what I have for the Kent/Ace reissues when I get back. I just did a quick search on the nets to refresh my memory but it looks like there's quite a few releases out of print? But 100% YES to your choices - great call on "When a Man Cries" and Heart of Sothern Soul 2". Thanks for the reminder and thank you for posting the other 2 (Eddie & Ernie and Barbara & The Browns). I did not know about these!! Will order when I get back home.

As far as listening I only have my ancient ipod but that's ok, I have a gazillion and one songs on it including this fine Richard & Linda Thompson album (prompted by felser's post above).

Richard-Thompson-Pour-Down-Like-Silver.j 

Edited by Marzz