Harbour

Aketa Disk/Deep Jazz Reality reissues

12 posts in this topic

Don't know much at all, but just found the opening track "Dragon Dance" on YouTube...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool -- I have the first one on LP that Aketa did and it's relatively free. They are all quite rare, and I've not heard much else (save for the Seikatsu).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More Aketa's Disk titles are being reissued in December through the Deep Jazz Reality series.

The Shoji Aketagawa titles (those I've heard) are recommended. To me, he sounds like a blend of Jaki Byard and Cecil Taylor. 

R-8719265-1467289939-3434.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deep Jazz Reality is now reissuing titles from the Trio label, under the banner "Jazz Legends in Japan." These two Cecil Taylor titles are coming back into circulation:

R-13607089-1557411789-7770.jpeg.jpg

Solo • 1980¥ • available May 20, 2020

R-11665642-1520288808-6736.jpeg.jpg

Akisakila • 1980¥ • available May 20, 2020

I've had the music as digital files for ages, but have never owned any sort of hard copy. This can now change! CD Japan has been slow to list Deep Jazz Reality titles, but they do eventually show up on their site.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a new batch of Deep Jazz Reality - a collection of Tribe's albums, mostly Wendell Harrisons'.

The most interesting is definatyle the 2CD "A Message From The Tribe". The second CD is full of alternate mixes (which is a bit of a bummer, as there are no outtakes or live tracks, but still - some 70's music was a bit too rough and new mixing could resurrect it, like Stanton Davis on "Isis Voyage")

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/OTLCD-2475?s_ssid=e323b45e94c0fecd0a

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, barnaba.siegel said:

There's a new batch of Deep Jazz Reality - a collection of Tribe's albums, mostly Wendell Harrisons'.

The most interesting is definatyle the 2CD "A Message From The Tribe". The second CD is full of alternate mixes (which is a bit of a bummer, as there are no outtakes or live tracks, but still - some 70's music was a bit too rough and new mixing could resurrect it, like Stanton Davis on "Isis Voyage")

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/OTLCD-2475?s_ssid=e323b45e94c0fecd0a

Wow. Thanks for sharing that! I already have most of the Tribes in various formats, but since "A Message From The Tribe" is one of my all-time favorites, I think I need this 2 CD version. The P-Vine CD that came out a bunch of years ago consisted in large part of alternate vocal takes and mixes (unintentionally, I think), so I'm guessing that's what makes up the bonus disc here. The mastering on that P-Vine CD was horrible though, so I'm hoping this is a step up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2020 at 6:07 PM, Late said:

Deep Jazz Reality is now reissuing titles from the Trio label, under the banner "Jazz Legends in Japan." These two Cecil Taylor titles are coming back into circulation:

R-13607089-1557411789-7770.jpeg.jpg

Solo • 1980¥ • available May 20, 2020

R-11665642-1520288808-6736.jpeg.jpg

Akisakila • 1980¥ • available May 20, 2020

I've had the music as digital files for ages, but have never owned any sort of hard copy. This can now change! CD Japan has been slow to list Deep Jazz Reality titles, but they do eventually show up on their site.

 

I have both titles on vinyl and cd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I have both titles on vinyl and cd.

I bet the vinyl sounds good. I have vinyl rips but no hardcopies. It's about the fourth time these titles have had a compact disc reissue in Japan. But it's the first time I won't miss their limited sales window! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't dug these LPs out in ages, but they are indeed music for the ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always been interested in the Jack De Johnette - Jackeyboard one, amazingly in these days of everything being available I have never come across a rip or leak of it anywhere! Does anyone have it, what’s it like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Harbour said:

I’ve always been interested in the Jack De Johnette - Jackeyboard one, amazingly in these days of everything being available I have never come across a rip or leak of it anywhere! Does anyone have it, what’s it like?

Just dug this one out, hadn't listened to it in ages. It's fine, but not too interesting or memorable, similar to the other piano album he did in the 1980s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.